Patient recorded me

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Patient recorded me

I had a husband and wife come in today. The wife had appointment, husband tagged along. I’ve seen them both separate about 3-5 times in last yr. as soon as I come in, husband says “just want you to know I’m recording you “. He then proceeds to tell me he’s upset that I refilled the wrong dose of his testosterone and that a prior auth on another med for toenail fungus has not been done. I did apologize for the testosterone mix up, and I explained that I never received the prior auth request for the fungus med. I said I am dependent on the pharmacy notifying me what meds need prior auth as I cannot keep track of every patients’ formulary. He said he just wanted me to address his wife’s concerns today.
    she had some new onset htn and I treated her appropriately.

just left me with a weird feeling. On one hand I have nothing to hide, on the other hand I don’t like the feeling that he’s audio recording me to perhaps “catch me” . Will he record me every visit from now on?
    what would you do?

What’s the law in your state on recording? Does your employer have a stance?

Why is he recording you? Is it because they want to be able to reflect back on your recommendations, etc.? Or is it something more nefarious?

Comment

Say no and walk out. Easy peasy.

Comment

Originally posted by Lordosis View Post
        Say no and walk out. Easy peasy.
        100%

Comment

I have been recorded few times , both after telling me and without it . I am ok with that .

Comment

Originally posted by uksho View Post
            I have been recorded few times , both after telling me and without it . I am ok with that .
            I have had people ask for reasonable reasons and allow it. But with a disgruntled patient as above screw that.

Comment

Originally posted by Lordosis View Post

I have had people ask for reasonable reasons and allow it. But with a disgruntled patient as above screw that.
              I agree with that . They can choose a different provider

Comment

“You have 6 months to find a new doctor; on an unrelated note, my schedule is full the next 6 months.”

Comment

This has come up several times in the hospital with family members in the room. I tell them I won’t agree to that. If they refuse to turn it off I walk out and tell the patient to let the nurse know when that family member is gone and I will come back to talk to them

if they want to record me to play it for a family me not there, I refuse and offer to call the family member directly to talk

Comment

Originally posted by CordMcNally View Post
                    What’s the law in your state on recording? Does your employer have a stance?

Why is he recording you? Is it because they want to be able to reflect back on your recommendations, etc.? Or is it something more nefarious?
                    Texas is one party consent state, they can record me without telling me.

really not sure what the purpose is.

Comment

Originally posted by Savedfpdoc View Post

this true within a private business and not a public space?

have a policy. Post it where visible.

Comment

Originally posted by Savedfpdoc View Post

I don't think that's entirely correct. Georgia is also a one-party state. That means that you can record without the other person's permission (i.e., you don't have to notify them), but I don't think you can record if the person objects.

Recording you is only going to be used against you. If a patient sues, they're not going to say "oh let me turn this evidence over that helps the doc." More than likely if it helps you, they'll "forget they had it" during discovery.

Comment

I would also say no. But I work in a healthcare system that explicitly forbids this

Comment

I had a patient do this to me last year. And unfortunately I didn't respond as Lordosis recommended b/c I was so flustered. It was a very upsetting experience (the patient was deranged from the gitgo - saying I need to record you incase I need to sue you in the future). Immediately afterwards I complained to 'management' and said fire this patient from the Eye Department. They had no idea my state was a 2 party consent state and failed to inform me of it when I asked for future guidance.

That encounter was the nail in the coffin of working for 'big healthcare corp'. My negotiations were done with new private practice job where I enter as a partner/owner. Submitted my resignation the next week, happily, knowing I'd be my own boss and could call the shots while bringing in more cash. Yes please.

Being recorded was a terrible experience, my adrenaline was pumping. I'm not a confrontational person and very easy going even as a doc so these patients are the hardest for me. Lesson learned- I'll say no and leave the room in the future. Ugh sorry this happened to you.
                            Last edited by eyecandy; 05-13-2022, 09:21 AM.

Comment

ER patients attempt to do this secretly all the time. In an office setting, I’d permanently terminate the relationship officially, and as promptly as possible.

Comment

Working...
                              X