Anyone into guerilla gardening?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone into guerilla gardening?

Behind my house is 2 acre public lot. Used to be just grass. Then there was a mountain mudslide a few years ago that flooded 1/2 a dozen nearby homes. HOA trucked that mud and dumped in on the plot. They then xeriscaped it with a trees, wood chips and shrubs. I think they did a great job but there is still a lot of open space covered by wood chips. After a rain(which has been rare these last few years), the open space becomes covered by mushrooms. So I feel the soil beneath is asking to be utilized. After eating my various fruits, I've been walking the seeds over to the garden and planting them in random spots off the beaten path. I usually think "off the beaten path" ideas like these are good, which in hindsight usually mean they aren't. So any collective wisdom/insight/perspective is welcome.

LOL I do something very similar. We have a lot of "green space" in our HOA. about 100 acres in all. About half is field and half is wooded. One of the larger fields is behind our house. It grows to a chest high brush over the course of the summer and there are a few scattered trees but not enough for me. So I like to go on walks with the kids so we pick up any nuts and seeds we see and plant them in different spots. I have gotten a few to grow but the voles must get the vast majority.

Comment

careful with introducing something invasive.

if planning to eat potential fruit, consider whether soil may be contaminated.

uneaten fruit might bring mice or rats, which might attract venomous snakes.
      “. . . And the LORD spake, saying “First shalt thou take out the Holy 401k. Then shalt thou save to 20%, no more, no less. 20% shall be the number thou shalt save, and the number of the saving shall be 20%. 25% shalt thou not save, neither save thou 15%, excepting that thou then proceed to 20%. 30% is right out . . .””

Comment

Originally posted by blippi View Post
        careful with introducing something invasive.

if planning to eat potential fruit, consider whether soil may be contaminated.

uneaten fruit might bring mice or rats, which might attract venomous snakes.
        Rats and snakes need food too!

We are all contaminated; gonna die from something.

Comment

Have any of your seeds started growing?

Comment

Originally posted by Tangler View Post

I agree. Is carbon better off floating in air as CO2? Or is it better off sequestered in stems, branches, roots, leaves, fungi, bacteria, and animals(or better known as pests for many?). Not meant to be a rhetorical question.

Comment

Originally posted by pierre View Post
              Have any of your seeds started growing?
              I've started burying seeds as of two weeks ago.

Squirrel part at 1:00 min if you want to fast foward.

Comment

Originally posted by Tangler View Post

Fair.

I has in mind a sign at a fruit tree in an urban public garden i once read, that explained they had to throw out the fruit due to lead coming from the soil. That’s a contaminant I would want to avoid, but i suppose may help dumb down the rats and snakes.
                “. . . And the LORD spake, saying “First shalt thou take out the Holy 401k. Then shalt thou save to 20%, no more, no less. 20% shall be the number thou shalt save, and the number of the saving shall be 20%. 25% shalt thou not save, neither save thou 15%, excepting that thou then proceed to 20%. 30% is right out . . .””

Comment

Fair.

I has in mind a sign at a fruit tree in an urban public garden i once read, that explained they had to throw out the fruit due to lead coming from the soil. That’s a contaminant I would want to avoid, but i suppose may help dumb down the rats and snakes.
                  "Unleaded fruit trees"? Might be labeled that way.

Comment

Fair.

Urban living is over-rated

Comment

Are dumbed down venomous snakes less poisonous, or their strike quickness slows down a bit? That might help a bit.

Comment

Originally posted by Kamban View Post

Are dumbed down venomous snakes less poisonous, or their strike quickness slows down a bit? That might help a bit.
                        http://www.rattlesnakeroundup.net
                        Just organize a roundup. Fun for the whole family, catching venomous snakes. What could go wrong?

Comment

Originally posted by Tim View Post
                          http://www.rattlesnakeroundup.net
                          Just organize a roundup. Fun for the whole family, catching venomous snakes. What could go wrong?
                          Returning home with less family members than you started out with.

Comment

Originally posted by Kamban View Post

Returning home with less family members than you started out with.
                            https://www.snakes.ngo/about/
                            Some say that humans need to adapt and coexist with the critters. Of course.

Comment

Working...
                            X