BBQ setup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JWeb View Post

Seriously? Watch any of the numerous YouTube videos about it and you'll be glad you did.
    Already got rid of the ************************ thing. My wife's not gonna sit around and watch youtube.

Comment

I would not buy Louisiana Grills. I returned two of them to costco, one for bad igniter leading to no ignition and then massive flare ups, one for broken fan leading to the pellet hopper catching on fire.

If you're looking at Pellet Grills, I love my Grilla Silverbac, though the OG Grilla was also tempting in a unique form factor. RecTeq is also a great (albeit more expensive) option. I then use GrillGrates for searing.

It really comes down to what you want to do with it, as there are pros and cons to each approach. Personally, I think if you want one machine to do a lot of things a good pellet grill/smoker is the best option. If you are ok with multiple things, something like a Kamado style grill (for high temps/smoking) can be paired with a cheap gas grill when you just want something fast for burgers.)

Gas grill (note get a weber and not a cheapo store brand that will rust in a year)
      Pros:
      Quick, easy, relatively cheap, cheap fuel. Ideal for quickly grilling some burgers, hotdogs, etc. Gets up to high temperatures for searing

Cons:
      Less flavor (no smoke/charcoal flavor), harder to use for low/slow cooking or smoking, though it can be done

Pellet Grills (the jack of all trades option)
      Pros:
      Relatively quick/easy, can just set a temperature and forget it (like an oven). Ideal for low and slow smoking, but also work for grilling burgers and dogs or using as a combo (i.e. smoke your tri-tip at low temp for a while and then Sear) all in one device. When it comes to using as a regular grill, it will be slower then gas but faster then charcoal. not as ideal for searing as it doesn't get to as high a temp on the grates, but that is greatly improved by GrillGrates. A lot of them can also have attachments like a pizza oven, etc.

Cons:
      Less smoke/charcoal flavor then you'll get with a wood or charcoal smoker, though can be offset by smoke tubes. Not as fast as gas. Expensive to get a high quality one.
      Not as good for super high temps/searing, though GrillGrates (alluminum grates that go above your regular grates and concentrate heat for searing) help mitigate this

Kamado Style charcoal grills (Big green egg)

Pros: Can go from low/slow smoking to super high temps for searing or pizzas. Great flavor profile from charcoal. Hold temperature well once you figure them out.

Cons: Much more maintenance required to get/maintain temperature compared to pellet grills. Takes longer to come to temp. Charcoal is a more expensive fuel (Gas < pellets < charcoal)

Kettle style charcoal grills:

Pros: Cheap. Great flavor from charcoal. Can get to high temps

Cons: Much worse temperature regulation then Kamados makes it really tough to maintain temps for low/slow cooking. Takes a while to come to temperature. Uses charcoal.

Comment

There are several electronic temperature control devices for the kamado ceramic grills.
        - Kamado Joe iKamand
        -ThermoWorks Billows
        -Flame Boss
        -DigiQ, now has newer versions called DynaQ and UltraQ

I have an earlier, non-Wifi version for simplicity of the DigiQ and it does work. The minimal stable temperature with the device was about 250F.

Eventually as I gained more experience I just adjust the vent, manually fan, and drink some beer while waiting for the temperature and smoke to settle. Usually from starting a fire to ready to cook, about 30 minutes. I start the fire with an Iwatani butane torch. Sometimes I use a Weber chimney starter with newspaper or butane portable stove depending on the mood.

Comment

Originally posted by TheTodd View Post
          I would not buy Louisiana Grills. I returned two of them to costco, one for bad igniter leading to no ignition and then massive flare ups, one for broken fan leading to the pellet hopper catching on fire.

If you're looking at Pellet Grills, I love my Grilla Silverbac, though the OG Grilla was also tempting in a unique form factor. RecTeq is also a great (albeit more expensive) option. I then use GrillGrates for searing.

It really comes down to what you want to do with it, as there are pros and cons to each approach. Personally, I think if you want one machine to do a lot of things a good pellet grill/smoker is the best option. If you are ok with multiple things, something like a Kamado style grill (for high temps/smoking) can be paired with a cheap gas grill when you just want something fast for burgers.)

Gas grill (note get a weber and not a cheapo store brand that will rust in a year)
          Pros:
          Quick, easy, relatively cheap, cheap fuel. Ideal for quickly grilling some burgers, hotdogs, etc. Gets up to high temperatures for searing

Cons:
          Less flavor (no smoke/charcoal flavor), harder to use for low/slow cooking or smoking, though it can be done

Pellet Grills (the jack of all trades option)
          Pros:
          Relatively quick/easy, can just set a temperature and forget it (like an oven). Ideal for low and slow smoking, but also work for grilling burgers and dogs or using as a combo (i.e. smoke your tri-tip at low temp for a while and then Sear) all in one device. When it comes to using as a regular grill, it will be slower then gas but faster then charcoal. not as ideal for searing as it doesn't get to as high a temp on the grates, but that is greatly improved by GrillGrates. A lot of them can also have attachments like a pizza oven, etc.

Cons:
          Less smoke/charcoal flavor then you'll get with a wood or charcoal smoker, though can be offset by smoke tubes. Not as fast as gas. Expensive to get a high quality one.
          Not as good for super high temps/searing, though GrillGrates (alluminum grates that go above your regular grates and concentrate heat for searing) help mitigate this

Kamado Style charcoal grills (Big green egg)

Pros: Can go from low/slow smoking to super high temps for searing or pizzas. Great flavor profile from charcoal. Hold temperature well once you figure them out.

Cons: Much more maintenance required to get/maintain temperature compared to pellet grills. Takes longer to come to temp. Charcoal is a more expensive fuel (Gas < pellets < charcoal)

Kettle style charcoal grills:

Pros: Cheap. Great flavor from charcoal. Can get to high temps

Cons: Much worse temperature regulation then Kamados makes it really tough to maintain temps for low/slow cooking. Takes a while to come to temperature. Uses charcoal.
          +1 on the grill grates. Make a big difference getting quick hard sear on a steak. Not really into messing with charcoal but considered pellet smoker in addition to our Weber. Used smoke tube in the Weber a few times also

Comment

Working...
          X