Poll: outpatient docs & call

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Poll: outpatient docs & call

Outpatient docs, how many mandated call shifts do you have in your contract per month?
    44.83%
    1-3
    20.69%
    4-6
    13.79%
    7-9
    3.45%
    10-12
    10.34%
    13+
    6.90%

It’s not in my contract, we just split non paid free slave labor call with the other physicians and midlevels who are currently working in our clinic.

Comment

It is 100% insane to take any call unless PKTY or in a setup that you are paid to take call.

That is the biggest strength of being in private practice... you avoid the call that hospital employ docs usually have to take.

Comment

Ours is just phone call. Mostly just dumb stuff. ER triage and reassuring parents.

We do one evening a month and 1 weekend a quarter.

Comment

We cover the inpatient unit after 4:30pm during the work week and see new admits on the weekend 2 weeks per year, a week at a time. It's usually very little work but I'm always happy when it's over!

Comment

We don't have any pure OP docs - everyone works the unit. We each take call one night a week which is light, and 1 weekend per month which is busy. The nights themselves are light, which is good, because they're not actually paid extra. However we only work four days a week and for me that is better than a few extra bucks.

Comment

PP ortho. Call is split evenly by all partners under the age of 60. At 60 you can opt out.

We have about 17-20 people who take call. So 1-2 times a month weekday and one weekend every few months.

Comment

PP - Op , I take almost all calls myself , except when on vacation. I haven't had a phone call after hours in 2 months, so it not so bad.

Comment

Originally posted by FIREshrink View Post
                  We don't have any pure OP docs - everyone works the unit. We each take call one night a week which is light, and 1 weekend per month which is busy. The nights themselves are light, which is good, because they're not actually paid extra. However we only work four days a week and for me that is better than a few extra bucks.
                  One weekend per month is a lot of call.
                  Currently took job outpatient job with zero call.
                  Couldn't be happier. Nothing more soul draining that call where you deal for days with anticipating it, then do the call, then being tired all week because you worked 14 days straight.
                  Call is one of strongest factors for burnout in my opinion. Take care of your physical and mental health people. Spend time with family and friends.

Comment

Originally posted by resident_1 View Post

One weekend per month is a lot of call.
                    Currently took job outpatient job with zero call.
                    Couldn't be happier. Nothing more soul draining that call where you deal for days with anticipating it, then do the call, then being tired all week because you worked 14 days straight.
                    Call is one of strongest factors for burnout in my opinion. Take care of your physical and mental health people. Spend time with family and friends.
                    Because we work four days a week it's more like 13 out of 14 days. Bit different. Years ago we worked the weekend alone, could be pretty brutal seeing 20+ patients each day. Now we have locums help the weekends are like 4-6 hours , pretty glorious. I can make a kid's game, or go for a run, I've even done a 5k.

Comment

100% call. Take my own call except when I go on vacation.

I get a call from a patient once a month. I had to go into the hospital to see MY patient recently, after almost 6 months.

Comment

Because we work four days a week it's more like 13 out of 14 days. Bit different. Years ago we worked the weekend alone, could be pretty brutal seeing 20+ patients each day. Now we have locums help the weekends are like 4-6 hours , pretty glorious. I can make a kid's game, or go for a run, I've even done a 5k.
                        "I can make a kids game". Why even have to put yourself in a position where you need to worry about this? There are plenty of psychiatry jobs with no call.

Comment

Originally posted by resident_1 View Post

"I can make a kids game". Why even have to put yourself in a position where you need to worry about this? There are plenty of psychiatry jobs with no call.
                          Very few inpatient jobs have no call. I like inpatient. I'm willing to do the call. Just like why does an EM doc work in a big city with penetrating trauma, there are lots of jobs where all you do is stitch up little wounds and do strokes and MIs and COVID. Because that's what he likes to do.

Call isn't everything. Overall my job has been very good to me. I make in the 90%ile++ for psych. I work four days a week. I get eight weeks of vacation. I get 10% toward retirement. My health care is really cheap. I run my department and my service line for the organization so I have a lot of influence and control. I love my patients and work with mostly like-minded people who really care for their patients and for an organization which really cares for its communities.

The call is very minor in the scheme of things.

Comment

Large outpatient FM/IM group. Phone only call, about 5 or 6 per year. There is ~70 docs in the group. We utilize two layers/barriers prior to you being called (an automated system, a med refills line, then RNs who triage everything else that gets through).

About 4 to 6 calls an evening which normally come in around that 5-7pm range. Mixture of stat or critical results with a couple of calls that the RN didn't exactly know how to manage.

Much better than my prior job where it was 1 in 4 weeks.

Comment

Very few inpatient jobs have no call. I like inpatient. I'm willing to do the call. Just like why does an EM doc work in a big city with penetrating trauma, there are lots of jobs where all you do is stitch up little wounds and do strokes and MIs and COVID. Because that's what he likes to do.

Call isn't everything. Overall my job has been very good to me. I make in the 90%ile++ for psych. I work four days a week. I get eight weeks of vacation. I get 10% toward retirement. My health care is really cheap. I run my department and my service line for the organization so I have a lot of influence and control. I love my patients and work with mostly like-minded people who really care for their patients and for an organization which really cares for its communities.

The call is very minor in the scheme of things.
                              Agree. My last job similar pay was more like the Q3 call with 20+ on weekend, which sucked
                              Sort of miss inpt work and making a lot less in outpt but no call is nice..

Comment

Working...
                              X