Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it ok for 1/2 the family to fly bizz class while the other half goes to steerage?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• burritos
    replied
    Originally posted by pierre View Post

My 2 yo loves ribeye (and liverwurst).
    ************************. I'm jealous and I'm triggered.

Leave a comment:

• pierre
    replied
    Originally posted by CordMcNally View Post

Of course it is. I wouldn’t let my 16 month old order a tomahawk ribeye when we go out to eat but if I wanted one I’d go for it. I also poop my pants less than her so I’m more likely to by myself nicer clothes that I won’t grow out of in the next two months.
    But there still is some pants pooping?

My 2 yo loves ribeye (and liverwurst).

Leave a comment:

• JWeb
    replied
    I am sitting with my wife and all of my kids when we travel somewhere. Whether that's in first class, row 38, or in our minivan I don't know.

Leave a comment:

• Kamban
    replied
    Originally posted by AR View Post
    I don't think there is anything "wrong" with this per se, it just feels weird to me to go on a family trip and do this.

It's a bit different if one or two people in the party are offered upgrades. But to knowingly do it seems a bit weird to me. Not wrong, but weird. If I'm buying tickets, either everyone flies business/first class or no one does. .
    We as a family have always traveled together and endured hardships together or enjoyed the luxuries together. I would not dream of sitting up in the first class with my wife and leaving my daughter all alone in the coach section. If one upgrade is offered I would let my spouse sit up front ( happened one time with Qatar and premium economy) and I will sit in the rear with my daughter.

Leave a comment:

• Kamban
    replied
    Originally posted by burritos View Post
    Cause my son doesn't care, but my daughter has developed my wife's tastes and that pleases my wife. Happy wife, happy... ok whatever.
    If I were in a similar situation and had a daughter with "rich tastes" I would teach her the money lesson by paying out the son the difference in fare to use for whatever pleases him. Treat both of them equal financially.

If the daughter protests, ask her to come to the back to earn that extra income.
    Last edited by Kamban; 04-13-2022, 08:33 AM.

Leave a comment:

• CordMcNally
    replied
    Originally posted by burritos View Post

Your child would derive more benefit from that ribeye than you. I try to feed my kids steak as much as possible. My opinion. Not fact.
    There’s a difference between feeding a toddler a steak and letting her order a $75 ribeye. I have no problems with the former.

Leave a comment:

• burritos
    replied

Of course it is. I wouldn’t let my 16 month old order a tomahawk ribeye when we go out to eat but if I wanted one I’d go for it. I also poop my pants less than her so I’m more likely to by myself nicer clothes that I won’t grow out of in the next two months.
    Your child would derive more benefit from that ribeye than you. I try to feed my kids steak as much as possible. My opinion. Not fact.

Leave a comment:

• AR
    replied
    Originally posted by Turf Doc View Post

To me it's like, the parent might have a nice car but the kids get a beater. it's just the stage of life they're at. At some level i'm happy I've never flown first class, it'll be pretty cool when im able to swing it myself eventually. If I grew up flying first class and then couldn't because i was actually a poor med student, that would be a bummer
    Car is a better analogy. I'm sure most 16 year-olds would prefer a nice car to a beater.

I'm a quite a few years away from that, but I don't expect that I'll actually buy them a car when they are teens. They will probably have use of our family vehicles and we may purchase more if we have more drivers. But it won't really be their car. And which of the family vehicles they can use will depend on their driving skill and intended use. But most of the time it will end up being the beater. But any beater I purchase would be of sufficient quality that I myself would not have any issue driving it. So I doubt it will actually meet anyone's true definition of a "beater".

Leave a comment:

• AR
    replied

Well, she’s an animal. But finishing something typically isn’t a prerequisite most children entertain when they order.
    Well, I did say "more or less finish". I apply some discretion there.

In most cases, they don't necessarily have to finish it there, but they know they are going to be eating the leftovers later. I remind them of this when they are contemplating their orders and it tends to lead to more reasonable selections. As 16-month-olds aren't reading menus and ordering, this doesn't really apply to them.
    Last edited by AR; 04-11-2022, 10:16 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Turf Doc
    replied

Yeah, I think the difference is that with the food and clothes I know they either wouldn't care or would prefer the cheaper option. With the plane tickets, I think they would definitely enjoy and appreciate the difference of business/first class. So, I'd be denying them something they would want while partaking of it myself. That's very clearly not the case with the other examples mentioned.

But like I said, I don't think it's necessarily wrong. I would just personally feel weird doing it.
    To me it's like, the parent might have a nice car but the kids get a beater. it's just the stage of life they're at. At some level i'm happy I've never flown first class, it'll be pretty cool when im able to swing it myself eventually. If i grew up flying first class and then couldn't because i was actually a poor med student, that would be a bummer

Leave a comment:

• CordMcNally
    replied

That's not actually a conflict that comes up as most 16 month-olds would not prefer a tomahawk ribeye to their usual food. Nor could they eat it.

Now if you find a 16 month old that wants one and can more or less finish it, then you have a valid comparison.
    Well, she’s an animal. But finishing something typically isn’t a prerequisite most children entertain when they order.

Leave a comment:

• AR
    replied

That's not actually a conflict that comes up as most 16 month-olds would not prefer a tomahawk ribeye to their usual food. Nor could they eat it.

Now if you find a 16 month old that wants one and can more or less finish it, then you have a valid comparison.

Leave a comment:

• CordMcNally
    replied
    Why stop at worse airline seats? We could buy kids lower quality food, clothing, etc. Is that OK too?

Leave a comment:

• AR
    replied
    Originally posted by bovie View Post

100% okay for all of the above.

Kids and adults are just different, with different tastes and different levels of appreciation.

One dinner out at the “nice” restaurant where junior orders chicken tenders or comes home with the “nice” new clothes covered in mud and grass stains is all the proof you need. Not to mentioned they’ll grow out of them in six months anyway.

Don’t get me wrong, no problem with that at all and kids will, and should, be kids.

But spending the extra money on those things makes sense for a certain type of
    human—for a certain other type (i.e., the small
    version), not so much.
    Yeah, I think the difference is that with the food and clothes I know they either wouldn't care or would prefer the cheaper option. With the plane tickets, I think they would definitely enjoy and appreciate the difference of business/first class. So, I'd be denying them something they would want while partaking of it myself. That's very clearly not the case with the other examples mentioned.

But like I said, I don't think it's necessarily wrong. I would just personally feel weird doing it.

Leave a comment:

• bovie
    replied
    Why stop at worse airline seats? We could buy kids lower quality food, clothing, etc. Is that OK too? I guess I probably do that for some of those things, but somewhat unintentionally. My kids have fairly undeveloped palates and wouldn't eat fancier food. But I guess if they wanted what I was having, I wouldn't say no. Also you can't really compare kid and adult clothing, but they are all bought from the same general level of stores. But I'm quite sure they would enjoy business/first over coach.
    100% okay for all of the above.

Kids and adults are just different, with different tastes and different levels of appreciation.

One dinner out at the “nice” restaurant where junior orders chicken tenders or comes home with the “nice” new clothes covered in mud and grass stains is all the proof you need. Not to mentioned they’ll grow out of them in six months anyway.

Don’t get me wrong, no problem with that at all and kids will, and should, be kids.

But spending the extra money on those things makes sense for a certain type of
    human—for a certain other type (i.e., the small
    version), not so much.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X