This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by VentAlarm View Post
    Yea. I read a couple articles about this saying it had to do with the Babylon bee thing.

When calling for murder is acceptable, but a joke about someone transgender is reason for banning, I think it’s clear that ideologues have taken over. It seems like Musk is a big proponent of free speech. Kind of awesome to see that sort of power move.

https://notthebee.com/article/the-be...g-in-a-hearse-
    Maybe Musk can save the cesspool that is Twitter. It can’t get much worse.

Comment

Originally posted by HikingDO View Post

I know. I think your sarcasm meter is not on tonight.
      I don't think it has ever worked properly. It's a chronic problem for me.

Comment

Good for Elon. Free speech! Nice!

Hope the pendulum on this woke madness is swinging back the other way.

Finally looks like people have figured out that defunding the police was foolish.

Perhaps they will re-discover that banning free speech is not consistent with a classically liberal ethos.

Comment

Originally posted by Tangler View Post
          Good for Elon. Free speech! Nice!

Hope the pendulum on this woke madness is swinging back the other way.

Finally looks like people have figured out that defunding the police was foolish.

Perhaps they will re-discover that banning free speech is not consistent with a classically liberal ethos.
          This will not be an easy task. Maybe Elon will come up with a policy gyroscope. Always straight up and impartial.

Comment

I dont think he bought this much stock to make money, because obviously he doesn't need it. But I dont think he bought because he thought he was going to lose money either. Having a big financial stake in the biggest speech platform in the world may be priceless.

Comment

Originally posted by Tangler View Post

Progressives are all for free speech, as long as you agree with what they think.

Comment

Progressives are all for free speech, as long as you agree with what they think.
                Just like to point out the definition of Progressives has been hijacked. Also Conservative has been hijacked or painted as such.
                That is the nature of identity politics, all or none.

Comment

Is it free speech or defamation to call someone a pedophile on Twitter?

Comment

Originally posted by Sampter View Post
                    the two are not mutually exclusive

Comment

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-50695593.amp
                      Specifically to your question, the court verdict was No.
                      I personally don’t think Elon had any business getting involved with that cave thing. So the question remains, even if he was found guilty, should anyone else besides the court silence him?

Comment

Originally posted by Tim View Post
                        https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-50695593.amp
                        Specifically to your question, the court verdict was No.
                        I personally don’t think Elon had any business getting involved with that cave thing. So the question remains, even if he was found guilty, should anyone else besides the court silence him?

Agree with you, just thought it was funny.

Comment

Oh, you mean like conservatives are all for businesses making decisions about how they want to operate, until they don't like those decisions.

Progressives (and I hope everyone else) actually are for constitutionally protected freedom of speech. Whether twitter lets you post something has nothing to do with that.

Comment

Agree with you, just thought it was funny.
                            Elon has what I call “loose cannon” tendencies .
                            Not all good and some people get hurt. I would have more respect if now he voluntarily apologized and provided something to the guy. He did rescue some kids from a bad situation. Not for fame and fortune.

Comment

Originally posted by AR View Post

Oh, you mean like conservatives are all for businesses making decisions about how they want to operate, until they don't like those decisions.

Progressives (and I hope everyone else) actually are for constitutionally protected freedom of speech. Whether twitter lets you post something has nothing to do with that.
                              Let’s try to avoid the left/right debate lest our esteemed moderators shut the thread down prematurely.

I think both sides now engage in cancel culture to the detriment to society. Read The Coddling of The American Mind if you haven’t already - worth your time.

I have mixed feelings about the twitter thing. On the on hand, it is a private company. On the other hand, it has become the de facto communication platform for a large swathe of society. Similarly, if an internet provider decided to not service a subset of their population because of their political or religious beliefs, it would be problematic.

Comment

Originally posted by VentAlarm View Post

Let’s try to avoid the left/right debate lest our esteemed moderators shut the thread down prematurely.
                                I guess you must have missed Hiking's post or you would have said this earlier.

I have mixed feelings about the twitter thing. On the on hand, it is a private company. On the other hand, it has become the de facto communication platform for a large swathe of society. Similarly, if an internet provider decided to not service a subset of their population because of their political or religious beliefs, it would be problematic.
                                That is a valid of concern but it is most definitely not a 1st amendment "free speech" issue which you and others seem to be repeatedly saying. Maybe you've got some 14th amendment issues or violations of other laws. That is different.

Comment

Working...
                                X