No announcement yet.

Guided vacation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hope to use one of them these days. Planning has become a hassle.

Comment

Originally posted by Kamban View Post
      Hope to use one of them these days. Planning has become a hassle.
      Note to self: Might let that wonderful daughter pick out a father-daughter trip. Face it, that college application and freshman COVID experience was depressing (for lack of a better word). Just go along for the ride. Unique experience.

Comment

Originally posted by Tim View Post

here is too much food offered and too much time spent sitting down to a meal when we could be sightseeing.”

You will not be grabbing a sandwich and drink and getting back on a bus.
        I know some people go on tours just for the food, putting sightseeing lower down in the order. But for me, the main object of travel is to see, explore and interact with locals. Food is not much of a concern. A decent breakfast, sandwich for lunch and a dinner when all the sightseeing is done is my cup of tea. I get fidgety if the lunch takes too long or the rest of the group wants to hang on and on savoring the food while time ticks steadily.

As long as vegetarian options are available, food is not our primary concern. Any of these tour companies have options for vegetarians?

Comment

Note to self: Might let that wonderful daughter pick out a father-daughter trip. Face it, that college application and freshman COVID experience was depressing (for lack of a better word). Just go along for the ride. Unique experience.
          Do it! That will give both of you memories that will last a lifetime. You won't regret it.

Comment

As long as vegetarian options are available, food is not our primary concern. Any of these tour companies have options for vegetarians?
            I think most of them can make arrangements for vegetarians; you just have to let them know about your needs in advance.

Comment

I know some people go on tours just for the food, putting sightseeing lower down in the order. But for me, the main object of travel is to see, explore and interact with locals. Food is not much of a concern. A decent breakfast, sandwich for lunch and a dinner when all the sightseeing is done is my cup of tea. I get fidgety if the lunch takes too long or the rest of the group wants to hang on and on savoring the food while time ticks steadily.

This is more for your daughter was the point. Just saying. Her experiences aren't yours. With a gift, it's the thought that counts. I think your food preferences are a very reasonable requirement.

Comment

Side note: travel plans are part of parenting. Much is discussed about savings and teaching kids about value purchases. Travel is spending, pure and simple. The high school until financial independence is a window for opportunity. Both from an experience standpoint and financial standpoint. Just because you can afford it doesn’t mean you should do it. A luxury trip can teach your kids what is possible when they achieve goals. I personally don’t suggest a steady diet of high end. They develop spending habits from you.

Comment

Side note: travel plans are part of parenting. Much is discussed about savings and teaching kids about value purchases. Travel is spending, pure and simple. The high school until financial independence is a window for opportunity. Both from an experience standpoint and financial standpoint. Just because you can afford it doesn’t mean you should do it. A luxury trip can teach your kids what is possible when they achieve goals. I personally don’t suggest a steady diet of high end. They develop spending habits from you.
                  Wonder whether children develop spending habits more from day to day lifestyle or luxury travel. Agree framing splurges will be important.

Comment

Originally posted by childay View Post
                    Wonder whether children develop spending habits more from day to day lifestyle or luxury travel. Agree framing splurges will be important.
                    A little bit of skydiving, parachuting, parasailing, swimming with the sharks, bungee jumping, zip lining and ballooning never hurt anyone. Until you grow older and realize how all those “waivers” are there for a reason.
                    Yep, probably more “certifications” required of a traveling fair or circus. I wonder where my kids got the idea that everything is “worth it”?
                    Guilty. I expect my kids learned a lot of stupid things from me. At least they had a balanced experience. Mom usually took a pass.

Comment

A little bit of skydiving, parachuting, parasailing, swimming with the sharks, bungee jumping, zip lining and ballooning never hurt anyone. Until you grow older and realize how all those “waivers” are there for a reason.
                      I miss the days when I was young enough to actually believe that all those terrible things mentioned in the waivers could never actually happen to ME. (Fortunately I got lucky - no shark bites to date, no ballooning accidents, and my tour of White Island was several years prior to the eruption in 2019 that parboiled all those poor tourists.)

I now worry that a few more recent minor health scares are going to prompt me to be overcautious in the future. Still, there are lots of great things to see even if I do find myself sticking to the less remote and more First World destinations in the future. Knock on wood, my traveling days will only be over when they plant me in the ground!

Comment

Originally posted by artemis View Post

I miss the days when I was young enough to actually believe that all those terrible things mentioned in the waivers could never actually happen to ME. (Fortunately I got lucky - no shark bites to date, no ballooning accidents, and my tour of White Island was several years prior to the eruption in 2019 that parboiled all those poor tourists.)

I now worry that a few more recent minor health scares are going to prompt me to be overcautious in the future. Still, there are lots of great things to see even if I do find myself sticking to the less remote and more First World destinations in the future. Knock on wood, my traveling days will only be over when they plant me in the ground!
                        A nice toy for you or anyone with a super yacht.
                        https://youtu.be/UED5dko-YC4
                        Richard Branson knows how to “adventure”. That dude is crazy.

Comment

Working...
                        X