Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I googled myself

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • I googled myself

    And at least two of the top 5 search results list my current cellphone number and my former home address. It’s unsettling to have this information so easily available. The websites do not seem reputable.

    Is your information out there?
    Is it possible to get it removed?

  • #2
    Yes, you typically have to contact the website to get that information removed. It’s because you’ve used your cell phone and home address for various licenses, etc. at some point in the past. It’s a hassle and shouldn’t happen but it’s also not too difficult for someone to get that information if they really wanted it.

    Comment


    • #3
      Yeah I gave my cellphone for my npi so now it's on the internet. I don't like it but have only ever gotten a couple calls because of it- mostly people looking for a doctor. The one pt who used it was told to never do so again and it wasn't a problem. I don't think my home address is online . . .

      Comment


      • #4
        So when do i need to start being careful about this? As soon as I get a DEA number or any legit licensing?

        Comment


        • #5
          FYI:
          Info is not just from licenses. Your parents or siblings data is linked to you.
          FREE.
          Fastpeoplesearch.com
          You will find yourself and relatives, past addresses and phone numbers. Tons of errors, but tons of accurate info. Combine that with property records and its not hard.
          Google is inefficient. Better free tools available. Someone can find your wife, kids, parents, siblings. If they know your name, they can find you. I personally don't think you can erase all your records. Virtually any doctor with a name and city is discoverable. See if your addresses, phone numbers , emails and relatives show up.

          Comment


          • #6
            My wife worries about this some. I have friends who also worry.

            I figure, anyone, especially someone who wants to find you to perhaps put a hit on you or something, is going to have zero trouble finding you.

            There are so many other things in life more relevant to worry about. This one is not something that bothers me at all.

            The good of instant mostly accurate google searches means you can Youtube anything.

            I could find a youtube video on installation of a new dishwasher in my kitchen as well as how to replace sinks & toilets.

            The bad news is your info is out there.

            If they want you, they can find you. Screw it. World we live in.

            Comment


            • #7
              I found that while it was annoying, at least the websites were pretty responsive on removing personal information once you emailed them.

              Comment


              • #8
                Recently found out that my state licensing board has a requirement to publish publicly information on anyone with a medical license. The vast majority of people I saw had put on their cell phones and home addresses on the website which were then immediately included. I emailed the lawyer overseeing this and was like “how about at least notifying the docs that any information used for contact info will be published publicly”. No response.

                Comment


                • #9
                  And I’ve googled myself as well. Sort of happy there’s another doc with my same name but the best news was seeing the top hits come back with a famous Australian rock artist. Rock on, mate.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by CordMcNally View Post
                    I found that while it was annoying, at least the websites were pretty responsive on removing personal information once you emailed them.
                    I sent one of them an email. Before that they request you change you NPI, so I submitted changes to them too.

                    https://nppes.cms.hhs.gov/#/

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Turf Doc View Post
                      So when do i need to start being careful about this? As soon as I get a DEA number or any legit licensing?
                      Yes. All these applications were things a filled out to begin intern year. Beware of the information you include on those applications, particularly the NPI. I think that is the one they use mainly to publish information about docs.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by pierre View Post

                        Yes. All these applications were things a filled out to begin intern year. Beware of the information you include on those applications, particularly the NPI. I think that is the one they use mainly to publish information about docs.
                        To monetize information also. Sad medical associations/etc have sold out to insurance companies and such

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by wideopenspaces View Post
                          Yeah I gave my cellphone for my npi so now it's on the internet. I don't like it but have only ever gotten a couple calls because of it- mostly people looking for a doctor. The one pt who used it was told to never do so again and it wasn't a problem. I don't think my home address is online . . .
                          My home address is on the county tax appraisal district's website.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by ENT Doc View Post
                            And I’ve googled myself as well. Sort of happy there’s another doc with my same name but the best news was seeing the top hits come back with a famous Australian rock artist. Rock on, mate.
                            Dr. Angus Young?

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by toofy View Post

                              Dr. Angus Young?
                              Dr. Yahoo Serious

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X