Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pushy sales pitch. How do you deal with it? I did not do a great job.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tangler View Post

Yeah, it was a little weird. I would bet he was “incentivized” in some way, otherwise why would he care?
    I'll tell you why. Sales training isn't just about how to say something to get someone to buy something. There's a "rah rah rah" attitude that subtly also builds loyalty in the employee to the company. The employee eventually really does believe they are helping you. It's genuine from their side. They just don't realize they've been taken

Comment

Actually, we have reached a point where any "Pushy sales pitch" will result in a loss of our business. This includes anything from car repairs to even Macys insurance grocery stores or restaurants.

Comment

I do not open the door for strangers who show unannounced. I ask through the locked door who they are and what they want. If they tell me they are selling something, start asking questions instead or answering mine, doing a survey, or claim they are working in the neighborhood, they get a polite no thanks. No further discussion. If they don't leave I tell them they are treapassing

Comment

I’m not great at things like this either…

Where I live it is a constant barrage. If you get out of your car to go to the store or get gas, you are accosted by either a homeless person, or a con-artist with a fake sob story. As you enter the store, there’s another one at the entrance.

Then the store itself hits you up for something when you walk in, and when you check out. When you get an oil change, some creep from the dealership sits right next to you and starts up a sales pitch.

At home, multiple people stop by daily, ringing the doorbell with clipboards. Half are legit crappy businesses but annoying, the other half are clearly drug addicts that are there to check out security features of the home to see if it’s an easy target. They are usually interested in the windows, and camera locations, and spots of cover when I watch them on the security.

Mostly, with the ones that come come up to the house, I just ignore. But if I’m standing nearby, I’ll open the door and when their mouth-hole opens and a sound comes out, I slam it in their face. If I’m working outside and they come up to me, which is fairly often, I just wave them away. If it takes more than that to get them out of my yard, they quickly regret the interaction. I try to give the impression that this is the “wrong house”.

Around here there is a lot of, what I call, “compliance testing”. They are just checking to see if you are weak, if you’ll acquiesce to social norms, and if you’ll defer somewhat to authority. Once they’ve established that, anything is possible. The polite tourists from out of town are easy prey. If you’re a noncompliant-type, it’s a waste of time. They just move on, as the success rate is exceedingly low, and the chance of pain is exceedingly high.

For the very rare genuine person, I’ll be nice. But I can spot a scam from a mile away, and I’ve had lots of practice. They get both barrels if I have to speak twice.

Comment

Originally posted by Jaqen Haghar MD View Post

Where I live it is a constant barrage…
            That’s enough to make me move far away from wherever you live.

Comment

Where I live it is a constant barrage. If you get out of your car to go to the store or get gas, you are accosted by either a homeless person, or a con-artist with a fake sob story. As you enter the store, there’s another one at the entrance.

Then the store itself hits you up for something when you walk in, and when you check out. When you get an oil change, some creep from the dealership sits right next to you and starts up a sales pitch.

At home, multiple people stop by daily, ringing the doorbell with clipboards. Half are legit crappy businesses but annoying, the other half are clearly drug addicts that are there to check out security features of the home to see if it’s an easy target. They are usually interested in the windows, and camera locations, and spots of cover when I watch them on the security.

Mostly, with the ones that come come up to the house, I just ignore. But if I’m standing nearby, I’ll open the door and when their mouth-hole opens and a sound comes out, I slam it in their face. If I’m working outside and they come up to me, which is fairly often, I just wave them away. If it takes more than that to get them out of my yard, they quickly regret the interaction. I try to give the impression that this is the “wrong house”.

Around here there is a lot of, what I call, “compliance testing”. They are just checking to see if you are weak, if you’ll acquiesce to social norms, and if you’ll defer somewhat to authority. Once they’ve established that, anything is possible. The polite tourists from out of town are easy prey. If you’re a noncompliant-type, it’s a waste of time. They just move on, as the success rate is exceedingly low, and the chance of pain is exceedingly high.

For the very rare genuine person, I’ll be nice. But I can spot a scam from a mile away, and I’ve had lots of practice. They get both barrels if I have to speak twice.

Holy cow, why do you stay there? This would drive me crazy!

Comment

This has to be NYC or close.

Except for the yard?

Comment

Originally posted by Lordosis View Post

This has to be NYC or close.

Except for the yard?
                  Close, but no cigar. Think "Cuban cigars".

Comment

I usually just walk around with airpods on, but no music , usually works. If they still persist I I act like I cant hear them.

I have gone Sams club almost once a week for the last 20 years, if I wanted the new improved membership I would have bought one

Comment

Originally posted by Lordosis View Post
                      I have zero patience for somebody coming door to door. Unless it's a kid selling cookies they're going to get an earful from me and never come back.

A pest control company once came by and told me that our neighbor uses them and recommended us but I knew was a lie because they used the same company that we did. I called them out on it and told them if they did not get in their car and drive off my street I would follow them to whatever house they are going to and heckle them while they talked to my neighbors. They left.
                      Lol, i dont even open the door.

If Im feeling frisky i will look through the glass window and make sure they see me, then walk away.

Its a totally bs tactic that doesnt need to be engaged with, you didnt invite them or ask them to come, just cuz they showed up you owe them nothing. Preying upon normal interactions to get a foot in.

Comment

Originally posted by Tim View Post
                        Close, but no cigar. Think "Cuban cigars".
                        Lol. Yup. Florida. It can be a strange place. Extremely variable and diverse depending on where you are at.

Comment

Lol. Yup. Florida. It can be a strange place. Extremely variable and diverse depending on where you are at.
                          Must be ex New Yorkers

Comment

Nothing like being a kid in a golf cart tooling on down to the dock for sunset.
                            The kids carts are actually the grandparents. Tricked out to look like a Rolls, Mercedes or Vette.
                            Times are tough for the common folk.

https://www.oceanreef.com
                            https://youtu.be/XK5ArJOXEcA for sale
                            https://youtu.be/EkuthLx7zYw carts

$235k for membership , $11.5k dues and then you can find a property to try to buy.

I see what you’re doing.

Comment

Florida. The only state in the Union where the further North you drive, the further South it gets.

Comment

Originally posted by Tangler View Post

He says: "well If you have heard it multiple times, you must shop here a lot and you could really benefit from this discount"

I've got to tip my cap to him for that one.

Nevertheless, I'd also go with a few no thank yous followed by me ignoring him and doing something on my phone.

Comment

Working...
                                X