Quasi-financial topic-- college drop done

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quasi-financial topic-- college drop done

I spent so much time reading about, discussing and pondering how to select and pay for college for our children that it seems almost anti-climactic when the moment arrives. Well, in our household, it arrived this weekend. After a flurry of shopping activity at Target and Bed, Bath and Beyond, we moved our son into his dorm room, met roommates and hall mates (and their parents), attended the convocation ceremony, and, well, we left him there.

Throughout the weekend, not a moment was spent considering 529 glidepaths, state tax deductions, UTMA concerns, or loans, as we were completely prepared for him to attend the college which seemed to be the perfect fit for him (and us). As it should be, we were focused on launching a bright, engaging young man into the next step toward adulthood and ruminating just a little about how much we will miss his presence in our daily lives.

Congrats.  Bittersweet I'm sure.

Comment

Watching the students move into the dorms at the univ. I work at is interesting.  They have so much stuff.  All I had was a single footlocker, not even a TV for un ACed dorm.  (It gets hot in Gainesville FL).  

Comment

Congrats.   I hope to do as well someday.

Comment

Aw, congratulations! I can't imagine I'm going to handle college drop off gracefully. I already told my 9 yo I'm going to be his roommate when he leaves and so far he's ok with that plan ;-)

Comment

Congrats.  Big event.  I hope you and your wife are holding up ok.

Comment

This is timely.  Doing some locums work right now and brought my family with me.  All hanging out in a hotel in the middle of nowhere.  Our two young ones seem to be in a competition to see whose diaper can take the paint off the walls and rack up incidental room charges/cleaning fees.  Our 2 year-old has developed a new fascination with hitting the elevator buttons and riding it up and down.  In another elevator-seeking joy ride today he bolted down the hallway yelling at the elevator as a woman went on.  The lady who held the elevator for us looked down at him with some sadness as he gleefully pressed all the buttons.  She said she missed this age and had just dropped her son off at college.  I have no doubt I will feel the same way she did, and as Vagabond stated matters of personal finance matter not in moments like that.  But while those moments should be devoid of thoughts on personal finance IMO, interestingly our optimization of personal finance (more specifically FI(RE)) is precisely what gives us more time to enjoy moments with those we love.

Comment

Congratulations! Good luck to your son in college.

Comment

I hope your son settles in quickly and enjoys himself. As much as you miss him, I'm sure your happiness is great.

Comment

Congratulations and best wishes to your son as he starts college.

We will be dropping our two children off for their final and third years of college next week. Time flies, and I still vividly remember the send off on their first day.

We are fortunate that our children still like vacationing with us (hopefully not only because we are paying the travel and college bills!), and we are spending the last week of summer on one of the most beautiful spots on the Great Lakes. With any luck the wind will pick up and we'll get in some kiteboarding, but in the meantime there is some spectacular hiking and fiercely competitive board games.

Comment

Congratulations.

Today was the 1st day of high school for my freshman daughter. As I dropped her off at the car line an hour ago I could see the simultaneous look of excitement and apprehension in her face as she was gathering all her belongings from the back seat and ready to walk through the front door.

Time flies. 

Comment

Working...
                      X