Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

3D printing

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • 3D printing

    anyone into it? I’m getting there. Ordered my machine around holidays got a Prusa Mk3s+ just got running a week or so ago. I did manage to design and print a 120mm to 140mm computer fan adapter for a project I’m working on. Measure half a dozen times print once. Ordered some calipers. Very much a hobby. Kids like it too. We printed a few characters and a pineapple. No glocks (yet).

  • #2
    No but it seems interesting and could be extremely useful for printing various doodads around the house.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by CordMcNally View Post
      No but it seems interesting and could be extremely useful for printing various doodads around the house.
      zero productivity borne out as of yet. Disney characters and crap for dads computers.

      as far as around the house you’re of course limited by the colors of print filament that you have on hand.

      would you like a nice royal blue G19?

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by jacoavlu View Post

        zero productivity borne out as of yet. Disney characters and crap for dads computers.

        as far as around the house you’re of course limited by the colors of print filament that you have on hand.

        would you like a nice royal blue G19?
        I would take any color with pink being my least favorite.

        What kind of printer do you have? I wouldn’t even know where to start looking for one.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by CordMcNally View Post

          I would take any color with pink being my least favorite.

          What kind of printer do you have? I wouldn’t even know where to start looking for one.
          i have a prusa. Higher end consumer model. Ender are popular.

          Comment


          • #6
            Awesome technology. So much potential.

            Great for anatomic models as well.

            Comment


            • #7
              I have a couple patients who are into this. One is doing a side hustle selling products on etsy. It seems like they are very finicky and slow. But my patients have made some cool, very practical items. The person I saw today said a new machine that is much more normal person user friendly made by anker is coming out soon and thinks at some point we'll all have them in our house to make random household items. Guess we'll see. I definitely don't have the patience to do this kind of thing in its current state.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by bovie View Post
                Great for anatomic models as well.
                I have so many questions I don’t want the answer to…

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by CordMcNally View Post

                  I have so many questions I don’t want the answer to…
                  Ha! Coronaries and aortas Cord, coronaries and aortas

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    At a tumor board maybe 5 years back I saw ENT present a patient that required base of skull resection. They 3D printed the plastic reconstruction from the fused MRI/CT then had the plastic reconstruction machine milled into titanium? which they used for the actual surgical reconstruction. Incredibly cool case.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4706489

                      This is the best thing my son has printed on our Prusa mini

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        In dentistry 3D printing is become quite popular. At this point, I'm printing study models of teeth, surgical guides for implants, and bite guards. The applications are endless.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by jbou2 View Post
                          In dentistry 3D printing is become quite popular. At this point, I'm printing study models of teeth, surgical guides for implants, and bite guards. The applications are endless.
                          Interesting!

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by PhotonsRGR8 View Post
                            At a tumor board maybe 5 years back I saw ENT present a patient that required base of skull resection. They 3D printed the plastic reconstruction from the fused MRI/CT then had the plastic reconstruction machine milled into titanium? which they used for the actual surgical reconstruction. Incredibly cool case.
                            I do this every Thursday. Fun stuff.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              I have about nine 3D printers for various uses including 1 for my fellow who takes it with him when he graduates, then I buy a new one for the next fellow. My group has a 3D printing lab in a building we purchased across the street from the hospital a few years ago. We print skull models for orbital reconstruction, for zygomatic/perygoid dental implants, and dental prosthetics for immediate/total jaw reconstruction with implants in fibulas.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X