Suing over bad online reviews

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suing over bad online reviews

https://www.wsj.com/articles/doctors-defamation-suit-highlights-online-patient-reviews-1505859521  Thoughts on suing patients for bad reviews.  I never read them so I can't imagine doing it.

The lawyer is playing fast and loose with his wording defending the 'reviews'.  A review be it for a doctor, movie, or restaurant is meant to influence potential patrons either individually or collectively.  To say the review didn't damage the doctors reputation is an argument difficult to prove/quantify on both sides.   There is zero chance in my opinion that a plastic surgeon (or any other type of surgeon) would 'guarantee' an outcome.  I would guess also the reason the patient used the 'review' approach versus suing is that the doctor has an ironclad agreement with respect to being an 'elective' procedure with no guarantee of outcome.

It seems as though the doctor is also looking to send a message to patients and for the physician community in general. The message being, don't be anonymous and be truthful in reviews.

When the price of settlement rises, the doctor is looking for a scalp at this point and IMO doesn't really care about the money.  In addition, it speaks to what he (and his lawyer) believe is a strong case, with what I expect to be very strong documentation.

My wife actually received a letter recently complimenting her skills as a physician.  The letter was quaint, but online truthful and non-anonymous reviews can serve as a positive influence on a practice.

Minor edits made by moderator to keep WCI uninvolved in an ongoing legal proceeding as much as possible.

Comment

Yeah, I don't read them either, but the nurses keep tabs and point out the really ripe ones.

As someone said elsewhere, I wish we could rate patients.

Comment

In case you don't have a subscription: http://archive.is/yDIXK

Here's the review in question...  8O   https://www.realself.com/review/cleveland-revision-rhinoplasty-dr-bahman-guyuron

Comment

To me her nose looked fine before and after.  Some people are never satisfied and I suspect cosmetic surgery patients are the hardest to please.

Comment

In plastic surgery, they are pretty much extremely important and used by patients. I thought the article explained the issue well, you basically are hampered by medicolegal issues into defending yourself at all, which leads lots of practices to bending over backward for bad pts, and then of course to more bad behavior since it gets rewarded.

Sometimes pts do get vindictive, and have heard of whole sites devoted to defamation, etc...

The doctor is exceedingly famous and respected in the plastics field, probably one of the best rhinoplasty doctors, ever. Can still have less than perfect outcomes of course. I also doubt he gave a guarantee of any nature, its not like he would need to anyway, hes not at a loss for business. I've never met him but one of my colleagues did a fellowship with him.

People have been sued for online reviews in the past (non medical), sometimes egregiously so depending on the sites rules. There should be better disclaimers and some way for people to understand the nature/gravity of what theyre potentially exposing themselves to in a legal sense. Its the asymmetry of public opinion/reputation at risk that drives people mad. I get that, but then again we have a huge asymmetry of doctor knowledge, though pts dont think so anymore...

I was reading reviews of a surgeon yesterday and could not believe the stuff that was allowed on their own facebook page. If you're in a review heavy field like plastics this kind of thing needs to be managed or not engaged at all.

I find it hard to be a single review, unless persistent and vigilant in their desire to ruin you could do to much damage though, its like any other review. The weight of the overall will set an anchor and the outliers will be judged accordingly.

The other thing is many professional review sites allow 'managing' reviews, aka, hiding bad stuff. So dont just believe what you read out there, if its a smart practice they keep an eye on all the terrible things and bury them.

Another minor edit.

Comment

To me her nose looked fine before and after.  Some people are never satisfied and I suspect cosmetic surgery patients are the hardest to please.

Nose patients are reliably/validated the very least satisfied of all cosmetic surgery patients. It goes nose>face>body>breast as far as always unhappy to always happy. People that do noses, they hate themselves or something.

I have made my practice the opposite, heavily weighted to the always happy scale and dont do noses at all.

Comment

As a radiologist, I am rarely reviewed. One of the few was a patient who had a bad result and confused me with someone else. I was only peripherally involved in the case, wrong site surgery, and only after all the damage was done. Like a lawsuit, my name got rolled up in the mess.

I also have three "one star" reviews from an eBay dust up. I purchased an item from a college student, she intentionally substituted an inferior and cheaper item, and while we were going through the dispute process, three negative ratings showed up on my WebMD profile. When confronted, she all but admitted to doing it.

So my online professional profile is a bit of a mess!

Comment

As a radiologist, I am rarely reviewed. One of the few was a patient who had a bad result and confused me with someone else. I was only peripherally involved in the case, wrong site surgery, and only after all the damage was done. Like a lawsuit, my name got rolled up in the mess.

I also have three “one star” reviews from an eBay dust up. I purchased an item from a college student, she intentionally substituted an inferior and cheaper item, and while we were going through the dispute process, three negative ratings showed up on my Healthgrades profile. When confronted, she all but admitted to doing it.

So my online professional profile is a bit of a mess!

LOL. My buddy and I are always enjoying the Ebay process. You have to be anonymous, people talk smack about it, and even though its impossible in reality it only takes a bored person to do some damage. Ebay people are crazy, complaining about used 3 dollar items like you impugned their mother. Their heavily weighted to the buyer rules have turned me off of ebay recently.

Maybe you should email this and other people sued for reviews and get it removed.

Comment

I'm so happy that nobody reads reviews before going to the ED and doesn't pick their doctor anyway. I can essentially completely ignore online reviews. Although the nurses do pull up some really good ones occasionally.
                    Helping those who wear the white coat get a fair shake on Wall Street since 2011

Comment

I rarely read reviews because I figure if I never bother to review online products, doctors, dentists why would anyone else.  If I like something I continue to use it if I don't like it I quit. I guess it is a generational thing.

Comment

I’m so happy that nobody reads reviews before going to the ED and doesn’t pick their doctor anyway. I can essentially completely ignore online reviews. Although the nurses do pull up some really good ones occasionally.

That is largely my situation. In general, you do not pick your radiologist.

A couple years ago, there was the wife (and hospital volunteer) of an elderly patient (mid-late 80's) who expressed concern to the Hospital CEO that the guy (me) who was going to do a biopsy on her husband had such a limited Healthgrades profile. She completely discarded the fact that we met under similar circumstances several years earlier, valuing whatever was on the internet over previous experience with me. LOL

Comment

I never had placed any importance on the online reviews until a couple of patients told me that they had difficulty locating me since when they searched for my specialty my name never came up except I was near the bottom when they looked for me. The only reason they found me was by word of mouth. No bad reviews but no good ones either. Yet they commented on the good care I gave them, once I saw them as a patient.

One day I asked three of those patients to write reviews about me on the three main rating sites. They could write wherever they liked. Lo and behold, my rating shot up from 42nd to 7th position. And I am happy to be at that place.

Comment

I find it hard to be a single review, unless persistent and vigilant in their desire to ruin you could do to much damage though, its like any other review. The weight of the overall will set an anchor and the outliers will be judged accordingly.

Then you must not buy into reviews in general.     I know many, including myself from time to time, who will pore over dozens and dozens of reviews, virtually all positive, who will be frightened off by one or two very negative reports.  Horror stories scare people off, even if they're few and far between. For something elective like cosmetic surgery, I would bet that most people who look at reviews when shopping for a surgeon, especially looking nationwide, would be scared off by a horror story like that.  It's too easy to simply find someone who has zero blemishes, even if they have fewer total reviews to judge from.  People aren't just looking at the weighted average score, they're honing in on the negative reviews and sizing them up.  Might be one negative review in ten, a hundred, a thousand.  If it sounds legit, it's frightening enough to go somewhere else.

Obviously people who don't look at reviews aren't going to be impacted.  But tons of people, especially younger people, obsess over this stuff, and I have no doubt that a single bad review for a physician could cause a measurable amount of lost revenue.  And like you mentioned, many of these people are perfectionists, possibly suffering from any number of psychoses, etc.

Comment

Click to expand…

Then you must not buy into reviews in general.   ????  I know many, including myself from time to time, who will pore over dozens and dozens of reviews, virtually all positive, who will be frightened off by one or two very negative reports.  Horror stories scare people off, even if they’re few and far between. For something elective like cosmetic surgery, I would bet that most people who look at reviews when shopping for a surgeon, especially looking nationwide, would be scared off by a horror story like that.  It’s too easy to simply find someone who has zero blemishes, even if they have fewer total reviews to judge from.  People aren’t just looking at the weighted average score, they’re honing in on the negative reviews and sizing them up.  Might be one negative review in ten, a hundred, a thousand.  If it sounds legit, it’s frightening enough to go somewhere else.

Obviously people who don’t look at reviews aren’t going to be impacted.  But tons of people, especially younger people, obsess over this stuff, and I have no doubt that a single bad review for a physician could cause a measurable amount of lost revenue.  And like you mentioned, many of these people are perfectionists, possibly suffering from any number of psychoses, etc.

You'd be hard pressed to find a review of most anything without a single bad one though. I mean I look at reviews of doctors I consider working with/for/hiring, etc...its tough, nothing is transparent.

Comment

Working...
                              X