Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Friend is an attending on service at an esteemed academic institution...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Friend is an attending on service at an esteemed academic institution...

Senior resident on service said that his girlfriend was in town this weekend so requested that he only round on three patients and asked my friend to cover the rest of the patients. WTF? Is this acceptable in this day and age?

He’s a senior resident, which means he probably already has a job lined up somewhere. It’s not acceptable, but if you have one foot out the door anyway I can understand why he’d ask. Your friend was lucky he didn’t just call out sick.

Comment

Over the past 5? years I am repeatedly amazed at the requests for coverage from residents who are moonlighting. They send cringe worthy group emails with frivolous reasons asking to get out of shifts they signed up for. Personally I would prefer a lie that at least sounded unexpected and urgent.

Comment

With hours restrictions in place there really should be a recognition that moonlighting is not kosher and if done no swapping of shifts or coverage. Even if position lined up, it's a matter of a quick email to the future employer on the ethics of said partner.

Really for weekend rounding on noncritical patients...not too much an issue. Sounds like he has some ethical on rounding on at least three patients which sounded like needing some active issues.

Comment

Wow I have senioritis as bad as anyone, but I could never imagine myself or anyone in my program making a request like that.

Comment

That takes some cojones. Pretty unprofessional and a good way to burn bridges.

Comment

He better get rid of those cojones asap if he wants to stay at that esteemed academic institution...

Comment

That took me a minute...hard not to be the grumpy old guy saying "kids these days...."

Comment

Originally posted by burritos View Post
                  Senior resident on service said that his girlfriend was in town this weekend so requested that he only round on three patients and asked my friend to cover the rest of the patients. WTF? Is this acceptable in this day and age?
                  So, what did your friend say?

Comment

Wait. He asked the attending to cover? I’ve swapped around shifts for various reasons, but always arranged coverage.

Comment

When i was a single guy in residency, I hated everyone with kids and fiances because of the BS people like OPs post would do.

Comment

Is it true that “esteemed academic program” residents show less effort/cary less patients than “regular program residents?

Comment

I’m old and trained 30 years ago. One poor resident friend worked out her 28 hour shift while she had abdominal pain. The next day at noon, after sign out, she walked down to the ER and was admitted with appendicitis. We were tough ladies!

Comment

Originally posted by RocDoc View Post
                            I’m old and trained 30 years ago. One poor resident friend worked out her 28 hour shift while she had abdominal pain. The next day at noon, after sign out, she walked down to the ER and was admitted with appendicitis. We were tough ladies!
                            Worked through a kidney stone in training.

Comment

When I was a medical student on my surgery rotation the senior resident had appendicitis. Rounds were held in his hospital room per his request.

Unrelated other residents would always be hanging around the residents lounge studying or working on projects and presentations during their days off.

I learned quickly that the surgeon life was not for me.

As for the OP I think I read it wrong. The resident asked the attending to pick up his slack? I really hope your friend said no thanks.

Comment

Working...
                              X