No announcement yet.

Blog(s)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I never could get into the POF blog. I read all the early WCI ones but mostly just do the forum now. Not sure if it's because I mostly feel like I know what I need to for my personal situation or what. But I agree that blogs tend to have a certain lifespan. . .

Comment

A good manager works one out of their job. It's a testament of what WCI and POF do for the masses.

Think 100-300 level classes. You can only say the same basics over so many different times.....so seasoned veterans will find basic boot camp kind of boring as that's all muscle memory now.

As folk mention, laws change. Investment conditions change. Peaks, valleys, dips, bubbles occur. Throw in a pandemic and political upheaval and geopitics to boot.....I thank the forum as an oasis of relative calm of like minded folk to banter with.

I do enjoy deep dives on new material. Podcast...hidden brain and planet money speak to me a lot.

haven't hit fiphysician blog. Have to check that out.

As mentioned in other threads hitting 50 shortly and past the leanFI plans and already loosened the purse strings to higher levels....so 'now what' and glide path questions starting to become more a reality to choose though not really ready to yet either....perhaps fiphysician will be it?

​​​​​​

Comment

This forum is very good.

Why?

1. no one has a big agenda (no one selling)

2. Mostly docs & other high income/ high net worth p. Similar problems & concerns.

3. People have similar paths & problems & lessons learned. Similar questions.

4. Docs are often eager to share useful info. We publish in medical journals for fee. We pay to attend conferences and present what we have learned. We discuss challenges at M&M and try to prevent future mistakes for ourselves and others. Mostly we are trying to improve and grow and we are ok with not being perfect and with discussion. It can suck, but you learn and grow.

5. The forum allows detailed dialogue.You can describe your specific details and idiosyncrasies. You can discuss the exact price of the house or the exact interest rate on the loan or the exact AA or even the exact fund or stock in question.

6. Multiple points of view expressed and different opinions and ideas exchanged. Some would do this for that reason and others would do differently for a different reason.

These are not absolutes. No one is perfect but we try to learn and improve and we share.
        Last edited by Tangler; 02-19-2022, 12:05 AM.

Comment

After seeing the love for FIPhysician above, I went to the site and read 11 Reasons to Not Own I-Bonds. It was one of the worst pieces I've ever read in the financial blogosphere.
          Erstwhile Dance Theatre of Dayton performer cum bellhop. Carried (many) bags for a lovely and gracious 59 yo Cyd Charisse. (RIP) Hosted epic company parties after Friday night rehearsals.

Comment

Originally posted by CM View Post
            After seeing the love for FIPhysician above, I went to the site and read 11 Reasons to Not Own I-Bonds. It was one of the worst pieces I've ever read in the financial blogosphere.
            He is definitely hit or miss. Generally I notice that people like what he writes in his wheelhouse, which is planning the drawdown phase.

Comment

Ok, you got me interested. I am heading over to FiPhysician to check it out.

Comment

Originally posted by CM View Post
                i like fi physician. he gets into retirement issues quite a bit, so i suspect that’s why people migrate over there as a sort of next step. not as lucid or flowing as wci’s writing and there are grammatical issues.

he talked trash about my ibonds and i am not as on board with his covid views, but still good stuff there.
                “. . . And the LORD spake, saying “First shalt thou take out the Holy 401k. Then shalt thou save to 20%, no more, no less. 20% shall be the number thou shalt save, and the number of the saving shall be 20%. 25% shalt thou not save, neither save thou 15%, excepting that thou then proceed to 20%. 30% is right out . . .””

Comment

Originally posted by blippi View Post

i like fi physician. he gets into retirement issues quite a bit, so i suspect that’s why people migrate over there as a sort of next step. not as lucid or flowing as wci’s writing and there are grammatical issues.

he talked trash about my ibonds and i am not as on board with his covid views, but still good stuff there.
                  SO many grammatical issues. Makes me cringe within two paragraphs every time!

That said, his retirement-specific content is usually quite good—and actionable.

Comment

Originally posted by bovie View Post

SO many grammatical issues. Makes me cringe within two paragraphs every time!

That said, his retirement-specific content is usually quite good—and actionable.
                    Ah, yes. Now I remember why I didn't subscribe....

Comment

Hey--when did this become the bash FiPhysician thread?

Anyway, thanks for the positive comments. The blog is about de-accumulation--that is, the actual withdrawal of money from accounts for those who have oversaved and are sick of the bait and switch (most folks just live on social security so buy this annuity now Now NOW!) and the blogs that don't actually challenge you to learn anything new. Taxes and investing are also fair game, though I guess my take on I-Bonds (that they will be much less sexy 2 years from now when they are paying 1.5% again) has struck a nerve (just wait two years and see if you are still upset).

I guess I'll have to fire my editor again. Maybe he didn't learn grammar cause he was pre-med and then spent 10 years memorizing journals and then 15 years practicing before retiring early to write a retirement blog that earns about 12 cents an hour. No Excuses! But actually, with all the positive feedback from this thread, I'll just keep writing about first world problems . Again, thanks for the positive feedback! Good to know there are folks reading!

Comment

Originally posted by FiPhysician View Post

Anyway, thanks for the positive comments. The blog is about de-accumulation--that is, the actual withdrawal of money from accounts for those who have oversaved and are sick of the bait and switch (most folks just live on social security so buy this annuity now Now NOW!) and the blogs that don't actually challenge you to learn anything new. Taxes and investing are also fair game, though I guess my take on I-Bonds (that they will be much less sexy 2 years from now when they are paying 1.5% again) has struck a nerve (just wait two years and see if you are still upset).

I guess I'll have to fire my editor again. Maybe he didn't learn grammar cause he was pre-med and then spent 10 years memorizing journals and then 15 years practicing before retiring early to write a retirement blog that earns about 12 cents an hour. No Excuses! But actually, with all the positive feedback from this thread, I'll just keep writing about first world problems . Again, thanks for the positive feedback! Good to know there are folks reading!
                        If you search “FIPhysician” in the Forum search box you would see a lot of positive comments over the past year or so. Your blog and planning business fill an important niche. But obviously not everyone enjoys every post. Thanks for taking the criticism constructively.

Comment

Originally posted by FiPhysician View Post

Welcome to the forum. I have recommended you to numerous posters. I for one enjoyed your talk at WCIcon22. If your grammar is bad so is mine.

Comment

When I first started reading about FI, this blog and POFs really helped teach me the basics. Its nice that they are still around so if I need to brush up on anything (or need to reference for someone else) I can usually find a blogpost about it. That being said, yeah I stopped reading them a while ago. After a point, there is diminishing educational returns for us (but not for beginners). POF 4 physician series was awesome, and every now and then I used to read his sunday best to see if there was a new voice out there, but after awhile, its becomes all the same with few exceptions.

Comment

As the grammar/punctuation Nazi in our firms, I totally get it for those who are turned off by errors. My thoughts from the above, fwiw:
                              • There is a void of good decumulation info for physicians and other high net worth earners online aside from the canned advice from brokerage firms. So if this blog is targeted toward late- and post-career doc’s, he’s found a great niche
                                • Decumulation planning is as difficult - if not more so - than accumulation planning, partly because you’ve thrown in the element of next-gen/estate planning.
                                • The default to move to “security” (i.e. bonds and CDs, for ex) is far less relevant in this sphere, but most high net-worth families who are relying on blogs and online advice tend to default to the same old tired advice parceled out to middle-American families for whom SS is a significant part of their retirement liquidity. IMPO, big mistake that is rarely understood because you don’t miss what you never had.
                              • I guesstimate that the large % of blog followers in the doc FI space are early- to mid-career physicians, which helps explain the focus on accumulation.
                              • I believe that the business goal becomes mining new blog readers rather than entertaining the old. Businesspeople like Jim can rewash topics to bring in more new readers and easily replace seasoned readers.
                              • Financial education and financial planning are very different but are often considered interchangeable. See “IMPO” above.
                              Our passion is protecting clients and others from predatory and ignorant advisors. Fox & Co CPAs, Fox & Co Wealth Mgmt. 270-247-6087

Comment

“. . . And the LORD spake, saying “First shalt thou take out the Holy 401k. Then shalt thou save to 20%, no more, no less. 20% shall be the number thou shalt save, and the number of the saving shall be 20%. 25% shalt thou not save, neither save thou 15%, excepting that thou then proceed to 20%. 30% is right out . . .””

Comment

Working...
                                X