Travel Is it worse now than ever?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Travel Is it worse now than ever?

Lordosis style poll: Travel experience lately.
    Flight cancellations? Inability to get a rental car? Delays? Gas really cheap now too!

I am currently sitting in an airport. My flight cancelled.

I tried to get another flight on the same airline, impossible, and they would not / could not find another flight on a different airline. I tried to get a rental car, no cars available.

I paid for another flight (First class was all that was available) (some perks to being FI). Now I am chilling. Drinking good coffee and getting some side hustle work done on my computer while waiting for my late first class flight.

In a minute I will find something to eat. Burrito or BBQ. I also did some pushups (yeah, I'm that weird dude in the corner doing sets of pushups).

My life is really good. Not complaining too much. (Not trying to dodge IEDs or S-Vests like some kid in Iraq etc.)

Pretty easy life. No rush. On "vacation" for next two weeks and not going to stress.

BUT I figured I would create a Lordosis style poll and ask the question:

TRAVEL. Is your travel experience better or worse than it was say 5 years ago? Is it worse than ever?
    Yes, travel is worse than it has ever been.
    58.14%
    No, travel is fun and wonderful
    11.63%
    No, travel has always been over-rated
    18.60%
    Something else
    11.63%

Haven't taken a trip yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Tim View Post
      Haven't taken a trip yet.
      If you can avoid it, or postpone it, I would!

Comment

Travelled internationally in February. It was our first airplane travel since Feb 2020 and the first international trip since 2012. It went with no problems.

That said, it seems like travel has gotten really bad since February from what I hear. We're travelling as a family to Florida in October. I'm dreading it. Been tracking flights for well over a month. October isn't a high season month for Florida. Good deals are usually $200-$250 but for over a month now flight prices have been $550-$750. Found a "deal" yesterday and just bought for $325 but I must run away in shame because it's with Spirit Airlines and I am so not looking forward to that. Chance of the flight being delayed or perhaps cancelled is probably pretty high. Who knows where we'll be in October.

Comment

Traveling to Norway in two weeks, fingers crossed it goes smoothly! 😬

Comment

Originally posted by Tangler View Post

If you can avoid it, or postpone it, I would!
            Yeah, first up is a car trip thought Eagle Pass/Piedras Negras. Might have seen it on TV, no immigration enforcement. Kind of like driving into the wild west without protection.

Comment

I have a road trip planned for late July, and am planning to fly to visit my father over Labor Day (and am not looking forward to the flights!). Fingers crossed that by late October, when I am scheduled to go to Hawaii, and January 2023, when I will take my first international trip since the start of the pandemic, air travel will be less chaotic.

Comment

1. Travel is not reliable right now.
                2. Plan for your luggage to not arrive with you. Pack a change of clothes and toiletries in your carry-on.
                3. Keep your sense of humor.

Comment

Did a 2-week, 4-city Italy trip in last 3 months and had no real issues. No lost luggage. No flight delays. Reschedules by ~1hr or so weeks in advance but no missed/delayed connections.

Know your departure airport, plan ahead, and remember the world doesn't revolve around you. There is a reason you picked that day/time/season to travel so it shouldn't be a surprise when others are doing similar things.

Comment

It was a lot better while the pandemic was in full swing. We went to New Orleans, Greece, Roatan, Costa Rica etc. Now it's really expensive, they keep losing luggage, they're cancelling flights, and even sick people don't wear masks. We've got some plans this Fall and Winter but we're staying around here until then.
                    Helping those who wear the white coat get a fair shake on Wall Street since 2011

Comment

I've traveled with a toddler 3 times this year...

Comment

We've done a few trips this year and besides flights being more expensive it's been fine so far. We have a ton of miles and companion tickets so even that has been ok. We get crazy cheap car rentals ( we don't have to talk to anyone either, just go out and grab car and drive away) thanks to my husband's work and he has status on delta so that helps. He's flying home today and got upgraded to first class. So I'd say travel is better for us than in the past but I know that isn't the norm.

Comment

Worse than ever? I dunno, I guess the people who had to take a boat for several months to get across the Atlantic 250 years ago would still trade places with us. It could always be worse.

Comment

Originally posted by Lithium View Post
                            Worse than ever? I dunno, I guess the people who had to take a boat for several months to get across the Atlantic 250 years ago would still trade places with us. It could always be worse.
                            True, but I don't think they were doing that to go on vacation.

Comment

$1,650 per person on an 11 night Baltic cruise on a very nice cruise line. Airfare there and back is more expensive than a year ago, but the dollar is worth less due to inflation.

After that, a few days in London and then a week cruising the Dalmatian coast in Croatia. Carry on, maybe one checked bag. (Pay for laundry service two or three times.) Great flights on non-US carriers there and back. A red eye over there from home, a flight back to a very large international US airport with a two hour train trip back home. Maximum flexibility and roll with the punches if a flight, port, or event gets cancelled. I think we’ll do just fine.

Then again, my wife and I were supposed to go to Antarctica in January. Our cruise and several others got cancelled, so we pivoted to the Galapagos. Our follow on trip to Manchu Picchu got cancelled, so we went to the Amazon basin. We probably didn’t need parkas and long underwear in either of these destinations, but by goodness we had them packed!

Comment

Working...
                              X