No announcement yet.

Changing World Order

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vietnam and the civil rights movement caused some pretty significant polarization. I can't believe we made it through, but here we are.

Comment

Originally posted by Hank View Post
      I just don’t understand the cult of personality around Ray Dalio.
      I read Principles and thought...meh?

Comment

Agree, cool video. Some basic insights are there, but largely regurgitated from other, more academically minded books and articles in a simplistic way that is seen as more digestable by the general public. Nothing wrong with that.

All I took out of this, is the analogy of America to a late middle age individual who seeks to improve one's "vitals", i.e. weight, blood pressure, aerobic capacity, etc. And if this is your average American as a representative of where USA is on the course of imperial decline, then I am deeply pessimistic. Very, very few people despite best intentions are able to loose weight, lower their bp and cholesterol, exercise regularly, etc. And our political and social system is deeply divided and is not functioning. So I guess prepare a plan B, and if necessary perhaps a plan C and D.

Plan B -- have a retreat in the country away from big cities where most of the mayhem will happen. Have some bullion for barter, backup power, access to potable water and build a community around you. I wouldn't go so far as to build up huge reserves of canned goods and ammo (I am NOT a prepper), but if you have a "good" community around you, some will. If SHTF in the worst way possible, then a second passport where you can get away from it all for several years if necessary, say in the Caribbean (St. Kitts, St. Lucia, Dominica all have citizenship by investment, Cayman Islands have a decent residency by investment) and your net worth allows (mid 6 figures) is a good plan C. Plan D is if your net worth is in the mid-7 figures or above, where you might have to renounce your US citizenship, say when the pitchforks are on the horizon and will try to reach you (albeit remotely) even on the islands, and prepping for that may be too much work at this point. That's probably where the Russian oligarchs are at (like Chelsea owner Abramovich). I find it really hard, but not impossible, to envision a scenario where US citizens would reach that point.

Comment

I found it to be an insightful video and having read his books as well I think the information is important for more people to realize, both the average citizen and even moreso people making policy decision. The policy decisions for the past few decades, if not more, have led us in a downward spiral which we currently find ourselves in. It is likely the American empire is weakening just as many others have throughout history. It's nothing new, but I think this information was less readily available to public in past changes to the world order.

Comment

Originally posted by Hatton View Post
            The video is well done. So I guess Putin is Alaric.
            No he’s not
            even China is not Alaric
            ************************ even USSR wasn’t in the heyday of Cold War
            USA was the Alaric if British were the Roman Empire post ww2

Comment

Originally posted by NewRad123 View Post
              I found it to be an insightful video and having read his books as well I think the information is important for more people to realize, both the average citizen and even moreso people making policy decision. The policy decisions for the past few decades, if not more, have led us in a downward spiral which we currently find ourselves in. It is likely the American empire is weakening just as many others have throughout history. It's nothing new, but I think this information was less readily available to public in past changes to the world order.
              There is a fundamental difference there is no direct invasion threat to US homeland and we still have the largest military by far

Comment

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/ray-d...190836509.html

Just noted the recent PR tour was based upon Ray’s most recent book. Might be a connection.
                https://www.simonandschuster.com/aut...alio/527899566

Comment

He isn't nicknamed Mr. Doomsday for nothing. Even a broken clock is right twice a day. A better nickname might be Mr. Chicken Little, but Michael Kitces has already claimed that title.

Comment

Originally posted by spiritrider View Post
                    He isn't nicknamed Mr. Doomsday for nothing. Even a broken clock is right twice a day.
                    A hedge fund sells based on fear as well as alpha. Ray is a very good salesman and manager. He never wrote code in his life. But he did hire smart people to write code and do the math. Fear sells.
                    FOMO and fear of loss are the most powerful tools.

Comment

Originally posted by Hatton View Post

I am not sure this is true. I remember America being extremely polarized during the VietNam era.
                      None of us were there but we can all agree that the civil war era was pretty polarized.

Comment

Originally posted by burritos View Post

None of us were there, and there's no youtube clips of the confrontations, but we can all agree that the civil war era was pretty polarized.
                        Tons of assumptions there.
                        https://m.youtube.com/results?sp=mAE...tnam+war+prote sts+in+america
                        Chicago Seven, Patty Hearst?
                        What we didn’t have was the internet, phones, live streaming and Twitter.
                        Basically, news organizations covered protests that exposed “the establishment” misdirection.
                        Who would have thought that was possible?

Comment

Working...
                        X