No announcement yet.

What are your summer travel plans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Either France or Italy, or both, can’t decide! Probably a trip to Michigan to see my parents new house, hopefully a lot of overnight camping trips, and my annual pilgrimage to the World Series of Poker in Las Vegas.

Comment

Originally posted by klkraft87 View Post
      We're taking a quick weekend to Dry Tortugas in a few weeks, then going to Gulf Shores with the whole family for a week and a half this summer. Planning a trip to Zion and Arches this fall. It's challenging to do a whole lot with three kiddos under 4.
      If you’re going to Zion and Arches, definitely go a little out of the way to Bryce Canyon, it’s worth it!

Comment

Originally posted by OldSoul View Post
        The great thing about being empty nesters is that we can travel off-peak season. We're also going to Maui in early June, before most schools let out. Also going to Portugal late September. Pit.alumni, what's your favorite food place on Maui. We love Eskimo Candy (takeout large varieties of Poke) and Nalu's in Kihei.
        We always stay in Napili, a studio with an ocean view Lanai. My favorite place to eat is on the Lanai, we do fresh fish and pineapple on the grill, salad veggies from the farmers market and mix up some cocktails. Rinse and repeat.

Comment

https://homes-and-villas.marriott.com

Comment

A heck of a lot of nothin'. One conference trip for CME for 3 days, otherwise visit grandparents, maybe an overnight in a historic town within a 2 hour drive. That's what you get with two kiddos under 2yo, and no family support nearby (plus significant other who is on a tenure-track, coming close to the end of that string, with a hopefully positive resolution).

Comment

A week in Western PA with family in late May.

A week in Colorado in July (half remote work, half play).

18 days in France in September.

Comment

Originally posted by Marko-ER View Post
                A heck of a lot of nothin'. One conference trip for CME for 3 days, otherwise visit grandparents, maybe an overnight in a historic town within a 2 hour drive. That's what you get with two kiddos under 2yo, and no family support nearby...
                Frankly, given your kids ages that sounds like a much more relaxing vacation than a trip requiring actual travel. Toddlers and long trips (especially by plane) just don't mix well. Better to rent a cabin/AirBnB at a nearby scenic spot and spend some time chillin'. The big trips will still be there when your kids are older.

Comment

Originally posted by artemis View Post

Frankly, given your kids ages that sounds like a much more relaxing vacation than a trip requiring actual travel. Toddlers and long trips (especially by plane) just don't mix well. Better to rent a cabin/AirBnB at a nearby scenic spot and spend some time chillin'. The big trips will still be there when your kids are older.
                  Yeah, agree. Mostly posted after seeing this thread and feeling sorry for myself -- have not gone anywhere but a local state park or visiting immediate family 3-4 hours away over the past two years and probably nothing more than that for the next couple of years either. All the posts about international travel and Hawaii got me down. But on the flip side we did buy a small vacation cabin last year, there's that.

Comment

Originally posted by Marko-ER View Post

Yeah, agree. Mostly posted after seeing this thread and feeling sorry for myself -- have not gone anywhere but a local state park or visiting immediate family 3-4 hours away over the past two years and probably nothing more than that for the next couple of years either. All the posts about international travel and Hawaii got me down. But on the flip side we did buy a small vacation cabin last year, there's that.
                    Right now international travel is a big hassle (since you still have to have a negative COVID test within 24 hours of your return flight in order to get back into the US), and so is air travel in general as the airlines keep cancelling flights on short notice and repeatedly changing flight schedules (generally to less convenient times or adding unwanted connections), and they don't have enough personnel to handle even minor travel disruptions. I had a flight in late January that was cancelled within 12 hours of departure; the flight couldn't be rebooked online or via the airline app, and the wait time to speak to a ticketing agent was 11+ hours! Especially with toddlers, why risk that? A short road trip followed by some peaceful time in a cabin sounds wonderful!

Comment

Maui and Yellowstone. Problem is that my wife accidentally purchased 2 set of plane tickets. Clicked the purchase button but appeared that it didn't go through. Unfortunately it did go through. Called Hawaiian airlines, no refund, but they gave us credit, so we go again by March next year.

Comment

Originally posted by burritos View Post
                        Maui and Yellowstone. Problem is that my wife accidentally purchased 2 set of plane tickets. Clicked the purchase button but appeared that it didn't go through. Unfortunately it did go through. Called Hawaiian airlines, no refund, but they gave us credit, so we go again by March next year.
                        I did this once many years ago, don’t remember the name of the airline. It took me over an hour on the phone, talking to several people and supervisors to convince them that I didn’t want to buy two tickets for my wife on the same flight before they’d give me a refund.

Comment

Road trip in August along the Oregon coast, ending with a Backroads biking/hiking vacation in the Bend/Crater Lake area.

Comment

Originally posted by HikingDO View Post

I did this once many years ago, don’t remember the name of the airline. It took me over an hour on the phone, talking to several people and supervisors to convince them that I didn’t want to buy two tickets for my wife on the same flight before they’d give me a refund.
                            Case where your credit card company steps in nicely.

Comment

“Minor” pool and spa rehab: glass bead tile and seal, replastering and replace water fixtures and drains and lights (those suckers were sticker shock). Pretty large pool 9ft deep 35k gallons about with 3 waterfalls.
                              A fraction of the cost in California. $8.

Comment

Working...
                              X