Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pushy sales pitch. How do you deal with it? I did not do a great job.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pushy sales pitch. How do you deal with it? I did not do a great job.

Well, I went to costco today. In the check out line there is a guy. I hear him give the person in front of my in like the "pitch"

She (like I) was a costco member but not an "elite member = gold member" or whatever they call the membership where you pay a fee every year to get some cash back on your purchase.

I had tried this in the past and found it was not really worth it for my family. We did not go often enough to make it worthwhile and It added a little complexity to my life.

So, he pushed this sales pitch to the lady in front of me in line. She says no, but he keeps going. I hear him say: "just today you could have saved $5".

Anyway, I get to the front of the line.

He gives the pitch. I say, no thank you. He keeps going. I say, I have looked at the numbers and it does not work for me.

I said, listen, I get the sales pitch every time I come in here and I have heard it multiple times, and you can just skip it with me.

He says: "well If you have heard it multiple times, you must shop here a lot and you could really benefit from this discount"

He keeps going. I finally say: Listen, the answer is no. I am really not interested and not going to do it. You must get some pretty good commission or something, or else you would just leave people alone when they say no the first time.

Now he is pissed. He say's "I don't get a commission. I am trying to help you.

Anyway..........I should have just been polite and said no thank you. I should have just repeated that 5 or six times like I usually do but I don't know what the right thing to do is.

I know it is silly but I honestly felt bad for pissing this guy off. It is so silly

Every time I fly now the flight attendants try to get me to buy a CC. They walk down the isles and discuss how great it is with a captive audience.

These things. CC pitch you get on a flight. Costco "gold" membership pitch........these things seem like they would sell themselves if they were such great deals.

I guess my point, other than my ranting, is this question: What is the best way to tell the pushy sales person no without being a jerk?

How do you handle it? Sorry for the rant.

Kill them with kindness.

"No thank you."

"No thank you"

"No thank you"

"No thank you"
    Helping those who wear the white coat get a fair shake on Wall Street since 2011

Comment

No thanks and then ignore.

Or yell, "This guy just touched my crotch!".

Comment

Originally posted by The White Coat Investor View Post
        Kill them...
        Or just do this.

Comment

Recently checkout guy at local chain wanted me to sign up for free membership. I told him I didn't need a membership for this store that I was buying a 20oz mountain dew from for a $50c discount and that I didn't want to give them my email and be in their database. He legit got pissy

Comment

I’ve heard stories from a family member who shops there as well. Costco’s salespeople are getting extremely pushy to the point of being insulting.

Comment

Don't feel too bad. One time I yelled at the Red Cross for calling me about blood donations too often. My wife still makes fun of me. But they woke me up when I was sleeping after an overnight shift and I was not in the mood.

Comment

If it's telemarketers I play piano for them. I saddens me that they don't wait till the end of the song before they hang up.

Comment

Our local Costco is pretty good, they are not pushy in general but our Costco membership price vs rewards is wash pretty much. Usually within ~$10+- range so it works for us. Definitely don't like sale pushes with auto/renew etc.

Comment

if he isn't getting a commission and he's pissed you're not buying what he is selling then it sounds like you encountered a very odd and/or aggressive person.

Comment

Originally posted by MPMD View Post
                      if he isn't getting a commission and he's pissed you're not buying what he is selling then it sounds like you encountered a very odd and/or aggressive person.
                      Yeah, it was a little weird. I would bet he was “incentivized” in some way, otherwise why would he care?

Comment

No thank you x 2 followed by “I said no.”

Comment

My spouse usually cringes and heads to the door.
                          I start with a no thank you followed by “What part of no did you not understand”.Then depends on my mood.
                          Something subtle, lean close to the dude.
                          “I have gas really bad. Better stand back.”
                          You can get in his face and angrily say “Leave me alone”.
                          Panhandle the dude, “Can you lend me $10 bucks?”
                          Sell him one shoe.
                          Rude, crude and crazy works wonders and actually ends well. You and the dude get a laugh or at least he leaves.

I try to treat others with the respect they deserve.
                          A polite offer is politely declined.

Comment

Originally posted by Tim View Post
                            My spouse usually cringes and heads to the door.
                            I start with a no thank you followed by “What part of no did you not understand”.Then depends on my mood.
                            Something subtle, lean close to the dude.
                            “I have gas really bad. Better stand back.”
                            You can get in his face and angrily say “Leave me alone”.
                            Panhandle the dude, “Can you lend me $10 bucks?”
                            Sell him one shoe.
                            Rude, crude and crazy works wonders and actually ends well.
                            You and the dude get a laugh or at least he leaves.

I try to treat others with the respect they deserve.
                            A polite offer is politely declined.
                            https://www.nytimes.com/2016/02/25/f...s-expense.html

this is my favorite article the Times has ever published

Often the robot just has a little fun. Using recorded lines spoken by Mr. Anderson, it may say the following to the telemarketer: “I just woke up from a nap, I took some medicine and I’m really groggy. Can you go a little slower?” Sometimes it interrupts the telemarketer to ask questions. “Do you drink coffee?” or “You sound like someone I went to high school with.”

The idea is to keep the telemarketer on the call for as long as possible. The longer the conversation goes on, the more eccentric the robot becomes. In one sequence, the robot tells the telemarketer that a bee landed on his arm, and asks the telemarketer to keep talking as he focuses on the bee.

Comment

MPMD
                              Great for robo calls.
                              I have considered “I need to circle back after I get clearance that my witness protection officer will cover it. Do you have a card? The FBI may need a background check .”
                              Every sales pitch/promotion is designed to ignore “No” and keep on trying. Any legitimate response is a sign of opportunity.
                              NWM brokers are the most mentioned here.

If worse come to worse, run.

Comment

Working...
                              X