X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CordMcNally
    replied
    Originally posted by StateOfMyHead View Post

It has been going on in large numbers for a few years now. I can only speculate there are even more RNs in As Seen On TV NP school now due to the terrible conditions in hospitals over the past two years.
    It would also be helpful that NP schools don’t basically admit 100% if their applicants.

I’ve also seen a handful of new NPs continue to work as an RN because they can’t find an NP job.

Leave a comment:

• AR
    replied
    Originally posted by Tim View Post

Why jump into the fire with Covid? .
    $8K/week.

Leave a comment:

• Tim
    replied
    Originally posted by StateOfMyHead View Post

It has been going on in large numbers for a few years now. I can only speculate there are even more RNs in As Seen On TV NP school now due to the terrible conditions in hospitals over the past two years.
    Probably a contingent that is viewing the NP and pandemic as an opportunity to attempt to "finish their training" rather than going straight into the job market.
    The traditional path, get the degree prior to work experience. So many indicate that the lack of residency or an experience requirement is a factor with NPs.
    Why jump into the fire with Covid? Just signup for classes.

Leave a comment:

• StateOfMyHead
    replied
    Originally posted by AR View Post

I imagine that happens, but that shouldn't be exacerbating the shortage. At least not yet.

Leave a comment:

• AR
    replied
    Originally posted by CordMcNally View Post

Many NP programs are online and they continue working as an RN through ‘school’.
    I imagine that happens, but that shouldn't be exacerbating the shortage. At least not yet.

Leave a comment:

• nastle
    replied
    Originally posted by Kamban View Post

The crash coursing has what has led to a lot of pseudo-doctors, who are eating our lunch. The RN's who did it to the docs knew how to fortify their castle and prevent it happening to them. Smart cookies for having the cake and easing it too.
    Every castle can be breached with the right weapons

Leave a comment:

• artemis
    replied
    Originally posted by Zaphod View Post
    I've never understood the travel pay discrepancy, it was already large prior to the pandemic and now its nuts, better than many docs with so much less hassle.

Yet hospitals refuse to up the pay for regular staff to 1/4 or 1/3 of travelers? Seems extremely short sighted and has to be compensated somewhere or for some reason..
    Hospitals have indeed been idiotic, and are now paying the price. Floor nursing's a hard job as it is; deliberately understaffing and underpaying the people doing that work was bound to end badly sooner or later. COVID just made the timeline sooner.

Leave a comment:

• Craigslist
    replied
    Originally posted by Kamban View Post

It is ironic that this forum that advocates FIRE for physicians so that they can quit in the 40's and early 50's but expects the nurses and other health care workers to not do the same but work into their 60's with low pay and hard physical labor.

Do as I say, not as I do.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	BU8wB7CCEAAickX.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	29.5 KB
ID:	321652

Leave a comment:

• Kamban
    replied
    Originally posted by afan View Post
    There are enough RNs to fill the openings but they don't want the work. Unlike medicine, many people do the education, work in the field for a while and leave. Raising salaries and improving working conditions would help a lot.

Like everywhere else, we are desperately short of RNs. We have long tried to use people with less education and fewer skills to do things that do not require RNs. Nurse extenders are as important as physician extenders.
    It is ironic that this forum, that advocates FIRE for physicians so that they can quit in the 40's and early 50's, expects the nurses and other health care workers to not do the same but work into their 60's with low pay and hard physical labor.

Do as I say, not as I do.
    Last edited by Kamban; 02-22-2022, 08:53 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Kamban
    replied
    Originally posted by nastle View Post
    Can we have medical assistants go through a crash course in 3 months and become ersatz RN ?
    The crash coursing has what has led to a lot of pseudo-doctors, who are eating our lunch. The RN's who did it to the docs knew how to fortify their castle and prevent it happening to them. Smart cookies for having the cake and easing it too.

Leave a comment:

• CordMcNally
    replied
    I will say that in my experience, travelers seem to be less inclined to go the extra mile or really put a lot of effort into getting things done. There are certainly exceptions and there are staff nurses who do the same thing but being there strictly for the paycheck and knowing you'll be out of there in a few weeks doesn't seem to be a big motivator to be efficient and hard-working.

Leave a comment:

• Lithium
    replied
    I doubt it will happen but I would love for WCI to bring on a traveler RN to his podcast to shed some light on how the firms work, the lifestyle, similarities and differences to locums etc. I was telling one of the RNs here that she would probably have to send in quarterly payments for taxes and she said "I think that's more of a doctor thing." Not sure if they are just W2 or victims of ignorance From what others have told me, they are mostly using their own transportation and paying for their own housing (I received both when I did locums).

Leave a comment:

• Zaphod
    replied
    I've never understood the travel pay discrepancy, it was already large prior to the pandemic and now its nuts, better than many docs with so much less hassle.

Yet hospitals refuse to up the pay for regular staff to 1/4 or 1/3 of travelers? Seems extremely short sighted and has to be compensated somewhere or for some reason.

I was reading travel rn reddit yesterday and some rn's in the south say that pay is/was less than 20/h and now it is barely moving up to low/mid 20s. That is insane and hospitals get what they deserve for that. Less than I made in a grocery store 20 years ago. While Cali was 50+/h for staff or surgery center (cushier) rns prior to the pandemic.

Leave a comment:

• nastle
    replied
    Originally posted by artemis View Post

Only when an AI can restart an IV or turn a patient or change dressings.
    CNA work a lot harder than RN generally speaking
    they can be taught all this

Leave a comment:

• artemis
    replied
    Originally posted by Hank View Post
    Couldn’t we just use AI to replace RNs? After all, their job is more algorithmic and requires substantially less training than a mid-level or a primary care physician.
    Only when an AI can restart an IV or turn a patient or change dressings.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X