This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Elon Musk Buys Twitter

On April 4th it was revealed that Elon Musk had purchased a 9.2% stake in Twitter, making him the largest shareholder. This puts him at 4x the shares of the next-largest holder, founder Jack Dorsey. Twitter stock shot up >25% Monday on the news.

CEO Parag Agrawal announced today that Elon will be taking a board position. I predict this will have major implications for the world. Twitter is not really a huge tech company by market cap, but it has MASSIVE influence as the world-wide de facto public square.

The background behind this is crazy:
    https://twitter.com/SethDillon/statu...25246967660547

When the Babylon Bee was banned two weeks ago, Elon reached out to them and jokingly said he may have to buy Twitter. He then put out his Twitter poll last week asking if Free Speech was respected on Twitter.

I think saying he bought Twitter is a little premature but it sounds like he may want an even bigger stake.

I also think people saying he bought these shares because of a Twitter poll are a little disingenuous as it seems the poll came after his decision to buy. Just like selling some of his TSLA stock before, the decision was already made.

Comment

Would be interesting if the Donald bought 10% of Twitter; they might have to give him his account back…

Comment

itll be interesting to see if that kid that tracks all elons flights gets cancelled lol

Comment

Originally posted by F0017S0 View Post
          Would be interesting if the Donald bought 10% of Twitter; they might have to give him his account back…
          Unfortunately Donald doesn't have enough lying around to buy 10% of twitter, he doesn't even have a high enough networth for 10% of twitter

Comment

Originally posted by Craigslist View Post

Unfortunately Donald doesn't have enough lying around to buy 10% of twitter, he doesn't even have a high enough networth for 10% of twitter
            Twitter’s value is estimated to be $13.3 billion, and Trump’s net worth is estimated to be $2.5 billion, so he actually could buy almost 20% of it if he liquidated everything.

Comment

Originally posted by jacoavlu View Post
              itll be interesting to see if that kid that tracks all elons flights gets cancelled lol
              it would be the ultimate demonstration of fu money. I think he offered the kid like $5k at one point to shut it down. So instead buy a seat on the board.

(no I don’t think elon would do this)

Comment

Originally posted by HikingDO View Post

Twitter’s value is estimated to be $13.3 billion, and Trump’s net worth is estimated to be $2.5 billion, so he actually could buy almost 20% of it if he liquidated everything.
                That estimate is questionable.

Comment

lol yeah I don’t think don has the liquidity

Comment

It sure as heck would be funny to see the Donald and Elon on the Twitter board at the same time…

Comment

https://news.yahoo.com/twitter-moves...hssrp_catchall

Passive investment is one thing, a board seat is only taken if there is a desire to change the business. Elon is very capable of impacting change.
                      https://edition.cnn.com/2022/04/05/t...ory/index.html
                      There will be change. Most likely the inconsistencies that have shutdown opposing views.

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news...may-have-been/
                      "Mr. Dillon said the Tesla CEO contacted the conservative Christian humor site shortly after Twitter locked out its account on March 20 over a satirical tweet naming Dr. Rachel Levine its “Man of the Year,” and raised the possibility of buying the tech platform."
                      My guess is BabylonBee gets it's account back pretty quickly too. Make no mistake, employees want to keep their jobs.
                      "Still, it's unclear what Musk's relationship with Agrawal is like.In December, Musk tweeted a meme that equated Agrawal to former Soviet leader Joseph Stalin."

I don't think he is in this for the money, I think he put his money where is mouth is and will change Twitter's path from within. And probably profit as well.
                      The marketing skills will benefit Twitter. My guess is Elon is going to walk softly but carry the biggest stick on the Board and in the company. Employees don't double talk a board member with the clout of Musk. Agrawal completely changed his tune from when he took over. Needs to change the mission in order to survive. He has a new boss.

Comment

Originally posted by AR View Post

That estimate is questionable.
                        The Twitter estimate? Yep, I agree.

Comment

The Twitter estimate? Yep, I agree.
                          I bolded the part I was referring to in order to avoid confusion.

Comment

Originally posted by AR View Post

I bolded the part I was referring to in order to avoid confusion.
                            I know. I think your sarcasm meter is not on tonight.

Comment

Yea. I read a couple articles about this saying it had to do with the Babylon bee thing.

When calling for murder is acceptable, but a joke about someone transgender is reason for banning, I think it’s clear that ideologues have taken over. It seems like Musk is a big proponent of free speech. Kind of awesome to see that sort of power move.

https://notthebee.com/article/the-be...g-in-a-hearse-

Comment

Working...
                              X