No announcement yet.

Shoes in the house

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Definitely a cultural thing. I was raised in a clean shoes in the house culture but actually prefer the shoes off culture. I don’t insist on it with visitors but practice it personally

Comment

Grew up with no shoes ever in the house. I’ve had friends feel insulted that I might even suggest they take off their shoes. I pretty much let guests do what they want, as we have uniform, entire-house wood floors that are easy to clean after they leave.

People who wear shoes in the house, should wear shoes in their house, as your white socks get chocolatey from all the fine dirt and particles that get tracked all over…. But it doesn’t seem to bother them as much as it does me.

It’s definitely no contest when it comes to cleanliness though. And I don’t care about germs, COVID, etc….

Comment

I would be curious if there’s a geographical component, too. I don’t think I ran into a ‘shoes off’ household until I was well into my adult years.

Comment

Agree about the problems with making people remove their shoes. For some they are essential to pain control. And the safety issue should concern you if someone slips in a smooth floor and is injured. Booties with nonslip bottoms would be a safer alternative.

I have big feet and it hard to find booties that will fit over my shoes. For that reason, I have one pair of shoes I wear for procedures that I know will, just, fit into the booties at my place.

Comment

Originally posted by Jaqen Haghar MD View Post
            Grew up with no shoes ever in the house. I’ve had friends feel insulted that I might even suggest they take off their shoes. I pretty much let guests do what they want, as we have uniform, entire-house wood floors that are easy to clean after they leave.

People who wear shoes in the house, should wear shoes in their house, as your white socks get chocolatey from all the fine dirt and particles that get tracked all over…. But it doesn’t seem to bother them as much as it does me.

It’s definitely no contest when it comes to cleanliness though. And I don’t care about germs, COVID, etc….
            Well, no one is forcing you to wear white socks.

Comment

We don’t have carpet. We have house shoes but will frequently walk across the house w outside shoes on to grab something real quick. I see the concern about germs…however we don’t eat off the floor…
              I remember a party in medschool at a attending house, they had everyone take their shoes off. There was 50 pairs of shoes at the front door. Smelled like a gym locker. How do you no shoe people handle get to gethers

Comment

Originally posted by Savedfpdoc View Post
                I remember a party in medschool at a attending house, they had everyone take their shoes off. There was 50 pairs of shoes at the front door. Smelled like a gym locker.
                I would use this opportunity to score a nicer pair of shoes on the way out. You leave a pair, you take a pair.

Comment

Other than shoes in the house, we should have a poll of "do you shower in the morning or evening"?

Comment

Originally posted by CalMD View Post
                    Other than shoes in the house, we should have a poll of "do you shower in the morning or evening"?
                    Sometimes in the afternoon.

Comment

Shoes allowed. As above don't track in muddy or grassy shoes. Usually I'll swap out for flipflops in the house. And yeah, dogs.

Comment

Since I'm in a hotel, wondering do you no shoes folks wear them in hotels?

Comment

Asian Indian, life long no shoes in the house and unlikely to change. Spouse has indoor slippers due to some feet issues that never go out and the outside footwear are never worn in the house.

Comment

Originally posted by childay View Post
                            Even in a hotel I take my shoes off. Rarely keep the socks on but mostly it comes off too.

I try to stay in good chain hotels.
                            Last edited by Kamban; 04-15-2022, 08:09 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by childay View Post
                              Very much depends on the hotel.

Unless it’s a luxury hotel where I’m confident in housekeeping standards (and standards of other guests, to an extent), shoes are likely to stay on.

Best option is hotel slippers.

The problem is that the places that have those are the ones where you don’t have to worry about a nasty floor anyway.

Comment

OP here. Definitely a cultural and geographical preference it seems from all the replies.

We wear socks or are bare foot depending on weather and which part of the house it is. So, if someone enters our house with outside shoes on (who knows where they've been), it feels kind of gross. It's one thing if you live in the outdoors among nature, but if you live in a city or work in the hospital, you see all sorts of nasty things on street and floors. The idea of those things entering our house, bedroom, bathrooms terrify me.

I am guessing most people in the shoes on gang probably would not dare walk bare foot in a public restroom or hospital. That is what it feels like when someone else comes into our house with shoes on. Weird, I know, but that's how I feel! So, I suppose there is a mental component to it too.

As for the hotel question - We usually stay in Airbnb, many of which have no shoes allowed anyway (but I usually wear socks, which can be washed). For rare hotel stays, I'm usually in socks or slippers - except in bed. I make sure to shower before we leave. We enter clean(ish) and leave clean! The main goal is to keep outside crap outside, and not in our clean house.

Comment

Working...
                                X