Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pushy sales pitch. How do you deal with it? I did not do a great job.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If I do have some need to interact, say with the clerk in a checkout line, I find just repeating "no", with no engagement does work. You may have to do it numerous times. Make it clear that you are neither listening nor responding to anything they say. If in person, pull out your phone and ignore them.

In other other circumstances this would be rude. But if they are pressuring you to buy something after you said no, then that level of courtesy has already been violated.

They are trying to get you to talk to give them something on which to base their pitch. Give them nothing. Do not explain why you said no. Do not respond to any questions.

On the phone back in the day when I would answer calls from unknown callers, I would just say "I am not interested" and hang up. Usually I could hear that they were still talking while the headset was headed for the phone. I found this kept them from calling back.

Comment

They are all bots now but this would be fun!

I used to give the phone to my little brother and have him tell them about video games and Pokemon.

Comment

Originally posted by Tim View Post
        MPMD
        Great for robo calls.
        I have considered “I need to circle back after I get clearance that my witness protection officer will cover it. Do you have a card? The FBI may need a background check .”
        Every sales pitch/promotion is designed to ignore “No” and keep on trying. Any legitimate response is a sign of opportunity.
        NWM brokers are the most mentioned here.

If worse come to worse, run.
        all kidding aside where i used to live i got some aggressive/odd door to door people.
        i think the prior owner was a soft touch who would give money away.
        about week 2 a guy showed up, probably early 30s, said that prior owner had helped him with money for his daughter's asthma meds, i did not get a good vibe.
        remembered a tip i had read on the internet and said "maybe the city can help out my upstairs neighbor is a police detective let's go grab him he probably has some ideas about programs."
        he skedaddled pretty quick and i didn't see him again.

probably the angriest i've been in the last 2 years was at a door to door mosquito service dude. showed up at about 4p and pestered my nanny. then came back at 830p when it was basically dark and my wife was home alone. i have him recorded on camera practically shouting at my wife that he needed to "talk to your husband." he lied about being our neighbor's pest guy, then insisted repeatedly that she tell him when i (apparently the man of the house) would be home. i called the company next day and went ballistic, said if he came back on my property i would consider him to be trespassing with intent to intimidate my family.

Comment

Originally posted by MPMD View Post

all kidding aside where i used to live i got some aggressive/odd door to door people.
          i think the prior owner was a soft touch who would give money away.
          about week 2 a guy showed up, probably early 30s, said that prior owner had helped him with money for his daughter's asthma meds, i did not get a good vibe.
          remembered a tip i had read on the internet and said "maybe the city can help out my upstairs neighbor is a police detective let's go grab him he probably has some ideas about programs."
          he skedaddled pretty quick and i didn't see him again.

probably the angriest i've been in the last 2 years was at a door to door mosquito service dude. showed up at about 4p and pestered my nanny. then came back at 830p when it was basically dark and my wife was home alone. i have him recorded on camera practically shouting at my wife that he needed to "talk to your husband." he lied about being our neighbor's pest guy, then insisted repeatedly that she tell him when i (apparently the man of the house) would be home. i called the company next day and went ballistic, said if he came back on my property i would consider him to be trespassing with intent to intimidate my family.
          its weird that no means no in every other aspect of life except sales.

Comment

Originally posted by pierre View Post

its weird that no means no in every other aspect of life except sales.
            Hmmm. Not sure that is 100% true. But then again, just about everything in life is selling something. You are probably right.

Comment

Originally posted by CordMcNally View Post

Or just do this.
              Seems extreme. But effective I suppose.

Comment

I handle these requests at stores for unwanted credit cards and memberships by saying my credit frozen. It is also true. Most of them do not really know what that means but it seems to shut them up.

Comment

Costco executive membership is a better value then regular membership for those that regularly shop at Costco. I have no idea why they employ people to scan their membership cards to see if they would be better of in the executive membership level vs the regular level, but if they do scan your card and find that you would benefit, I would go ahead and switch. Just got my rebate of close to $400 for my executive membership. I don't know why regular shoppers would choose to be regular members. It doesn't take much for the executive membership to become financially worthwhile.

Comment

Originally posted by nephron View Post
                    Costco executive membership is a better value then regular membership for those that regularly shop at Costco. I have no idea why they employ people to scan their membership cards to see if they would be better of in the executive membership level vs the regular level, but if they do scan your card and find that you would benefit, I would go ahead and switch. Just got my rebate of close to $400 for my executive membership. I don't know why regular shoppers would choose to be regular members. It doesn't take much for the executive membership to become financially worthwhile.
                    I did the math. I tried it once (for a year) and it did not pay for itself, so I switched to the basic card.

Perhaps you spend more at costo than I?

Glad it works for you.

Comment

This is one of the funniest talks I've heard on how a guy deals with email scammers. James Veitch is his name, its a TED talk. Pretty hilarious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MHDDSekvcE

Comment

I have zero patience for somebody coming door to door. Unless it's a kid selling cookies they're going to get an earful from me and never come back.

A pest control company once came by and told me that our neighbor uses them and recommended us but I knew was a lie because they used the same company that we did. I called them out on it and told them if they did not get in their car and drive off my street I would follow them to whatever house they are going to and heckle them while they talked to my neighbors. They left.

Comment

I say no thank you once. If they continue, I put my AirPods in my ears.

Comment

Originally posted by Tangler View Post

I did the math. I tried it once (for a year) and it did not pay for itself, so I switched to the basic card.

Perhaps you spend more at costo than I?

Glad it works for you.
                            https://clark.com/shopping-retail/co...ve-membership/
                            You have to spend $250 per month for the executive membership to be worth it. If you aren't spending $250 per month, you should look to switch more of your grocery purchases to costco. I haven't done a price comparison recently, but when I first signed up for costco many many years ago, I calculated that just making soda purchases at Costco vs the grocery store or Walmart would pay for the regular membership. Purchasing laundry/dishwashing detergent, toiletries, clothes, printer ink, everything in bulk, etc will probably get you there as well. A dollar saved is worth more then a dollar earned. I like how most of the kirkland products are not only cheaper, but of comparable or higher quality as well. I would look into the executive membership again if I were you.

Comment

Originally posted by nephron View Post
                              https://clark.com/shopping-retail/co...ve-membership/
                              You have to spend $250 per month for the executive membership to be worth it. If you aren't spending $250 per month, you should look to switch more of your grocery purchases to costco. I haven't done a price comparison recently, but when I first signed up for costco many many years ago, I calculated that just making soda purchases at Costco vs the grocery store or Walmart would pay for the regular membership. Purchasing laundry/dishwashing detergent, toiletries, clothes, printer ink, everything in bulk, etc will probably get you there as well. A dollar saved is worth more then a dollar earned. I like how most of the kirkland products are not only cheaper, but of comparable or higher quality as well. I would look into the executive membership again if I were you.
                              Do you work for Cosco or something? Were you in my checkout line? I think you might be the dude I upset? Sorry about being rude in the store. Next time I will try to be nicer. Have a good morning.

Comment

Originally posted by southerndoc View Post
                                I say no thank you once. If they continue, I put my AirPods in my ears.
                                I like this idea. I'm hard of hearing. I think what I'll start to do is make sure after an initial "no thank you" that they clearly see me take my hearing aids out

Comment

Working...
                                X