Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are the odds you will be healthy, vigorous, and sharp til age 75?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by burritos View Post

Without and physicial exam or bloodwork biometrics, based on this 70 year olds ability to do 400 consecutive full ab rollers, do you think he has the same mortality/morbidity risk as your typical 70 year old western male who's LDL is is at 100 controlled by a statin and A1C at 5.4% controlled with metformin? I've got 18 more years to go and I'm up to 15. Don't think I'll catch him, but hopefully my 55 y/o self will be able to crush my 52 y/o self.
    I showed this to my 96 year old MIL. She smiled.
    Now what? Might be due to OCD. Dementia is a terrible thing. Nothing to do but roll on the floor?
    You will beat him, no doubt. I won’t.
    Still would like for you and I to get crushed 2 on 1 with Larry Bird. Now that would be cool. I got stuffed 20 times by Larry Bird and he trash talked.
    ”You got nothing and you can’t stop me.”
    100% correct. I once scored on Jerry Lucas. My basketball highlight. In my driveway in grade school and he was a pro! Yep, he let us all beat him “driving to the hoop”.
    Shaq and Charles are no goes.
    I am familiar with the “stature” disadvantage.
    PM me when you get Bird setup. I’ll set the screens for you. Hard screens, bloodied but undaunted. Or keep doing the AB rolls.

Comment

Originally posted by Tim View Post

I showed this to my 96 year old MIL. She smiled.
      Now what? Might be due to OCD. Dementia is a terrible thing. Nothing to do but roll on the floor?
      You will beat him, no doubt. I won’t.
      Still would like for you and I to get crushed 2 on 1 with Larry Bird. Now that would be cool. I got stuffed 20 times by Larry Bird and he trash talked.
      ”You got nothing and you can’t stop me.”
      100% correct. I once scored on Jerry Lucas. My basketball highlight. In my driveway in grade school and he was a pro! Yep, he let us all beat him “driving to the hoop”.
      Shaq and Charles are no goes.
      I am familiar with the “stature” disadvantage.
      PM me when you get Bird setup. I’ll set the screens for you. Hard screens, bloodied but undaunted. Or keep doing the AB rolls.
      Thank you for the encouragement. If I keep it up and improve 1.5 per month maybe I can. Didn't actually digest this till your remark. I also realized it's really a boring and uninteresting movement.
      Re: Bird, you sure know how to trigger me. When I used to follow bball in the 80's, hated the celtics. Bird, McHale, Microwave, D.J. Ainge. Hated them all.
      Click image for larger version  Name:	tumblr_oqon75xPvW1sdydefo1_400.gifv.gif Views:	1 Size:	2.66 MB ID:	333924When McHale clotheslined superman kurt rambis I lost my mind and really wanted to cap a m'fer.
      Though as I have aged I've mellowed out and would love to play against bird. Though the last time I played BBall was in residency in 1999 and at my best, my layup make rate unguarded was maybe 50%. So a layup for me is not a real layup.

Comment

When McHale clotheslined superman kurt rambis I lost my mind and really wanted to cap a m'fer.
        I bet they didn't even call that a foul in the 80s.

Comment

“Though as I have aged I've mellowed out and would love to play against bird. Though the last time I played BBall was in residency in 1999 and at my best, my layup make rate unguarded was maybe 50%. So a layup for me is not a real layup.”

I might be able to get Hakeem to coach us. We really need some “big man moves”. Won’t help. That would top about anything, not a meet and greet. That smirk, “Who is going for 2nd place”.
          We have no chance in a 3 point contest either. I would call it victory if Bird even laid down to stretch his back.

Comment

“Though as I have aged I've mellowed out and would love to play against bird. Though the last time I played BBall was in residency in 1999 and at my best, my layup make rate unguarded was maybe 50%. So a layup for me is not a real layup.”

I might be able to get Hakeem to coach us. We really need some “big man moves”. Won’t help. That would top about anything, not a meet and greet. That smirk, “Who is going for 2nd place”.
            We have no chance in a 3 point contest either. I would call it victory if Bird even laid down to stretch his back.
            Am a big fan of Hakeem. Ralph Sampson meh. Twin towers? BS. No Hakeem was the man. The guy was a freaking baller. Now I know you're just baiting me now. Cause this pogchamp Ramadan-dry-fasted his way to 2 NBA titles:

https://fadeawayworld.net/nba-media/...dawn-to-sunset

The month of Ramadan is over, but I'm still dryfasting regularly. My MTB PR's? Dryfasted. And no, I did not get azotemia.

Comment

Optimize for longevity. Don't wait to live life. Moderation in all things.

When you have enough money, don't you dare sacrifice health to get more.
              Helping those who wear the white coat get a fair shake on Wall Street since 2011

Comment

Am a big fan of Hakeem. Ralph Sampson meh. Twin towers? BS. No Hakeem was the man. The guy was a freaking baller. Now I know you're just baiting me now. Cause this pogchamp Ramadan-dry-fasted his way to 2 NBA titles:

https://fadeawayworld.net/nba-media/...dawn-to-sunset

The month of Ramadan is over, but I'm still dryfasting regularly. My MTB PR's? Dryfasted. And no, I did not get azotemia.
                Hakeem is still around. From Phi Slamma Jama to HOF the demeanor was so refreshing, more like a quiet confidence. Had no need to “claim the lane” with hard fouls. He’d just take the ball and say thank you. During our training sessions, I’d ask he reject any attempts gently back to us. He would smile and never goal tend. Are we good? You get Bird, I’ll get Hakeem. If you want, his two boys will fill in if you have a ringer. We will still lose unless we draft Hakeem. His kids will probably kill us too.
                Can’t win for losing. Age is a losing battle.
                Keep up the good fight. No one is undefeated.

Comment

Originally posted by The White Coat Investor View Post
                  Optimize for longevity. Don't wait to live life. Moderation in all things.

When you have enough money, don't you dare sacrifice health to get more.
                  Longevity for longevity sake is arguable. Preferably it ought to be accompanied with mental/emotional well being and functionality. Would you rather drop dead at 80 participating in the octogenarian olympics or make it to 100 wheel chair bound the last 20 years of your life and being unable to hand grandchildren the 20 years prior to that?

Comment

Keep up the good fight. No one is undefeated.
                    But everyone is a winner at the same time. Play on.
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	download.png
Views:	130
Size:	12.6 KB
ID:	333942

Comment

longevity for longevity sake is arguable. Preferably it ought to be accompanied with mental/emotional well being and functionality. Would you rather drop dead at 80 participating in the octogenarian olympics or make it to 100 wheel chair bound the last 20 years of your life and being unable to hand grandchildren the 20 years prior to that?
                      Quality of life > length of stay

Comment

Originally posted by bovie View Post

Quality of life > length of stay
                        Squaring the curve.

Views:	128
Size:	6.6 KB
ID:	333951
                        I agree, but obviously I'd prefer to be squared off later rather than earlier.

Comment

Squaring the curve.

Views:	128
Size:	6.6 KB
ID:	333951
                          I agree, but obviously I'd prefer to be squared off later rather than earlier.
                          Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle.
                          Lincoln

Comment

Longevity for longevity sake is arguable. Preferably it ought to be accompanied with mental/emotional well being and functionality. Would you rather drop dead at 80 participating in the octogenarian olympics or make it to 100 wheel chair bound the last 20 years of your life and being unable to hand grandchildren the 20 years prior to that?
                            You're right of course.
                            Helping those who wear the white coat get a fair shake on Wall Street since 2011

Comment

We got off topic by discussing all the things we can do to improve our odds. Yes we should do those things. But there is a significant element of chance which was really the point of my question. Like Lake Wobegon we believe we're all above average . But guaranteed some on this board, even some apparently healthy folks doing all the right things, are going to get unlucky. How do you account for this in your planning? Put money aside, what about how you allot your time on short (day to day) or long (decade to decade) time scales?

If I live to a healthy 90 I have way more to give in my late 40s. But if I develop Parkinson's at age 60 I should have retired already.

Since there's no way to know for sure, how do you plan?

Part time work seems like a good answer but some fields don't suit that well. I like what WCI said though: once you have enough money, don't you dare trade your health for more of it.

Comment

Originally posted by FIREshrink View Post
                                We got off topic by discussing all the things we can do to improve our odds. Yes we should do those things. But there is a significant element of chance which was really the point of my question. Like Lake Wobegon we believe we're all above average . But guaranteed some on this board, even some apparently healthy folks doing all the right things, are going to get unlucky. How do you account for this in your planning? Put money aside, what about how you allot your time on short (day to day) or long (decade to decade) time scales?

If I live to a healthy 90 I have way more to give in my late 40s. But if I develop Parkinson's at age 60 I should have retired already.

Since there's no way to know for sure, how do you plan?

Part time work seems like a good answer but some fields don't suit that well. I like what WCI said though: once you have enough money, don't you dare trade your health for more of it.
                                You're not going to get Parkinson's in you 60's. You exercise a lot in activities that don't involve a lot of head trauma.

Comment

Working...
                                X