Shoes in the house

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No. Never, and why would you want that.

Shoes have been outside, anywhere, "clean" shoes is a total psyop, theyre not.

Besides, why would you want to be home and in your shoes, bit too much for me I want to be chilling in my socks. Shoes on in the house isnt comfortable. I'll sometimes wear house flops, but we dont think about it, we just take off our shoes. I have zero cultural or regional reason why it just kinda made sense. Maybe west coast "flops as often as possible" are just naturally more likely to kick them off asap.

Makes everything cleaner and less mess and isnt gross. Not at all concerned about germs, I try not to lick the floors and its impossible to keep the kids from doing so, but the clean aspect is not at all even a close comparison.

Comment

Originally posted by Zaphod View Post
      No. Never, and why would you want that.

Shoes have been outside, anywhere, "clean" shoes is a total psyop, theyre not.

Besides, why would you want to be home and in your shoes, bit too much for me I want to be chilling in my socks. Shoes on in the house isnt comfortable. I'll sometimes wear house flops, but we dont think about it, we just take off our shoes. I have zero cultural or regional reason why it just kinda made sense. Maybe west coast "flops as often as possible" are just naturally more likely to kick them off asap.

Makes everything cleaner and less mess and isnt gross. Not at all concerned about germs, I try not to lick the floors and its impossible to keep the kids from doing so, but the clean aspect is not at all even a close comparison.
      To me the question is if your shoes aren’t caked with mud/dirt and you just got home and really need to go to the bathroom…or you put on your shoes (that aren’t just slip ons, you have to put some small degree of exertion into putting them on/taking them off) and you realize you forgot something in the center of your house…do you remove your shoes to run and get it or not? When you are home chilling, sure who wants to be wearing shoes (well, I guess some people on here do, I definitely don’t)….but how much of a stickler for the no shoes rule are you for a 30 second trip through your house when you are going to be leaving again?

Comment

Originally posted by pit.alumni View Post
        Surprised to see such a large no shoe camp. I guess none of you are dog lovers.
        Or have outdoor/indoor cars who like to park their butts on furniture…

Comment

Originally posted by Romulus View Post
          It's one thing if you live in the outdoors among nature, but if you live in a city or work in the hospital, you see all sorts of nasty things on street and floors. The idea of those things entering our house, bedroom, bathrooms terrify me.
          Do you not think animals pee, poop, and vomit outside? Clearly if the shoes are visibly soiled then it's a no go but I think people vastly overestimate how clean their floors truly are.

Comment

Originally posted by Anne View Post
            ....but how much of a stickler for the no shoes rule are you for a 30 second trip through your house when you are going to be leaving again?
            When this happens to me, i either ask my spouse to get the item for me. If that is not possible, I slip off the shoes and put it back on again.

Comment

Originally posted by Tangler View Post
              This is our home. Slippers for all. Workers (plumbers etc) can wear booties (surgical booties) over shoes if they wish and we have a bucket of those, near the door.
              I tell every repair / work person who comes into the house to either remove their shoes and keep socks on or leave the shoes on and put on surgical booties. No work boots in the house.

Comment

Originally posted by CordMcNally View Post
                We have dogs so it's pointless. We typically do shoes on the hardwood but take them off for the carpet upstairs to try to keep it somewhat clean.
                Actually it is partly to protect the hardwood floors I keep the no shoes policy. I have had women with sharp stiletto heels that caused damage to our wooden floors in our previous house. And I cannot allow people with sneakers to have their shoes on and those with high heels to take them off. Easier to just insist on no shoes since pretty much 95% of the house is hardwood ( except the bathroom and kitchen)

Comment

For the germs, I would need to ask my spouse for my daughters 7th grade science fair project (long gone). I can only surmise door handles and pets are the primary offenders. Pets from the mouth, not the other end. Our pets have always gone outside. The is a difference between clean and orderly vs infections. My wife gripes about me picking up a dog toy and not immediately washing my hands. Occasionally tells me to put on some shoes instead of flip flops. Do you really track in that much stuff? Sweep it up. I doubt you will find much infections is you test it.
                  I have one kid that takes off his shoes when he visits. He is free to do as he chooses, I just say, coming through. No clue where he picked up that. Immediately plays with the dog getting licked all over.

Comment

Originally posted by Kamban View Post

Actually it is partly to protect the hardwood floors I keep the no shoes policy. I have had women with sharp stiletto heels that caused damage to our wooden floors in our previous house. And I cannot allow people with sneakers to have their shoes on and those with high heels to take them off. Easier to just insist on no shoes since pretty much 95% of the house is hardwood ( except the bathroom and kitchen)
                    How many women do you have coming through your house in stilettos...? I guess that's another thing, I honestly can't remember the last time anyone had on high heels in our house.

Comment

How many women do you have coming through your house in stilettos...? I guess that's another thing, I honestly can't remember the last time anyone had on high heels in our house.
                      More than I thought there might be. It happens when we have a mini gathering / party at our house and people who normally wear sensible shoes suddenly get dressed up and put on those high heels. To see and be seen.

Comment

How many women do you have coming through your house in stilettos...?.
                        I know, right. I feel like I need to go to one of these Kanban parties.

Comment

Do you not think animals pee, poop, and vomit outside? Clearly if the shoes are visibly soiled then it's a no go but I think people vastly overestimate how clean their floors truly are.
                          When people suggest that it is "cleaner", they really aren't concerned about the literal pathogenic load of their carpets and floor. It's just less icky, which admittedly is a partially subjective thing.

It's like toilet paper vs a bidet. I think the latter is cleaner, but from a health standpoint they're both obviously fine.

Comment

Originally posted by AR View Post

When people suggest that it is "cleaner", they really aren't concerned about the literal pathogenic load of their carpets and floor. It's just less icky, which admittedly is a partially subjective thing.

It's like toilet paper vs a bidet. I think the latter is cleaner, but from a health standpoint they're both obviously fine.
                            Now if we’re on the bidet topic, I hate using public restrooms these days…

Comment

Originally posted by Kamban View Post

More than I thought there might be. It happens when we have a mini gathering / party at our house and people who normally wear sensible shoes suddenly get dressed up and put on those high heels. To see and be seen.
                              If you're a shoes-off house, then do you have a party exception to that general rule?

Comment

Alaska is a no shoe kind of place. I believe Hawaii is as well. Here in Utah, shoes seem to be okay in most homes. But it's also rarely muddy here in this desert. Arizona was very similar as I recall.
                                Helping those who wear the white coat get a fair shake on Wall Street since 2011

Comment

Working...
                                X