Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Random1
    replied
    I have some patients who buy products when they are on sale and then sell them on Amazon. Could always run over to walmart between patients, stock up of cheap toilet paper and then resell it on Amazon.

Leave a comment:

• StarTrekDoc
    replied
    Max Power IIRC, OP asked is there such a thing "Heard about people selling stuff on Amazon making $1000 per month up to $1000 per day. Is this a thing?"

-- the answer is yes.

Many do real estate business and SBO - surgical center or dental office -- clearly NOT utilizing that valuable MD/DO/DDS skillset, so throw rocks that way too while we're at it.

Amazon/eBay - can be quite profitable if sourced and scaled correctly (read -- not Ali as you proport as most do); otherwise you'll be with all those HS dropouts that you reference. Never said one should replace physician income with it. -- this is what child labor is all about (much more profitable than a lemonade stand and teaches a lot about SBO)

Leave a comment:

• Max Power
    replied
    Originally posted by StarTrekDoc View Post
    We actually have an Amazon shop since its marketplace inception and go way back to the beginnings of eBay -- so quite familiar with all the ins/outs of selling online at scale.

If we did a poll (lordosis -- calling you!). My bet is that Amazon would top the total spend with Costco probably at Forum spot. ebay/Wm/Target in 3-5. Alibaba wouldn't be top 5. probably not even above HomeDepot/Bestbuy or even etsy.
    Nobody said Ali is anywhere near top 5 or top 10 in USA in sales... they simply have better prices. Most USA people mistrust a foreign-run website if domestic are available, and they want express shipping in a week or less. We are the country that invented fast food, and I'd doubt AliExpress will ever be more than moderately successful unless they started USA warehouses. The USA buys are less than 5% of their sales and revenue, though. They are primarily an Asia company.

All that was said is that a lot of eBay and Amazon re-sellers (such as yourself, apparently) acquire their bulk stuff from Alibaba or the same China manufacturers that Ali uses, and I said that AliExpress has the many of the exact same goods as Amazon for a fraction of the price (since they buy in China the way Sams buys here.. yet their ship time will be slightly or significantly longer).

Everyone realizes amazon shops do exist and many profit. The guy's question is if it's worth starting one present day. You would recommend it to someone (with med professional income potential) right now... with ship costs, with competition level, fees rising, etc? Do you earnestly believe you have found 'sourcing' which other re-sellers and Walmart and the like cannot? That worked in year 2000, but today? Cmon.

Buying bulk t-shirts or toys or hoverboards or whatever and selling online piecemeal on USA websites is a very 'red ocean' business where any high school dropout can do it, and that is why it is very saturated and continually ground down by fees. I would be amazed if anyone advises it as a cost-effective use of a doc's time to start a biz today. It is akin to starting gas stations, hotels, or soda machines... yes, it works. No, your profits are not amazing since there is competition at every turn. When you have a unique and valuable MD skill which is much more blue ocean, the red ocean businesses are at best a hobby or a bit of retirement income.

Leave a comment:

• StarTrekDoc
    replied
    We actually have an Amazon shop since its marketplace inception and go way back to the beginnings of eBay -- so quite familiar with all the ins/outs of selling online at scale.

If we did a poll (lordosis -- calling you!). My bet is that Amazon would top the total spend with Costco probably at Forum spot. ebay/Wm/Target in 3-5. Alibaba wouldn't be top 5. probably not even above HomeDepot/Bestbuy or even etsy.

Leave a comment:

• Max Power
    replied
    It is not a thing to sell common goods on Amazon (or eBay). It is a fool's quest now. Amazon just raised their seller fees ("fuel and pandemic")...
    https://sellercentral.amazon.com/gp/...language=en_US

The Prime subscription rate hiked also... they are grasping at straws to keep profitable. No joke. Many sales is not creating much profit.
    As mentioned, there are just faaar too many sellers and they grind one another down (while Amazon also grinds them with fees). It was fantastic to be an eBay or Amazon seller, but the market is now saturated with exception of maybe a few niche or homemade products. If I could dislike the post above me, I would... totally incorrect. Amazon doesn't produce much, and they are just selling China stuff on their own and via bulk buyers who sell piecemeal. They don't sell a lot of USA made stuff, groceries, services (auto, photo, optometrist, pharma, etc) like Walmart that they can negotiate prices on and keep some goods semi-proprietary.

Amazon is getting so bad that their profit margins are now sub-5% of total income, which is barely heard for "growing" businesses and rare of outside consumer staples like grocery stores or WMT. Their AMZN stock price suffers accordingly... they announced the 20/1 split when it was plump and it has tanked lately (down about twice what S&P is down for YTD and down over 15% more than S&P in last 365d), lol. The funny part is that the split was assumed to be partially for DOW consideration, but AMZN actually has real potential to slide out of the Fortune 100 in this decade. Google for smart home or Netflix for stream are highly formidable competitors. Amazon is on shaky ground in the years to come with their core business as well as their diversifications they made when they thought they were untouchable. Can anyone remember Buy.com? Overstock? Jet.com? It is not an easy business to just be a giant middleman selling goods from foreign lands.

Amazon and their sellers simply sell the China stuff that Alibaba does, but they can ship it faster since they (or their sellers) hold it in US warehouses... so they charge 25-100+% more. I honestly think it's dumb to buy on Amazon these days unless it is something you can't wait a couple weeks for or something that is very heavy with cost-prohibitive shipping on AliExpress. Walmart usually beats Amazon prices on most of the heavy stuff, and Ali beats them on price of 80% of things I buy that are easy to mail... exact same products.

If you are considering selling unique stuff or artistic or antique crafty things, try eBay or Etsy.
    If you are selling books you write and orig content, Amazon is an ok way to get your name out there, but they cut you alive with heavy fees according to a few of my buddies who are retired and amateur authors. It should simply be a way to direct traffic to your name. I'm sure that WCI keeps at least 3x as much for each book he sells on his website vs on Amazon.

Originally posted by Craigslist View Post
    Market is too flooded, most stuff on there is from alibaba and everyone is undercutting each other ...
    The stuff is not "from Alibaba," it is all just made in China. They are both just middlemen... in different ways.

Ali has the advantage of lower costs and taxes since they have high China presence, and AliExpress therefore has a lot lower prices than Amazon (cut shipping can take 2-5x as long).

Amazon has the stuff in the US and can get it to buyers faster, but they will pay for it.

Leave a comment:

• StarTrekDoc
    replied
    Yes, can be very profitable like any small business. Hard part is finding your niche and cultivating sourcing efficiently to scale properly.

There's also the customer side of things. Amazon buyers routinely pay a premium over the likes of ebay but it comes with a higher return rate and you simply eat those costs.

Leave a comment:

• Lordosis
    replied
    Originally posted by Savedfpdoc View Post

Is the effort more than the aggravation from doing prior auths or peer to peers or dealing w pain med seekers or xanax seekers? That is the question..
    You get paid well for that aggravation. And if you do not than you need to find a job where you do.

Unless you have some sort of market advantage I doubt you would be able to make very much selling stuff online.

I know someone who trades collectables online but there is a lot of inefficiency in that market and he knows what he is doing so it is profitable.

Leave a comment:

• Savedfpdoc
    replied
    Originally posted by AR View Post

Yes.

The real question is how much effort they put into it. It varies widely, but it's often more time and effort than anyone posting here would want to expend.
    Is the effort more than the aggravation from doing prior auths or peer to peers or dealing w pain med seekers or xanax seekers? That is the question..

Leave a comment:

• bovie
    replied
    Heard about people selling stuff on Amazon making $1000 per month up to $1000 per day. Is this a thing?
    China…

Leave a comment:

• Craigslist
    replied
    Market is too flooded, most stuff on there is from alibaba and everyone is undercutting each other to the point where the margin is pennies and everyone is getting it from the same manufacturer. So the only people that are making money are the people that have estabilished long ago or the best marketing photos and the people with those most (positive) ratings or find a niche that hasnt been flooded yet (which it will once people see that you are moving weight).

Leave a comment:

• AR
    replied
    Heard about people selling stuff on Amazon making $1000 per month up to $1000 per day. Is this a thing?
    Yes.

The real question is how much effort they put into it. It varies widely, but it's often more time and effort than anyone posting here would want to expend.

Leave a comment:

• Savedfpdoc
    started a topic Selling stuff on Amazon as a job…

Selling stuff on Amazon as a job…

Working...
X