No announcement yet.

Suing over bad online reviews

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I find it hard to be a single review, unless persistent and vigilant in their desire to ruin you could do to much damage though, its like any other review. The weight of the overall will set an anchor and the outliers will be judged accordingly.
    Click to expand…

Then you must not buy into reviews in general.   ????  I know many, including myself from time to time, who will pore over dozens and dozens of reviews, virtually all positive, who will be frightened off by one or two very negative reports.  Horror stories scare people off, even if they’re few and far between. For something elective like cosmetic surgery, I would bet that most people who look at reviews when shopping for a surgeon, especially looking nationwide, would be scared off by a horror story like that.  It’s too easy to simply find someone who has zero blemishes, even if they have fewer total reviews to judge from.  People aren’t just looking at the weighted average score, they’re honing in on the negative reviews and sizing them up.  Might be one negative review in ten, a hundred, a thousand.  If it sounds legit, it’s frightening enough to go somewhere else.

Obviously people who don’t look at reviews aren’t going to be impacted.  But tons of people, especially younger people, obsess over this stuff, and I have no doubt that a single bad review for a physician could cause a measurable amount of lost revenue.  And like you mentioned, many of these people are perfectionists, possibly suffering from any number of psychoses, etc.
    Click to expand…

You’d be hard pressed to find a review of most anything without a single bad one though. I mean I look at reviews of doctors I consider working with/for/hiring, etc…its tough, nothing is transparent.

Absolutely.  There's also a definite negative-reporting bias. And there's tons of 0/5, one star reviews that have no context, or are easy to pass over since they say stuff like "no place to park" or whatever.  But for most people who read reviews, a relatively well written negative review that's hits on topics relevant to the reader will have a big negative effect when shopping.

Comment

I find it hard to be a single review, unless persistent and vigilant in their desire to ruin you could do to much damage though, its like any other review. The weight of the overall will set an anchor and the outliers will be judged accordingly.
      Click to expand…

Then you must not buy into reviews in general.   ????  I know many, including myself from time to time, who will pore over dozens and dozens of reviews, virtually all positive, who will be frightened off by one or two very negative reports.  Horror stories scare people off, even if they’re few and far between. For something elective like cosmetic surgery, I would bet that most people who look at reviews when shopping for a surgeon, especially looking nationwide, would be scared off by a horror story like that.  It’s too easy to simply find someone who has zero blemishes, even if they have fewer total reviews to judge from.  People aren’t just looking at the weighted average score, they’re honing in on the negative reviews and sizing them up.  Might be one negative review in ten, a hundred, a thousand.  If it sounds legit, it’s frightening enough to go somewhere else.

Obviously people who don’t look at reviews aren’t going to be impacted.  But tons of people, especially younger people, obsess over this stuff, and I have no doubt that a single bad review for a physician could cause a measurable amount of lost revenue.  And like you mentioned, many of these people are perfectionists, possibly suffering from any number of psychoses, etc.
      Click to expand…

You’d be hard pressed to find a review of most anything without a single bad one though. I mean I look at reviews of doctors I consider working with/for/hiring, etc…its tough, nothing is transparent.
      Click to expand…

Absolutely.  There’s also a definite negative-reporting bias. And there’s tons of 0/5, one star reviews that have no context, or are easy to pass over since they say stuff like “no place to park” or whatever.  But for most people who read reviews, a relatively well written negative review that’s hits on topics relevant to the reader will have a big negative effect when shopping.

True, but luckily most terrible reviews look like they were written by a lunatic.

Comment

Click to expand…

Click to expand…

Click to expand…

Absolutely.  There’s also a definite negative-reporting bias. And there’s tons of 0/5, one star reviews that have no context, or are easy to pass over since they say stuff like “no place to park” or whatever.  But for most people who read reviews, a relatively well written negative review that’s hits on topics relevant to the reader will have a big negative effect when shopping.
        Click to expand…

True, but luckily most terrible reviews look like they were written by a lunatic.

Well...lunacy to your eyes.... 

Comment

I don't think that day is that far off. Uber drivers our rating us.

Comment

In order for my patients to rate me, they'd have to know I exist in the first place.  Security through obscurity at its finest!

Comment

or, as I like to say, if my patients remember me, I did a bad job!

Comment

Working...
              X