BBQ setup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BBQ setup

anyone else grill and smoke meats? i'm looking for suggestions of grills, smokers, pizza ovens to put in my 4 seasons room kitchen. . what brand and what things would you put in it? needs: smoker, charcoal grill, natural gas grill, pizza oven. originally I was going to use a green egg, blaze gas grill, and louisiana pellet smoker or amerique from cookshack, and then a pizza oven like ooni. I'd like to find one that combines some of these needs. (no traeger as it isnt built all that well.) I really like the idea of a kalamazoo hybrid grill but not sure how good it is and its a bit on the pricey side: https://www.williams-sonoma.com/prod...uilt-in-grill/

We've had good luck with Weber grills and I have a Weber Smokey Mountain.

Of course anything at Williams Sonoma is going to be on the pricy side. I'd be hard-pressed to believe a grill can be worth anything close to $20k. I've always read to avoid built in grills because it becomes a real pain to replace if you ever have any issues (and many just sit there broken) but I don't have any personal experience with that.

Comment

I have a Camp Chef pellet smoker, quite happy with it. Pork shoulders for pulled pork, brisket, salmon, sides...very easy. My new want is a Blackstone flat top

Chef Tom at All Things BBQ is my go to as Im still a novice learning much of this. Excellent resource.
      https://www.youtube.com/user/allthingsbbq?app=desktop

Comment

Originally posted by DollaDollaBillS$$$ View Post
        needs: smoker, charcoal grill, natural gas grill, pizza oven. originally I was going to use a green egg, blaze gas grill, and louisiana pellet smoker or amerique from cookshack, and then a pizza oven like ooni. I'd like to find one that combines some of these needs. https://www.williams-sonoma.com/prod...uilt-in-grill/
        I have the Big Green Egg and love it. It smokes things amazingly well. Gets up to 600-700 degrees to sear steaks or bake a pizza.

Although you can grill on the BGE, I usually just use the gas grill because it's so much faster. The downside to the BGE is it does take 45 minutes to get up to the right temperature. And you need to be around to maintain the temp some. You can't leave it for 8 hours, although I leave it for 2-3 hours and it does great with that.

Comment

Originally posted by JWeb View Post

I have the Big Green Egg and love it. It smokes things amazingly well. Gets up to 600-700 degrees to sear steaks or bake a pizza.

Although you can grill on the BGE, I usually just use the gas grill because it's so much faster. The downside to the BGE is it does take 45 minutes to get up to the right temperature. And you need to be around to maintain the temp some. You can't leave it for 8 hours, although I leave it for 2-3 hours and it does great with that.
          yeah I have the generic version of the green egg= kamodo version. same thing basically. your right though, the egg is great, but gas is so much more convenient but doesnt taste nearly as good. I guess I'm trying to not have so many grills/work stations. 1) Egg or charcoal grill, 2) gas grill 3) electric smoker for ease 4) pizza oven. its all going to be inside so then I have to vent all of these things. I dont really want a 1/2 dozen vents either.

Comment

Originally posted by CordMcNally View Post
            We've had good luck with Weber grills and I have a Weber Smokey Mountain.

Of course anything at Williams Sonoma is going to be on the pricy side. I'd be hard-pressed to believe a grill can be worth anything close to $20k. I've always read to avoid built in grills because it becomes a real pain to replace if you ever have any issues (and many just sit there broken) but I don't have any personal experience with that.
            I've actually got the opposite problem. When we moved into our house, we kept our Weber, but had a built in grill. The Weber was in case the built in one failed. The built in one has been going fine with a couple of minor repairs. On the other hand I tried the Weber about 5 years ago and I couldn't get it to work. It's still sitting out there because I'm too lazy to get rid of it.

Comment

Originally posted by DollaDollaBillS$$$ View Post

yeah I have the generic version of the green egg= kamodo version. same thing basically. your right though, the egg is great, but gas is so much more convenient but doesnt taste nearly as good. I guess I'm trying to not have so many grills/work stations. 1) Egg or charcoal grill, 2) gas grill 3) electric smoker for ease 4) pizza oven. its all going to be inside so then I have to vent all of these things. I dont really want a 1/2 dozen vents either.
              I don't know why you would need anything other than the BGE and a gas grill. You can do pizza on the BGE. Unless you want to make a pizza once a week and have it be easier with a dedicated pizza oven. I'm going to pretend you didn't write "electric smoker".

Comment

A lot of what you want/suggested are on the higher end in terms of price. My wife got me this smoker for fathers day last year and I've used it successfully with ribs, fish, chicken, flank steak, and we even did our thanksgiving turkey in it. I haven't messed up yet and I had no prior smoking experience. I recommend:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CN38M23...9b1f6dbae&th=1

$200

Comment

Originally posted by AR View Post

I've actually got the opposite problem. When we moved into our house, we kept our Weber, but had a built in grill. The Weber was in case the built in one failed. The built in one has been going fine with a couple of minor repairs. On the other hand I tried the Weber about 5 years ago and I couldn't get it to work. It's still sitting out there because I'm too lazy to get rid of it.
                  I bet it's easier (and cheaper) to take care of the Weber situation than if the situation were reversed.

Comment

I have a lot of outdoor cooking devices. Kind of embarrassing, but they include a combo gas/charcoal grill, a Weber Smokey mountain, a “custom” offset smoker, a green egg, and more recently Blackstone griddle.

If I was building a permanent cooking area, I would avoid the built-in equipment for reasons posted above. If limiting equipment, get the XL big green egg and have the contractor build a little inset in the counter where an egg can sit. That would give you the versatility of the egg (grilling, searing, baking, smoking, etc) and make it look like it belongs there. Could also be easily replaced if necessary. I imagine a griddle built into the countertop would be fairly easy and enjoyable too. That’s what I would do in your situation. I’ve kept my gas grill around thinking I would want the quick access, but honestly, I don’t remember the last time I used it.

Comment

Originally posted by JWeb View Post

I'm going to pretend you didn't write "electric smoker".

LOL! thanks for the chuckle! I never thought I'd like one either, but I actually got a cookshack amerique and it does an amazing job of smoking meats. I wanted electric so I could go mow or go for a boat ride and not worry about the smoking meats.

Comment

I've got a Weber Genesis for convenience of most grilling. Also have a Kamado Joe for weekend smokes and pizza cooking. I think they are a much better value than BGE with no drop off in quality. They come with a stand and side racks with no additional cost. Still ridiculously heavy to move/unload from the car.

The KJ will also hold temperature for hours without much tweaking with a well built fire. I find it more satisfying than using the pellet smokers but get that the set it and forget it is appealing.

Comment

Originally posted by CordMcNally View Post

I bet it's easier (and cheaper) to take care of the Weber situation than if the situation were reversed.
                          Maybe in general, but the problems I've had were easy

1. The installation was stupid, so the LED lights and warming drawer are connected to a GFCI outlet that is extremely difficult to access. Finding it was tough, but now that I know where it is, it is not so bad (it requires 2 people and moving the grill slightly).

2. Led light bulb went out and needed replacement.

3. There are these ceramic blocks for heat distrubution at the base that get food drippings on them and they are very difficult to clean, so I replaced them. They're cheap, but prying out the old ones and putting in the new ones is a pain. It's easy enough that I could do it, but I had a handyman do it when he came over for something else.

I guess the grill still worked the whole time despite above problems.

Speaking of grills, anyone have any tips for cleaning them?

Comment

weber gas grill, convenient. Traeger pellet smoker. Green egg, cheap weber kettle charcoal

Comment

I have had 2 Green Eggs and they were great, but after my last one fell and shattered (don't ask) I purchased a Primo Oval ceramic grill. It would do everything you are asking. The big benefit to the oval is the spacing. The round Green Egg was often too crowded. I use a Looflighter to start it which is like a hair dryer with a heater coil in it. Lights quickly and usually am cooking in 20 minutes or so.

Comment

Working...
                              X