Millennial Money med student budget living in NYC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Millennial Money med student budget living in NYC

How many specialties require a "research year"? Seems to be residency program specific.

Comment

Isn't research year when you dont match or when you are trying to match a difficult to match specialty like Derm?

Comment

Originally posted by Craigslist View Post
        Isn't research year when you dont match or when you are trying to match a difficult to match specialty like Derm?
        I think maybe pediatric surgery requires a research year? Or maybe used to?

Comment

Originally posted by CordMcNally View Post

I think maybe pediatric surgery requires a research year? Or maybe used to?
          That’s during training. No one cares what you did in med school unless maybe you got a PhD.

Comment

Originally posted by VentAlarm View Post

That’s during training. No one cares what you did in med school unless maybe you got a PhD.
            Oh, I see this was a med student and not a resident.

Yeah, I thought only MD/PhD programs have research years. Most people who don't match typically scramble into an undesirable position.

Comment

Originally posted by Craigslist View Post
              Nope. One ortho program has research year in PGY2. Ends up being a six year program.
              Not a year off to research. Many of the things like journal club, functions and CALL remain. I think the rotations are basically eliminated. Unpopular with residents for sure that basically view it as an additional year of cheap labor without the teaching burden on the program. What do they do, they matched?
              There is support and attendings providing guidance and support.
              This lady was in her research year. The stipend is paid. I am aware of another program in the same city that a research year was available during residency. Not sure it was mandatory.
              Last edited by Tim; 04-10-2022, 06:24 PM. Reason: This year PGY5 is double the size. Must have dropped it.

Comment

Somewhat strange: the hospital/specialty I worked at/in required the fellows to do a research project during their fellowship, but it wasn't a "research year". Mostly a way for the program to churn out papers on the cheap...

Comment

Originally posted by F0017S0 View Post
                  Somewhat strange: the hospital/specialty I worked at/in required the fellows to do a research project during their fellowship, but it wasn't a "research year". Mostly a way for the program to churn out papers on the cheap...
                  Not a research project by any means. That is common and actually in many programs, residency and fellowship.
                  https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/1673...dic%20surgeons.
                  A full year. She indicated she had completed 3 years and was in her fourth as research.

Comment

My guess she is doing a dual degree program, such as an MD/MPH, as she says she does research during the day and masters classes as night.

Inspirational story. While I hate that she is graduating with $400k debt, most likely if she enters pediatric oncology she will work in a setting that will be eligible for PSLF.

Comment

Originally posted by Anne View Post
                      My guess she is doing a dual degree program, such as an MD/MPH, as she says she does research during the day and masters classes as night.

Inspirational story. While I hate that she is graduating with $400k debt, most likely if she enters pediatric oncology she will work in a setting that will be eligible for PSLF.
                      There's this weird parabola where if you have so much debt it almost doesnt matter anymore because youre going to have to go for PSLF almost no matter what. Especially if youre interested in academics.

Comment

I think overcoming her debt will be easy compared to what she has already overcome.

Comment

Originally posted by Hatton View Post
                          I think overcoming her debt will be easy compared to what she has already overcome.
                          “but life has dealt me a great set of cards. ”
                          http://www.alexandracapellini.com/index.html
                          This young lady has “winner” stamped all over her. She has already won the game.

Comment

Originally posted by F0017S0 View Post
                            That actually entirely normal. I think that’s an ACGME requirement in many/most specialties that a research project be performed.

Several competitive specialties or programs encourage (read: require) extra year/years in research. I know the gen surg and neurosurg programs at my institution essentially require it. The only folks who don’t do it have essentially committed to private practice as not doing the year burns bridges and means lackluster rec letters (if any at all). They’re pretty open about this from day 1 though.

Comment

Working...
                            X