X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CordMcNally
    replied
    Originally posted by cards67 View Post
    But does anyone wish they did the CRNA route?
    Probably not at this point since most of the people here are attendings and most make more than most CRNAs.

Leave a comment:

• cards67
    replied
    Originally posted by CordMcNally View Post

Nobody knows the ins and outs of all specialties but you could take some MGMA data and at least give some averages. Never underestimate how clueless many med students are with regards to incomes and medicine.
    Yeah I agree, I was talking more about knowing about other specialties lifestyles. So variable b/w jobs. But even pay should come with the caveat regarding location within the country.

But does anyone wish they did the CRNA route?

Leave a comment:

• CordMcNally
    replied
    Originally posted by cards67 View Post
    Meh, whatevers. I also know people a lot smarter than me making way less than I am. But I find it suspect that one person knows the ins and outs of all specialties.
    Nobody knows the ins and outs of all specialties but you could take some MGMA data and at least give some averages. Never underestimate how clueless many med students are with regards to incomes and medicine.

Leave a comment:

• cards67
    replied
    Meh, whatevers. I also know people a lot smarter than me making way less than I am. But I find it suspect that one person knows the ins and outs of all specialties.

Leave a comment:

• GasFIRE
    replied
    Originally posted by Savedfpdoc View Post
    This was surprising to see. Good for them.
    Sounds about right. I live in a MCOL metro area and know 2 surgeons and 2 former partners who between the 4 of them had 6 kids become CRNAs. Much shorter path to a well compensated career with less delayed gratification. All the MDs earn more but all of them deliberately suggested this route over medical school.

Leave a comment:

• Turf Doc
    replied
    Originally posted by Tim View Post

This! Someone needs to distribute a required spreadsheet to all med students at the end of 2nd or beginning of 3rd year.
    Specialty: Lookup table for MGMA median 1st year comp (50%) xxxxxxx
    Federal Income Tax: MFJ or Single Look up in table estimated tax (xxxxxx)
    FICA and Medicare Calculate (xxxxx)
    Retirement Savings (20% of gross) (xxxxxx)
    Rough estimate take home TTTTTT
    This is all you will have to pay your students loans, housing, transportation and food if you can afford it.

More light than darkness. Worth an hours discussion BEFORE they set a path. The taxes and retirement can be a surprise. Just an illustration to open their minds.
    Would also be helpful for premeds to understand opportunity cost. You could show them how a career that comes with high debt and backlogged high pay is like the least efficient way to make money when you consider opportunity cost and taxes. I've seen some analyses on teacher vs. doctor or whatever but those usually jump the shark...

Leave a comment:

• Tim
    replied
    Originally posted by Turf Doc View Post
    It's actually crazy to see how quick the money goes if you do some basic math after accounting for loan payback, retirement savings, progressive taxes, and recent increases in COL especially housing.
    This! Someone needs to distribute a required spreadsheet to all med students at the end of 2nd or beginning of 3rd year.
    Specialty: Lookup table for MGMA median 1st year comp (50%) xxxxxxx
    Federal Income Tax: MFJ or Single Look up in table estimated tax (xxxxxx)
    FICA and Medicare Calculate (xxxxx)
    Retirement Savings (20% of gross) (xxxxxx)
    Rough estimate take home TTTTTT
    This is all you will have to pay your students loans, housing, transportation and food if you can afford it.

More light than darkness. Worth an hours discussion BEFORE they set a path. The taxes and retirement can be a surprise. Just an illustration to open their minds.

Leave a comment:

• Turf Doc
    replied
    Originally posted by The White Coat Investor View Post

I've been amazed to learn how many doctors matched into a specialty without any idea about its income potential. Far better to go in with your eyes wide open IMHO.
    I think it takes a long time for people to realize that things aren't like they used to be. Everyone thinks doctors are rich, and back in the day you probably didn't have to worry about what type of physician you were going to be and the debt you were going to take on if you wanted an upper middle class life. It's actually crazy to see how quick the money goes if you do some basic math after accounting for loan payback, retirement savings, progressive taxes, and recent increases in COL especially housing.

Leave a comment:

• The White Coat Investor
    replied
    Originally posted by Savedfpdoc View Post
    This was surprising to see. Good for them.

as an aside I had an anesthesia attending in medschool sit with all the 4th yrs on rotation with him . Hed go around and ask everyone which specialty they were applying for. After they’d answer he’d tell them what their projected income would be and what the lifestyle would be like …some of the students in the room were unpleasantly surprised! He was the first attending to mention money to us not that money is everything of course.
    I've been amazed to learn how many doctors matched into a specialty without any idea about its income potential. Far better to go in with your eyes wide open IMHO.

Leave a comment:

• abds
    replied
    A CRNA I work with regularly showed me an email from a recruiter last week for a somewhat rural area. $350k a year. 2 weeks on (weekdays only), one week totally off. One day of call a week during the 2 weeks on. 1 weekend every 2 months.

Leave a comment:

• StarTrekDoc
    replied
    Originally posted by VentAlarm View Post

Uhhh……I’m going to stop you right there. I know you’ve been here too long to be a troll, but what you’re saying is simply absurd. I don’t know if you’ve spent too much time with the rich and famous to realize that most doctors live fairly luxurious lifestyles. I think your definition of luxury and poor are likely skewed.
    Lol, darn computer - corrected. Thanks for pointing out!

Leave a comment:

• CordMcNally
    replied
    Thinking about going back and getting your BSN then going to CRNA school?

On a serious note, there are always going to be people with less training, education, and subjective ‘smarts’ that will make way more money than you. That’s the way the world turns and it’s true for everyone.

Leave a comment:

• Turf Doc
    replied
    Originally posted by VentAlarm View Post

Uhhh……I’m going to stop you right there. I know you’ve been here too long to be a troll, but what you’re saying is simply absurd. I don’t know if you’ve spent too much time with the rich and famous to realize that most doctors live fairly luxurious lifestyles. I think your definition of luxury and poor are likely skewed.
    I think he's referring to lifestyle like work-life balance, not from a money perspective

Leave a comment:

• VentAlarm
    replied
    Originally posted by StarTrekDoc View Post
    Money makes things happen and allows luxeries.

Most docs regardless of debt and chosen work will live a poor lifestyle. They may not retire early or keep working because of poor choices, but very few will be destitute.

that is one reason why it's not really a hot topic priority at any level...medschool or residency.

It is one area where the student body organization and union would very much so be a good advocate and resource to provide to their body to treat as a whole person, not just education or job.

Leave a comment:

• StarTrekDoc
    replied
    Money makes things happen and allows luxeries.

Most docs regardless of debt and chosen work will live a poor work life style but be financially secure (corrected) . They may not retire early or keep working because of poor choices, but very few will be destitute.

that is one reason why it's not really a hot topic priority at any level...medschool or residency.

It is one area where the student body organization and union would very much so be a good advocate and resource to provide to their body to treat as a whole person, not just education or job.

Edit - darn typos and autocorrect -

Last edited by StarTrekDoc; 05-05-2022, 10:12 AM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X