• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

two points I’ll make

its not a Lordosis style poll if there’s not a typo

its not first class if you don’t turn left after boarding

Comment

Ok. Business is usually 3-4x and first class, if the plane has it, is more.

not worth it on a per hour basis. Yet. The older I get, the closer it will get to being with it. (Based on musculoskeletal reasons, not money)

I once paid for business because I got a good deal. When you buy a package d flight and hotel on Expedia you sometimes get a good deal on business. Pre COVID we got a good deal on business to Europe and economy plus back. Only about 1.5 x.

Now the new economy plus to Europe is a compromise. Recliners for less than 2x.

Comment

Like a lot of the people on here - I get upgraded due to status. I am loyal to one airline, even if the same flights cost slightly more. With family and business out of state, I always get at least to a mid-tier status. We also put every single expense on a credit card tied to that airline, so we always have a ton of miles banked, and some of those points also help you towards your status. I don't always get upgraded, though, maybe half the time. I've never PAID for first class - I don't think it's worth it on a domestic flight, the experience isn't that different from economy plus in my opinion. I get economy plus for free with my mid-level status and I get to board early so i always have room for my bag, etc. You just have to be loyal to one airline, and look at their status requirements. It becomes a bit of a game. My ex was a genius with airline miles; we always flew international first class on miles, upgrade certificates, etc.. I once slept 9 straight hours on a 14 hour flight from LAX to HKG, in a lie flat bed on Cathay Pacific - I can't remember how many miles that cost him, but it was absolutely worth it. The mental energy he spent keeping up with miles, status, etc. was a bit over the top though. In those days, I had higher level status and got more upgrades.

My brother used to be United Global Services - his job required a lot of international travel. The company regularly provided him paid, last minute ($$$$) first or business class to Asia multiple times a year, so he got their highest tier status for several years in a row. That's the one where they pick you up from the first class lounge in a Porsche Cayenne and drive you across the tarmac to your next flight, you never have to mingle with a normal person in the terminal. His status was so good he could upgrade himself, his wife, and his two snot nosed toddlers to first almost every single time without fail. The pandemic killed his travel business, so he no longer gets these benefits.

I'm flying this Thursday for a funeral 3/4 away across the country - oddly enough, a first class mileage ticket was 49,000 miles plus $11.00 in tax, buying coach was $704 - so I did the mileage first class ticket.

Comment

Originally posted by Lithium View Post
          This is an incredibly stupid question, but how do I get upgrades for first class? I am a silver medallion member for Delta and have a United Quest card, have a slew of points for other cards, but I’ve never figured out what I need to do to get complimentary upgrades.
          You have to fly more or spend more on your delta American express card, usually a combo of those 2. My husband is platinum ( travels for work) and almost always gets bumped to delta comfort but not often to first class. When we travel as a family he usually doesn't get bumped because they don't have 4 extra seats but it happens sometimes.

I don't see much point in first class for domestic travel but would pay for it if we ever do international travel again. NW around 2M I suspect.

Comment

Originally posted by jacoavlu View Post
            two points I’ll make

its not a Lordosis style poll if there’s not a typo

its not first class if you don’t turn left after boarding
            I promise i have more typos than Lordosis. I am a fan of his polls!

Comment

Originally posted by wideopenspaces View Post

You have to fly more or spend more on your delta American express card, usually a combo of those 2. My husband is platinum ( travels for work) and almost always gets bumped to delta comfort but not often to first class. When we travel as a family he usually doesn't get bumped because they don't have 4 extra seats but it happens sometimes.

I don't see much point in first class for domestic travel but would pay for it if we ever do international travel again. NW around 2M I suspect.
              Well that explains it I guess, I don’t have a Delta Amex card! Still working my way through 5/24. Not even sure how I got to be a Silver Medallion member.

Comment

I've flown first class maybe once in my life when the airline upgraded me for some reason. I couldn't see paying hundreds of dollars for a more comfortable chair for a few hours. I maybe willing to pay more for one of those cabins with a bed in it, you could presumably save vacation time by accomplishing some of your sleep in your flight in that scenario. I think that if I were flying first class, I'd be looking back at the coach passengers jealous how they were getting a better deal on the flight then I was.

Comment

I guess one of these days I should try to get a master’s degree on Flyer Talk trying to understand how these loyalty programs work, considering I have so many miles in all these FF programs and can’t figure out how to use them (really, really wish the asinine US COVID testing on reentry requirement would get dropped so I can travel internationally again). It looks like my silver medallion status will most likely expire since I don’t fly Delta much these days, as almost all my miles are through Chase and I otherwise have a ton of miles on Southwest and United.

Comment

Timely post, I just booked a business class ticket for the first time in my life. Used points, and oddly enough for the return flight business was less than coach. Only fly sporadically a couple times a year, so no upgrades coming my way.

Comment

if you travel internationally in my experience the re entry covid test is let’s just say not generally up to standard protocol. They don’t want to keep you where you’re at typically. It’s bad pub and no one is happy. Going through the motions. Fine with me.

Comment

I’ve got a NW < $1M but fly first class/business class sometimes. Depends on the cost difference. We don’t fly much and rarely abroad. We also have several littles. I don’t care how big the seat is, flying with toddlers is awful, so dropping extra cash isn’t worth it. If it’s just me, or me and the wife, I’ll check the prices.

Comment

Tough to generalize to all first class. Domestic First on some narrow body jets is just re-branded Business. I've been upgraded and it's nice but I can't imagine paying for it regularly.

The more difficult question for me is about a >10 hour flight across multiple time zones in a wide body jet where First means lay flat seats. I've done it once via upgrade and it was amazing. With dynamic ticket pricing, I've seen those tickets for anywhere from $1-2k more than premium economy, all the way to $15k for routes to Asia. I can't imagine spending that kind of money for a long time, but the former scenario seems pretty palatable after a few MM.

Comment

I’ve flown domestic first class a couple of times, and once when just the wife and I went to Hawaii. For the domestic flights, one time it was with the kids and another couple of times without. But all of those times we were checking a bag or two, and the cost differential between first and economy was barely more than the bag(s) would have cost. We also typically fly the shortest route and spend more money sometimes leaving and/or landing at a preferred time or making fewer connections or flying direct when possible. So I think those tickets are usually more anyway.
                            Last edited by MaxPower; 04-13-2022, 06:24 AM.

Comment

In our younger years, we always searched for the cheapest seat on the cheapest flight. The money we saved went into investments. The investments grew to the point where our accountant said go ahead and keep flying economy ‘cause your kids will be flying up front. He convinced me to loosen up.

We do fly up front, started around age 50, so now I search for the cheapest deal for the front of the plane. I flight hacked and flew my entire extended family in lie flat business class half way around the world at Christmas for 10k. Old habits die hard.

Comment

We have a four hour domestic flight coming up with a lap toddler. First class upgrade is $350/pp. Very tempted to upgrade.

NW >1m
                                Income >1m

Comment

Working...
                                X