Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stand all day or sit all day, which one is better?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stand all day or sit all day, which one is better?

Something in between is preferable, let's make this poll simple though. At the extremes, in your doctorly opinion, which is better for you?
    Stand all day.
    89.47%
    Sit all day.
    10.53%

Ugh, both sound pretty miserable. Would have to go with sitting if I had to choose one only, mainly because my back will spasm up if I stand for long periods of time without moving. Getting old sucks.

Comment

Let me clarify, when I say stand all day, you can walk, squat, stretch, or anything that entails being on your feet.

Comment

Better in what way?

Comment

Originally posted by CordMcNally View Post
          Better in what way?
          Any and all metrics you want to use to determine its efficacy or inefficacy.

Comment

Originally posted by burritos View Post

Any and all metrics you want to use to determine its efficacy or inefficacy.
            Then I guess it depends what I'm doing.

Comment

I don't think the evidence on standing versus sitting shows any particular benefits. I do believe there may be a benefit to moving if you're standing.

Comment

Hard to imagine standing (walking, moving, etc.) not better from a health standpoint than sitting for much or most of the day.

Comment

Don't run when you can walk. Don't stand when you can sit. Don't sit when you can lie down. Don't be awake when you can go to sleep.

That's what I learned in the military. I'd rather sit all day. My butt doesn't hurt, but my feet sure do if I stand all day.
                  Helping those who wear the white coat get a fair shake on Wall Street since 2011

Comment

I know sitting is not good for your cardiovascular health, but I recall reading somewhere that standing all day wasn't good for your joints. I don't think that our bodies were built to be standing upright for prolonged periods of time, I think that we are the only mammals that even attempt to do so.

Comment

Originally posted by nephron View Post
                      I know sitting is not good for your cardiovascular health, but I recall reading somewhere that standing all day wasn't good for your joints. I don't think that our bodies were built to be standing upright for prolonged periods of time, I think that we are the only mammals that even attempt to do so.
                      I think when not standing we're supposed to asian squat. But that got co-opted by the chair. Kind of like forefoot running got co-opted by the shoe and heel strike running.

Comment

I stand all day at my desk to relieve neck pain (from craning up and down to see the computer screen, I guess), but I have plenty of seated meetings to ease the strain.

Comment

Certainly the radiologists here should be experts.

I sit half the day, stand half the day. I have very expensive chairs at home and at work that are better for ergonomics, and standing mats that have contour to help promote movement.

Comment

“Sitting is more dangerous than smoking, kills more people than HIV and is more treacherous than parachuting. We are sitting ourselves to death”
                            https://www.huffpost.com/entry/sitti...okin_b_5890006

Comment

I can't sit for too long, I get restless. I get up and walk around the block or go for a run between appointments. One of the best things about working from home.

Comment

Working...
                              X