Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zaphod
    replied
    In plastic surgery, they are pretty much extremely important and used by patients. I thought the article explained the issue well, you basically are hampered by medicolegal issues into defending yourself at all, which leads lots of practices to bending over backward for bad pts, and then of course to more bad behavior since it gets rewarded.

Sometimes pts do get vindictive, and have heard of whole sites devoted to defamation, etc...

The doctor is exceedingly famous and respected in the plastics field, probably one of the best rhinoplasty doctors, ever. Can still have less than perfect outcomes of course. I also doubt he gave a guarantee of any nature, its not like he would need to anyway, hes not at a loss for business. I've never met him but one of my colleagues did a fellowship with him.

People have been sued for online reviews in the past (non medical), sometimes egregiously so depending on the sites rules. There should be better disclaimers and some way for people to understand the nature/gravity of what theyre potentially exposing themselves to in a legal sense. Its the asymmetry of public opinion/reputation at risk that drives people mad. I get that, but then again we have a huge asymmetry of doctor knowledge, though pts dont think so anymore...

I was reading reviews of a surgeon yesterday and could not believe the stuff that was allowed on their own facebook page. If you're in a review heavy field like plastics this kind of thing needs to be managed or not engaged at all.

I find it hard to be a single review, unless persistent and vigilant in their desire to ruin you could do to much damage though, its like any other review. The weight of the overall will set an anchor and the outliers will be judged accordingly.

The other thing is many professional review sites allow 'managing' reviews, aka, hiding bad stuff. So dont just believe what you read out there, if its a smart practice they keep an eye on all the terrible things and bury them.

Another minor edit.

Leave a comment:

• Hatton
    replied
    To me her nose looked fine before and after.  Some people are never satisfied and I suspect cosmetic surgery patients are the hardest to please.

Leave a comment:

• Craigy
    replied
    In case you don't have a subscription: http://archive.is/yDIXK

Here's the review in question...  8O   https://www.realself.com/review/cleveland-revision-rhinoplasty-dr-bahman-guyuron

Leave a comment:

• G
    replied
    Yeah, I don't read them either, but the nurses keep tabs and point out the really ripe ones.

As someone said elsewhere, I wish we could rate patients.

Leave a comment:

• ajm184
    replied
    The lawyer is playing fast and loose with his wording defending the 'reviews'.  A review be it for a doctor, movie, or restaurant is meant to influence potential patrons either individually or collectively.  To say the review didn't damage the doctors reputation is an argument difficult to prove/quantify on both sides.   There is zero chance in my opinion that a plastic surgeon (or any other type of surgeon) would 'guarantee' an outcome.  I would guess also the reason the patient used the 'review' approach versus suing is that the doctor has an ironclad agreement with respect to being an 'elective' procedure with no guarantee of outcome.

It seems as though the doctor is also looking to send a message to patients and for the physician community in general. The message being, don't be anonymous and be truthful in reviews.

When the price of settlement rises, the doctor is looking for a scalp at this point and IMO doesn't really care about the money.  In addition, it speaks to what he (and his lawyer) believe is a strong case, with what I expect to be very strong documentation.

My wife actually received a letter recently complimenting her skills as a physician.  The letter was quaint, but online truthful and non-anonymous reviews can serve as a positive influence on a practice.

Minor edits made by moderator to keep WCI uninvolved in an ongoing legal proceeding as much as possible.

Leave a comment:

• Hatton
    started a topic Suing over bad online reviews

Suing over bad online reviews

https://www.wsj.com/articles/doctors-defamation-suit-highlights-online-patient-reviews-1505859521  Thoughts on suing patients for bad reviews.  I never read them so I can't imagine doing it.
Working...
X