PSA- Twitter and Musk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

https://www.engadget.com/twitter-elo...185307689.html

Musk's wealth won. Done deal. New rules. Unfortunately this will lead to "identity Musk attacks" rather than a focus on the policies. Open debate on policies would be helpful.
    Everyone is replaceable (employees). Definitely changes the media landscape. So much or the "news" gets started or not on Twitter. I wonder if it will actually become an open forum. The Jack Dorsey era is over.
    Last edited by Tim; 04-25-2022, 12:38 PM.

Comment

It'll be interesting if his first act of taking it private will be total removal of all guardrails -- and then see what happens to ad dollars and usage from the general population.

Comment

Originally posted by Tim View Post
        https://www.engadget.com/twitter-elo...185307689.html

Musk's wealth won. Done deal. New rules. Unfortunately this will lead to "identity Musk attacks" rather than a focus on the policies. Open debate on policies would be helpful.
        Everyone is replaceable (employees). Definitely changes the media landscape. So much or the "news" gets started or not on Twitter. I wonder if it will actually become an open forum. The Jack Dorsey era is over.
        the jack dorsey era has already been over for a while

Comment

Originally posted by StarTrekDoc View Post
          It'll be interesting if his first act of taking it private will be total removal of all guardrails -- and then see what happens to ad dollars and usage from the general population.
          I doubt it. They have to deal with their bot problem.

Comment

Originally posted by jacoavlu View Post

I doubt it. They have to deal with their bot problem.
            Bots and trolls are the bane of online discourse. And so far no one has found a completely satisfactory way to control them.

Comment

Originally posted by StarTrekDoc View Post
              This will not happen - when you remove terms of service, the most abhorrent people take over and it becomes a toxic wasteland - Popper's paradox.

Comment

Originally posted by xraygoggles View Post

This will not happen - when you remove terms of service, the most abhorrent people take over and it becomes a toxic wasteland - Popper's paradox.
                This is Elon musk.

That is absolutely not his MO. He didn't do that at Tesla nor Solar and did his own way at SpaceX.

He marches to his own beat for better or worse. I'd be surprised if he stays pat.

Comment

Originally posted by xraygoggles View Post

not only that but there have been several attempts already to create "free speech and open dialogue" social media. the results are predictable, the most abhorrent voices on the alt-right move in -- including actual Nazis.

see: Parler, Gab

and then, surprise, companies don't want to buy ads. the noisiest people in this "free speech" debate simply don't understand how business works. they want to have cake and eat it too.

all of that being said, shame on all of us for allowing a social media company to become so consequential.

Comment

Originally posted by MPMD View Post

not only that but there have been several attempts already to create "free speech and open dialogue" social media. the results are predictable, the most abhorrent voices on the alt-right move in -- including actual Nazis.
                    and the alt-left too, including actual communists. Both polar ends of the political spectrum are equally to blame.

Comment

Originally posted by HikingDO View Post

and the alt-left too, including actual communists. Both polar ends of the political spectrum are equally to blame.
                      And it's not just politics, either. It's the conspiracy theorists, and the alternative medicine/anti-vaccine brigades, and the racists, and the misogynists, and the religious lunatics, and the spammers and scammers, etc.

100% freedom of speech sounds great in theory, but in practice on unmoderated platforms bad speech drives out good speech. The sane people become tired/disgusted and leave, and the space quickly becomes the online equivalent of an insane asylum.

Comment

“The sane people become tired/disgusted and leave, and the space quickly becomes the online equivalent of an insane asylum.”

So it becomes like our current political climate?
                        Or insane policies and rioting or just the ruling class has a separate place to live?
                        Open for suggestions.

Comment

Twitter unmoderated —> Twitter overrun with nonsense from nut jobs —> Normal people stop using Twitter —> Effective Twitter suicide

Sounds like a net win to me.

Comment

Originally posted by bovie View Post
                            Twitter unmoderated —> Twitter overrun with nonsense from nut jobs —> Normal people stop using Twitter —> Effective Twitter suicide

So Facebook...

Comment

Originally posted by Lordosis View Post

So Facebook...
                              Rinse and repeat PRN.

Comment

Originally posted by bovie View Post

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xo1VInw-SKc
                                And one small voice no longer goes viral.
                                I longer are “likes” and such used for forming public opinions.
                                My question is, what are news organizations going to do? Actually, my understanding is that Twitter is widely adopted by a small subset of the general population and probably for a reason. High profile effective in getting a message or advocacy out. Not very useful for “friends and family”, normal people.
                                That might be a good thing to kill. Or it might be useful with letting the masses have an unbiased set of rules and let the garbage settle to the bottom never to be read.

Comment

Working...
                                X