Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The problem is because of carve outs. Exceptions and special requirements. Name it, private businesses and individuals are specifically required to provide services to protected subsets.
    Selling a house? Your private property be careful which offer you accept.
    Running a bakery shop? Be careful who you choose as customers.
    Subsets get special protections. That is the slippery slope we as a country are on. Unintended consequences. Every one is not equal by law. Some are special. The special classification and requirements are potentially used to advantage, rather than as protection.
    These rules apply to private individuals and businesses too.

Comment

Lol. The last thing that comes to mind when I think of free speech is Elon Musk - unless you mean "Rules for thee - but not for me"

Elon has a history of silencing whistleblowers, firing workers, and filing lawsuits against critics. Twitter is likely just another ego-satiating endeavor for him, nothing more.

https://www.businessinsider.com/free...critics-2022-3
      https://www.bloomberg.com/news/featu...r-martin-tripp
      https://www.cnbc.com/2022/03/15/tesl...n-youtube.html

Comment

Originally posted by xraygoggles View Post
        Lol. The last thing that comes to mind when I think of free speech is Elon Musk - unless you mean "Rules for thee - but not for me"

Elon has a history of silencing whistleblowers, firing workers, and filing lawsuits against critics. Twitter is likely just another ego-satiating endeavor for him, nothing more.

https://www.businessinsider.com/free...critics-2022-3
        https://www.bloomberg.com/news/featu...r-martin-tripp
        https://www.cnbc.com/2022/03/15/tesl...n-youtube.html
        You might be correct. I honestly don’t know a lot about Elon. He certainly is intelligent, innovative and successful but it is difficult to find unbiased material about him.

I have heard some interviews and he seems like a smart dude, but a little autistic perhaps? Don’t know for sure.

I don’t know as much about him as a lot of the people here so it is a fair criticism.

I do miss the classically liberal ethos that values free speech even if it is speech that is deplorable or disagreeable.

I have never done twitter.

I do think it is a public notice board that many people use.

Anyhow, I apologize if my post was inaccurate.

I’m a simple doc.

Glad this forum allows us to discuss and debate (civil discussions ).

Seems like posts are more often being allowed to run and people are banned less frequently, and this i appreciate.

Comment

Originally posted by Tangler View Post

I do miss the classically liberal ethos that values free speech even if it is speech that is deplorable or disagreeable.
          Is WCI moderating this board trampling your free speech rights?

Comment

Originally posted by AR View Post

Is WCI moderating this board trampling your free speech rights?
            Banning me twice, without warning, for what i consider minor political discussion.

This did occur but perhaps you missed that.

Seems better now is what i am saying.

It was so unfair that some moderators who felt sympathetic to me and my plight threatened to quit…….

Anyway, this happened.

Just so you know.

Comment

I don’t bring it up or discuss it often but since you specifically asked, there it is.

WCI was not the person who pulled the trigger btw.

Comment

I had no idea that happened. Still curious if you feel your "free speech" rights are being violated here (by anyone), but I can understand if you don't want to catch another ban by engaging in this discussion.

Comment

I had no idea that happened. Still curious if you feel your "free speech" rights are being violated here (by anyone), but I can understand if you don't want to catch another ban by engaging in this discussion.
                  Before, saying some minor things could get a ban.

There was a significant bias IMO.

Much better now. Much more tolerant of discussion.

I very much value this forum, no grudge or ill will.

No hard feelings.

Let us leave it at that.
                  Last edited by Tangler; 04-06-2022, 09:24 PM.

Comment

Much better. Much more tolerant of discussion.

I very much value this forum, no grudge or ill will.

Before saying some minor things could get a ban.

Much less so now.

Let us leave it at that.
                    That's fine. I am curious about a couple of other things, but not that curious.

I will say that if you think this place is more tolerant than twitter, you don't really know twitter (which it sounds like you readily admit). This forum may be more tolerant with respect to things you personally want to say or discuss, but there is tons of profanity, nudity, etc. on twitter that would be banned here in a fraction of a second. I'm not saying that is a good or bad thing, but it is a thing.
                    Last edited by AR; 04-06-2022, 08:28 PM.

Comment

That's fine. I am curious about a couple of other things, but not that curious.

I will say that if you think this place is more tolerant than twitter, you don't really know twitter (which sounds like you readily admit). This forum may be more tolerant with respect to things you personally want to say or discuss, but there is tons of profanity, nudity, etc. on twitter that would be banned here in a fraction of a second. I'm not saying that is a good or bad thing, but it is a thing.
                      I have zero desire to use twitter.

Zero need for profanity or nudity in a forum.

Appreciate the ability to discuss disagreements in a civil way.

My understanding is that Trump is still banned and the True story about Hunter Biden was banned and both of those twitter bans strike me as political bias.

I have no love for Trump and hope he goes away and leaves politics btw.

But I don’t think he should be banned from “speaking.”

Although, he probably would have benefited from speaking less and listening more.

Comment

I have zero desire to use twitter.

I get that you don't use twitter, but it seems weird to have such strong opinions about something that you admittedly have such little firsthand knowledge of. I suspect if you spent time there you would find there is far more latitude to post than you imagine. But I guess we will never know. If you are just reading news reporting about twitter, you obviously hear about the most outliar, sensational, click-bait stuff.

Zero need for profanity or nudity in a forum.
                        Me neither, but the overall freedom of a forum has little to nothing to do with your personal needs. Or mine.

Comment

You might be correct. I honestly don’t know a lot about Elon. He certainly is intelligent, innovative and successful but it is difficult to find unbiased material about him.

I have heard some interviews and he seems like a smart dude, but a little autistic perhaps? Don’t know for sure.

I don’t know as much about him as a lot of the people here so it is a fair criticism.

I have never done twitter.

I do think it is a public notice board that many people use.

Anyhow, I apologize if my post was inaccurate.

I’m a simple doc.

Glad this forum allows us to discuss and debate (civil discussions ).

Seems like posts are more often being allowed to run and people are banned less frequently, and this i appreciate.
                          I’m not a musk acolyte by any stretch of the imagination, but I do know that he has Asperger’s. This is the closest thing I have to any social media and I have no need for celebrity, but I watch SNL regularly (I’m a sucker for weekend update). He hosted a few months back and talked about having Asperger’s.

Comment

You seem like you enjoy a an argument.

NY times recently reported that it turns out the Hunter Biden story was true and twitter said it was Russian propaganda and banned it.

I Personally think a forum with a huge audience and a virtual monopoly should not discriminate based on political view.

Do you think twitter is unbiased politically?

I am sorry for the disagreement, I don’t really want to argue with you.

No i don’t use twitter

However , I don’t think I need to read a source or use a source to think it should not ban people for politics they disagree with.

I would not be in favor of any bans for any political view in any place where people discuss stuff.

Perhaps it is pointless for me to say:

Not a fan of banning left right or center.

Let them speak.

Then tell people why they are wrong.
                            Last edited by Tangler; 04-07-2022, 02:26 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by VentAlarm View Post

I’m not a musk acolyte by any stretch of the imagination, but I do know that he has Asperger’s. This is the closest thing I have to any social media and I have no need for celebrity, but I watch SNL regularly (I’m a sucker for weekend update). He hosted a few months back and talked about having Asperger’s.
                              Makes sense!

Comment

NY times recently reported that it turns out the Hunter Biden story was true and twitter said it was Russian propaganda and banned it.
                                It would take forever to unpack just this. Are you sure you aren't talking about the NY post story (and not Times; I guess they reported on it later if that's what you mean)? What does "Hunter Biden story was true" even mean? Do you have any idea of the volume of stuff that has been written about that dude and his laptop? What was true? All of it?

Let's just say that your view of this whole incident is not exactly unbiased. And you could learn a lot about it from actually reading twitter! In fact the initial NY post reporting can easily be accessed just by looking at links on twitter. Of course there are other places too if twitter isn't for you.

Comment

Working...
                                X