Patient recorded me

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by VagabondMD View Post

Of course, it's not exactly true, but the mindset that just about everything you say about the patient is in medical record, including grammar and syntax errors and other malapropisms and gaffes, perhaps gives you the mindset that just about everything you say ends up being on-record.
    I know when I dictate notes there is an opportunity to correct these before the report is finalized. I suppose I might miss them sometimes, but I do catch a lot.

Is that not the case for you?

Comment

Hoist anchor, shove off.

Comment

Originally posted by medicoFIRE View Post
        The problem I see with this is that you’d be naïve to think that patients wouldn’t pull short audio clips out of context while conveniently losing the context portions of the audio. Perhaps a fringe case, but imagine a malicious patient purposefully provoking and antagonizing you then posting your response on youtube in edited form and reframing it how they want to. Even reasonable physicians could be made to look deranged and unhinged with the right provocative maneuvers by the patient. In the OP case, the best bet is to be overly nice in such an encounter and then subsequently ban that patient from your practice a few weeks after the encounter. Otherwise you could keep them on and reward their behavior. If enough patients think it is ok then it becomes the norm. If it does become the norm, then physicians will have to also record every encounter in a hipaa compliant manner just to protect themselves.
        Agreed. I was planning on leaving it alone but didn’t think about him being able to edit the recording…probably would be easier just to dismiss him if he continues to want to record rather than get corporate to give me a voice recorder that stays in the office as recording on my phone would not be hipaa compliant…hmmm

Comment

That is a little creepy. Like someone else mentioned, you should look into your state laws & employer regulations. You might not have to consent to it and it seems petty for them to do so over a minor mix up.

Comment

I would not have a problem but I tend to speak as if I am being recorded anyway.

It would be a great idea to record all patient interactions. I have not heard of places doing that. I recall seeing something about a place that video recorded the consent process. It was supposed to reduce claims that risks were omitted when the discussion took place.

At times we get complaints from patients about what docs said during an encounter. Having a recording would help resolve the situations.

Comment

Originally posted by afan View Post
              It would be a great idea to record all patient interactions.
              Nope.

Comment

I keep everything in the open. When I see them recording, I say the following: "Here in Texas, this is a one party rule where you don't have to ask my permission to record. But I do ask that you provide me a copy of your recording today if you want to proceed with treatment". I always speak as if I am being recorded. This allows me to have an unaltered version.

Comment

Working...
                X