Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

WSOP

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • WSOP

    Schedule just came out. If anyone is going in mid-June, let's get together for a beer or meal. I'm playing in a few events and cash mixed games rest of the time. Moved to Bally's and Paris on the strip this year from the Rio where it's been for the past 17 years.

  • #2
    Not this year, but definitely a bucket list item for me

    Comment


    • #3
      I’ll be there the week of June 19th, starting with millionaire maker weekend. I’ll miss the Rio (I don’t think many people share my sentiment), but looking forward to having it on the strip. Let me know if you’ll be there around that time

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by HikingDO View Post
        I’ll be there the week of June 19th,
        I'm there 8-17. GL in the milly maker!

        Looking forward to more food options on the strip especially In-N-Out Burger for late nights!

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Yowza View Post

          I'm there 8-17. GL in the milly maker!

          Looking forward to more food options on the strip especially In-N-Out Burger for late nights!
          Thanks! Gonna play the seniors this year too, first time, guess I’m getting old enough that I can😢. I LOVE when the WSOP schedule comes out each year, it’s honestly one of my favorite days of the year. What events are you gonna do this year?

          Comment


          • #6
            I used to be a WSOP card dealer in the early 2000s. Maybe i should go.

            Comment


            • #7
              I knew there were multiple events, but not to the extent listed nor did I know it was that long day-wise. What do most people do, plan on the days there and pick/choose events while in town? I imagine registration has deadlines, or can you join an event last minute?

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by 8arclay View Post
                I knew there were multiple events, but not to the extent listed nor did I know it was that long day-wise. What do most people do, plan on the days there and pick/choose events while in town? I imagine registration has deadlines, or can you join an event last minute?
                I usually pick 7-10 days with a few events that I want to play, and fill time in between with cash games. Registration is never a problem, you can late register for most events up to 8-10 hours after they start, and some even on day two.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by 8arclay View Post
                  I knew there were multiple events, but not to the extent listed nor did I know it was that long day-wise. What do most people do, plan on the days there and pick/choose events while in town? I imagine registration has deadlines, or can you join an event last minute?
                  Click on the schedule. Something like 109 events with a structure sheet with more details.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    And I get accused of "gambling" for selling some SPY covered calls, lol.

                    Very fun stuff, but I have no idea where you guys get the time. I would like to do a WSOP event or two in my retirement.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Max Power View Post
                      And I get accused of "gambling" for selling some SPY covered calls, lol.

                      Very fun stuff, but I have no idea where you guys get the time. I would like to do a WSOP event or two in my retirement.
                      According to federal law, poker is not gambling, since it is predominately not a game of chance.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by 8arclay View Post
                        I knew there were multiple events, but not to the extent listed nor did I know it was that long day-wise. What do most people do, plan on the days there and pick/choose events while in town? I imagine registration has deadlines, or can you join an event last minute?
                        When I used to go, I actually only went for for the cash games.

                        Tournaments are too hit or miss. The cash games were great though.

                        Every now and then I'd play a satellite or two. In the rare instances I won a lammer for a tournament entry, I'd just sell it to someone who wanted to play for face value.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by HikingDO View Post
                          According to federal law, poker is not gambling, since it is predominately not a game of chance.
                          I get that, man. I love nothing more than some quality 4/8, 5/10, 10/20... I play 1/2 and 2/5 NL also, but all of that that is fairly rare since grad school and residency ended.

                          I realize poker is more of a pot odds and skill game than most other casino games, but while it is not a slots tourney, it's still much more akin to a blackjack tourney than a chess or soccer tourney or an architecture award. That is why I tend to prefer the limit game and the cash games... the pots are capped and luck factor irons out more over time than in NL, which has many very hot and very cool streaks. All sports and games have an element of luck, but you can't tell me AQs going all in against 88 at the final table is not basically a high-stakes coin flip with a heavy amount of luck involved or that Q9 bluffing pre-flop to steal blinds and stay alive isn't a stroke of fortune as to whether or not the opponents have anything to call with and what the flop brings. Fun game, but definitely a lot of coin flips in any form of poker or omaha or cards, esp in a NL hold em tourney.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by HikingDO View Post

                            Thanks! Gonna play the seniors this year too, first time, guess I’m getting old enough that I can😢. I LOVE when the WSOP schedule comes out each year, it’s honestly one of my favorite days of the year. What events are you gonna do this year?
                            We're about the same age; I could've played the seniors last year, but I'm not a NLHE guy. Playing 2-7 TD, NL 2-7, and HORSE events during the time I'm there.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Max Power View Post
                              I get that, man. I love nothing more than some quality 4/8, 5/10, 10/20... I play 1/2 and 2/5 NL also, but all of that that is fairly rare since grad school and residency ended.

                              I realize poker is more of a pot odds and skill game than most other casino games, but while it is not a slots tourney, it's still much more akin to a blackjack tourney than a chess or soccer tourney or an architecture award. That is why I tend to prefer the limit game and the cash games... the pots are capped and luck factor irons out more over time than in NL, which has many very hot and very cool streaks. All sports and games have an element of luck, but you can't tell me AQs going all in against 88 at the final table is not basically a high-stakes coin flip with a heavy amount of luck involved or that Q9 bluffing pre-flop to steal blinds and stay alive isn't a stroke of fortune as to whether or not the opponents have anything to call with and what the flop brings. Fun game, but definitely a lot of coin flips in any form of poker or omaha or cards, esp in a NL hold em tourney.
                              Definitely disagree with bolded. Over a long period of time, I think an amateur has a greater chance playing limit hold'em against an expert than the amateur would playing NLHE against an expert. In the latter there is basically no chance. The reason is because in LHE there is no opportunity to make catastrophic errors. In NLHE, they come up frequently.

                              Obviously in both cases, the amateur is toast. But if you are a bad player, then LHE is definitely the better choice (obviously better still would be not sitting down in the first place).

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X