Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• uptoolate
    replied
    Drove 12 hours to Gallatin, Tennessee and stood on the centreline for 2m 40s of totality.  Was an amazing thing to see and great to be in a large crowd of people as the reactions were impressive. The town of Gallatin did a great job of hosting things in a large town park.  Getting out was a little harder and it took 9 hours to make the normally 4 hour drive from Gallatin up to Cincinnati where I stayed the night.  The slow down was mainly due to construction on I-65.  It was an amazing sight and would definitely make the trip again.  Thankfully, the 2024 eclipse gives me 2 minutes of totality within a 30 minute drive. Hopefully will be around to see it and get clear weather.

On the way back I stopped into the USAF Museum.  A great place to visit.

Leave a comment:

• hightower
    replied
    We travelled to a spot where we got to see about 2 minutes of totality.  I was skeptical that it would be all that interesting, but after seeing it, I can testify that it was really incredible.  It was one of the weirdest, most surreal experiences of my life.  Definitely recommend people take the opportunity to see the next one that's coming through the eastern US in 2024.

Leave a comment:

• Matas
    replied
    I, too, live in the "Path of Totality" (I can't stop repeating that phrase). Took the day off and watched the whole thing in the back yard lounging by and in the pool. Enjoyed it with family and friends and a few cold ones. Took the day off to ensure no hospital shoe-string tackles.

It was incredible. Glad I didn't miss it.

Leave a comment:

• MochaDoc
    replied
    i live in the path of totality and had the pleasure of watching from my backyard.

it was a bit of a spiritual experience. the cicadas went crazy. the exterior night lights came on. the transition from light to dark was strikingly sudden. seeing the progression through proper eye protection and then looking at the eclipse with bare eyes once it was safe to do so was amazing. pictures don't do it justice.

i'm willing to travel cheap to see the 2024 eclipse. seeing it on the cheap was great. spending thousands to see it would have annoyed me.

Leave a comment:

• MSooner
    replied
    We made a trip of it and drove 9 hours to see totality with friends from med school--they live in an area where we got 2.5 minutes in their backyard. It was a blast and the kids will definitely remember it. My husband has been talking about doing this for almost 10 years.

The 13 hour drive home wasn't so hot though.

Leave a comment:

• notadoc
    replied
    2024 map

http://americaneclipseusa.com/future-usa-eclipses/

Leave a comment:

• artemis
    replied
    I traveled about 2 1/2 hours to see totality.  It was hit-and-miss with the clouds early in the day, but then the weather cleared up except for some wispy clouds we could easily see through, and the eclipse was fantastic!

Leave a comment:

• Otodoc
    replied
    i live in a 95% spot.  traveled 3 hours to get right in the middle of totality.  i think we had 2 minutes 36 seconds or something.  as i'm watching it progress and it got to 95% i was thinking, "this isn't all that awesome like people said it would be".  but then at totality it was amazing.  we had a crystal clear sky.  the kids went berserk.  i wont be hyperbolic and say it was "life changing", but it was definitely one of the coolest things i have ever seen in my life.  would definitely travel a long ways to see another one.

Leave a comment:

• Kamban
    replied
    Had 2 minutes and 10 seconds of totality. An hour before there were puffy white clouds but by the time the eclipse started the sky was blue and crystal clear. So for 3 hours not a cloud anywhere near the sun.

We spread bedsheets on the back lawn and lay down and looked up overhead to prevent a crick in the neck that would develop standing and craning our necks up.

Leave a comment:

• RogueDadMD
    replied
    My house was in the path of totality -- about 1.5 minutes. Got to watch from the backyard. It was pretty amazing.

Had to work in ER a couple hours later. Thankfully no kids showed up with burned out eyeballs.

Leave a comment:

• The White Coat Investor
    replied
    I think we had 91%. It was cool. Nothing happened in the hospital for about 20 minutes. I only had one psych patient from it.

Leave a comment:

• Hatton
    replied
    I just got back from driving about 2 hours to see it outside of Nashville.  We watched on the side of the road. Very cool.  The streetlights came on.  We encountered no extra traffic at all.  We went back roads and avoided Nashville.

Leave a comment:

• VagabondMD
    replied
    We had about a minute and a half of totality. Hospital functions, except for the critically ill patients and emergencies, were at a standstill for about an hour, 30 minutes on either side of totality.

Leave a comment:

• jfoxcpacfp
    replied

Emergency rooms brace for fallout from solar eclipse

I’m watching on the Weather Channel.

I would have never thought of an eclipse fallout. There is no traffic on the main artery through town, in front of our office, which is normally very congested at lunch. Traffic accidents should go down.

Leave a comment:

• notadoc
    replied

Emergency rooms brace for fallout from solar eclipse

I'm watching on the Weather Channel.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X