No announcement yet.

Shoes in the house

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No shoes in house now, but grew up not taking them off. I use LL Bean sheepskin slippers in winter.

We have some close friends who are Asian and I remember being amazed when going over to their place in the winter (northern US) and the father would come to the door with a sweater and scarf on but barefoot! I grew up in the north but my feet would have been freezing!

Comment

Originally posted by CordMcNally View Post

How many women do you have coming through your house in stilettos...? I guess that's another thing, I honestly can't remember the last time anyone had on high heels in our house.
      The answer to this question is universal…. Not nearly enough…. Some shoe rules where made to be broken.

Comment

Originally posted by Anne View Post

To me the question is if your shoes aren’t caked with mud/dirt and you just got home and really need to go to the bathroom…or you put on your shoes (that aren’t just slip ons, you have to put some small degree of exertion into putting them on/taking them off) and you realize you forgot something in the center of your house…do you remove your shoes to run and get it or not? When you are home chilling, sure who wants to be wearing shoes (well, I guess some people on here do, I definitely don’t)….but how much of a stickler for the no shoes rule are you for a 30 second trip through your house when you are going to be leaving again?
        I take them off 99% of the time. My 5 yo may be the only outlier on that one in our house. He's like a honeybadger.

Comment

We don't wear shoes inside our apartment. We have hardwood floors though, so often end up wearing house slippers. We haven't really had any visitors since moving here, except for a handyman who wore his boots indoors. I didn't say anything about it, but cringed internally and kept a close eye on where he walked and cleaned the floor after he left...

I also typically change my clothes as soon as I get home if I'm not planning to go back out again. And I really don't like lying in the bed without showering if I've been out all day working/running errands/whatever. This thread is reminding me that I need to swap out my exfoliating mitt soon, the one that feels like a brillo pad...

Comment

Sometimes in the afternoon.
            Always in the morning. Sometimes in the evening as well

Comment

Originally posted by Kamban View Post

Even in a hotel I take my shoes off. Rarely keep the socks on but mostly it comes off too.

I try to stay in good chain hotels.
              Do you take off your shoes when you enter the building, as you apparently do with a house? Or do you keep them on in common areas and only remove them when you get to your room?

Comment

I would use this opportunity to score a nicer pair of shoes on the way out. You leave a pair, you take a pair.
                Boy, i needed that laugh. I just love you (today lol)!
                Our passion is protecting clients and others from predatory and ignorant advisors. Fox & Co CPAs, Fox & Co Wealth Mgmt. 270-247-6087

Comment

Originally posted by afan View Post

Do you take off your shoes when you enter the building, as you apparently do with a house? Or do you keep them on in common areas and only remove them when you get to your room?
                  hotels - Room only. I don't think they will allow me barefoot in the front lobby. :-)

https://freakonomics.com/podcast/the...re-killing-me/

Comment

Originally posted by AR View Post
                    If you're a shoes-off house, then do you have a party exception to that general rule?
                    In the former house I did not enforce it strictly ( in retrospect, I should have). And learned the hard way how things can go wrong. Luckily the visitors were confined to just the common room and not wander in other areas with shoes.

In the new house, no shoes. Rare exceptions of booties on work shoes for work people who have come in.

Comment

Sunny San Diego Asian family with dog.

99% shoefree home. Guests get slippers and booties for the non-asain folk who get all weirded out without shoes.

Have Coco mats at all door entries for dog and barefoot wiping.

Parties. Shoes Off. Stilettos get booties ❤️🤪

Hotel. Shoes off at room entry.

Comment

Originally posted by Jaqen Haghar MD View Post

The answer to this question is universal…. Not nearly enough…. Some shoe rules where made to be broken.
                        Actually, not universal. I know of a doc whose fiance was a dancer for one of the of cirque de soleil shows in Las Vegas. She had tons of friends who were various different types of dancers and they threw some apparently epic parties at their house (no, I never went to one). I don't know the exact number, but I'm sure it was high enough to tempt one to make some, um, unhealthy decisions. So, probably more than enough.

Comment

Originally posted by StarTrekDoc View Post

Parties. Shoes Off. Stilettos get booties ❤️🤪
                          Somehow I read that as panties off, maybe from skimming the booties reference. I must have confused you with Kamban for a minute there.

Comment

Actually, not universal. I know of a doc whose fiance was a dancer for one of the of cirque de soleil shows in Las Vegas. She had tons of friends who were various different types of dancers and they threw some apparently epic parties at their house (no, I never went to one). I don't know the exact number, but I'm sure it was high enough to tempt one to make some, um, unhealthy decisions. So, probably more than enough.
                            At that point, you’re welcome to walk on the countertops with your heels on. Marble can always be replaced.

….I’d bet a lot of things were being stepped on with stilettos by the end of those nights.

Comment

It's like toilet paper vs a bidet. I think the latter is cleaner, but from a health standpoint they're both obviously fine.
                              Fine, yes, I suppose.

But I'll offer a quick thought experiment for perspective: if you got poo on any other part of your body, would you just wipe it off with dry paper and call it a day?

Comment

I'm in the never-shoes camp. I don't believe it's strictly a question of infections. There is a component to cleanliness that might be termed psychological, and another still that might be termed spiritual. The psychological isn't a hangover from the instinctive/subpsychological, it's actually cultural residua from the spiritual, and the spiritual ultimately comes down to the question of whether you believe the material world exhausts all of what exists. If you do, there's not much you can use to bolster the idea of cleanliness since the infection argument is mostly nonsense, no matter how true it may be that shoes (that you've worn in public restrooms for chrissakes) are an organic cesspool. Someone used the term 'subjective', someone else called it 'icky', but those are weak psychological deflections - it's cultural because-civilizational-because-spiritual, and ties in with questions of purity, sanctity, holiness, inviolability, etc. Body as temple, home as temple, and so on.

Originally posted by StarTrekDoc View Post
                                Hotel. Shoes off at room entry.
                                wtaf

Hotels are gross. You just walk around barefoot in a hotel?

Comment

Working...
                                X