Tipping fatigue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CordMcNally View Post

I'm assuming that you understand that the servers don't actually make $2.13/hr, right? Some people hear that and think that's what they're paid. Servers are supposed to report their tips (which we know cash tips almost NEVER get reported) and if they don't make their legal minimum wage then the restaurant fills in the difference. The restaurants would like for the consumer to take on some of the responsibility of paying the servers but doing away with tipping and just increasing prices would likely accomplish the same thing but I think the service in the high end restaurants would suffer under this model.
    fair point but if they don't make legal min wage you are saying the restaurant has to true them up to... $7.25? which is also starvation wage?

fwiw the state where i live actually has no minimum wage and is just governed by the fed minimum.

i do try to tip cash though, what do i care if the server doesn't report it?

Comment

Originally posted by MPMD View Post

fair point but if they don't make legal min wage you are saying the restaurant has to true them up to... $7.25? which is also starvation wage?

fwiw the state where i live actually has no minimum wage and is just governed by the fed minimum.

i do try to tip cash though, what do i care if the server doesn't report it?
      Either way they get a legal minimum wage which isn’t what you were implying. Calling it a starvation wage is another debate but I think we’re seeing places either having to pay more or go out of business (many times they pay more then still go out of business). I can walk a mile down the road and probably hit 5 places with a football (with a below average arm) that are starting at $15/hr. Regardless, the number of workers making a true legal minimum wage is very low.

Your state does have a minimum wage but they choose to make it the same as the federal minimum wage.
      Last edited by CordMcNally; 05-01-2022, 11:19 AM.

Comment

If you want to learn about history of tipping in this country after Civil War there is a podcast on this on Throughline https://www.npr.org/2022/03/29/10895...f-the-fee-2021, as well as article https://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt...ly-un-american.

Very informative. Can you believe 100+yrs ago tipping was something we hated in this country. and there was efforts against it. It was seen as hated custom from old europe.

Comment

I was tipping for carry-out during COVID but have mostly stopped. Maybe a couple of bucks here and there at places I frequent.

I do tip well at sit down restaurants. If you give good service and are nice to my children, you're getting 30%. Granted we mostly go to places in our neighborhood - I have a vested interest in the place two blocks away staying in business.

Comment

10 year old study from Harvard citing that the more tipping there is the more corrupt that society is:

https://dash.harvard.edu/bitstream/h...-6-12-SPPS.pdf

I suspect most Harvard people don't end up in jobs that has tipping. So uber rationalization against optional trickle-down.

Comment

Why tip someone for something I’m capable of doing myself? I can deliver food. I can drive a taxi. I can, and do, cut my own hair.

After reading this thread I didn’t tip at Voodoo Donuts when they brought the online order out to my car, nor at the airport place where I gathered my own overpriced drinks and overpriced chicken Caesar salad and carried it to the cash register. I did, however, tip ~18% pre-tax for a meal out at a restaurant. I usually tip 20% but my water went unfilled for over 10 minutes, even after asking, and half of our meals were served with cold items on them that were supposed to be hot. Not the end of the world, but also not great service.

Comment

I think what has changed is the newer charge card machines that automatically add the recommended tip. The easy answer, is to pay with cash.

Comment

What about those payments on I PADS where its 18% and up
                  Just leave cash as its tax free we hope

Comment

Originally posted by Kennyt7 View Post
                    Select ‘Other’.

Comment

Originally posted by TheDangerZone View Post
                      This is an aside but do you guys tip based on the post-tax total or the pre-tax total? I grew up in a no sales tax state and once I moved, it always rubbed me the wrong way to tip based on the post-tax total.

25% tip example:
                      Pre tax/no tax: Dinner = $100, tip $25, grand total $125
                      Post tax: Dinner $100, tax $10, tip $27.5, grand total $137.5

It's like I'm tipping the staff even more simply because I had the privilege of having my meal taxed. Now I understand post-tax total is how most people do it and it's just a few bucks so I follow along, but it's never made sense to me. Maybe someone here has a take on this that does.
                      I go off the pretax amount. Baseline is 20% at a sit down restaurant, but we rarely dine out. Takeout is 10% for the most part. As for other places/situations, I do overpay the house cleaning lady. Christmas bonus for her and yard guy

Comment

Originally posted by Kennyt7 View Post
                        https://youtu.be/-gKuQ6aT6lg

slightly inappropriate

Comment

Originally posted by TheDangerZone View Post
                          This is an aside but do you guys tip based on the post-tax total or the pre-tax total? I grew up in a no sales tax state and once I moved, it always rubbed me the wrong way to tip based on the post-tax total.

25% tip example:
                          Pre tax/no tax: Dinner = $100, tip $25, grand total $125
                          Post tax: Dinner $100, tax $10, tip $27.5, grand total $137.5

It's like I'm tipping the staff even more simply because I had the privilege of having my meal taxed. Now I understand post-tax total is how most people do it and it's just a few bucks so I follow along, but it's never made sense to me. Maybe someone here has a take on this that does.
                          My wife would (and does) tip 2x sales tax or in your example : $20/20%. Done.

Comment

Tipping for most services you frequent is fine and expected - like barbershop, restaurant, delivery, Uber, etc.

But the option to tip at every coffeeshop or take out place is kinda annoying. Unless you go to the same local cafe often, then it prolly makes sense to tip them regularly since it's a friendly face and you have some rapport.

Comment

I have tipping fatigue too

question: dinner for a group , 20 % service charge already included in bill . Will you tip on top of that ?

bought a small pack for chips for couple of dollars at airport . Employee Turns the screen towards me with tip options . I declined

do we have to tip for everything now ? Prices have gone up already .

Comment

Originally posted by uksho View Post
                                I have tipping fatigue too

question: dinner for a group , 20 % service charge already included in bill . Will you tip on top of that ?
                                100% no. That’s the included tip.

Comment

Working...
                                X