Blog(s)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blog(s)

Anyone still reading the blogs? I was reading WCI and PoF every day for a few years but several months ago I started skipping more posts that do not pertain to me and now I have a hard time finding any of them of much interest. I have a few reasons;

I am not a big fan of the new writers (sorry).
    I do not find the Crossroads series very interesting, relatable, or helpful.
    A lot just seem like ads for RE funds or lecture series.
    I know a lot of the basics and there are only so many ways to write about them.

I miss the good ol days of being excited to read about personal finance and those quirky 4 physicians!

Yeah. I read the blog when an article pertains to me. I actually read the FiPhysician the most because the content is relevant for my situation. I also loved the 4 physicians. I do not have much interest in real estate but occasionally I will read one for general knowledge.

Comment

I never got into the blogs for whatever reason. I’ll go read a post if someone references it in a thread or something but that’s about it. I guess people just consume content differently.

Comment

I think it is pretty difficult to consistently generate quality content. I probably would have submitted a guest post at some point if I thought I had something to add that wasn’t already extensively covered in 10+ years worth of blog posts. I couldn’t care less about the wellness stuff though I understand why a lot of blogs have gone with that angle. With that said, I still learn a lot from some posts, such as Jim’s recent breakdown of the Vanguard LTCG fiasco in the TRD funds. He is really the only mainstream blogger I’ve noticed that gets into the weeds enough to hold my attention with certain aspects of investing and tax law. I’ve always appreciated his knowledge base. Maybe I’ll bookmark FiPhysician as well.

Comment

Lordosis Polls should be a weekly feature. They are entertaining.
          The blog posts are of interest, only if it is relevant to one’s life. Face it, for most it is “been there, done that”.
          I am awed by Spiritrider’s ability to solve IRS complex puzzles.
          I don’t believe the Forum is the target audience of the blog.
          I agree Jim sometimes has the ability to get down into the weeds effectively. That can be entertaining.

Comment

I used to read every WCI article, now I read maybe one every other month. I still like his newsletter / tip of the month - that's usually pretty good. The rest just doesn't really pertain to me.

I read some of the PoF FIRE series he just started, for entertainment.

Most bloggers I used to enjoy have fallen off in productivity.

Comment

Originally posted by Hatton View Post
              Yeah. I read the blog when an article pertains to me. I actually read the FiPhysician the most because the content is relevant for my situation. I also loved the 4 physicians. I do not have much interest in real estate but occasionally I will read one for general knowledge.
              I am in the same boat. I read the FiPhysician fairly religiously. My reading of the WCI and PoF content has dropped off, but I will certainly read either when the subject is interesting to me. I am not that interested in most of the exposes of other doctors, as few are relatable to me. Most are younger in their careers and have vastly different life circumstances. Maybe that is why I enjoy the FiPhysician so much. I feel like he is speaking to my issues and concerns.

As for the new "WCI columnists", I like some more than others. The quality is overall higher than the random "guest blog", in my opinion.

I think that at some point, you simply run out of new things to say or new takes on the old stuff. I have been through this also with various other blogs in the personal finance space (A Wealth of Common Sense, Morgan Housel, Jonathon Clements, etc.) and in other hobbies and interests. I think blog subscription and reading has a definite life cycle. At some point, you have heard 90%+ of the author's message, and the last 10% is not worth the effort.

On the other hand, I have a longer persistency with podcasts and am still enjoying the WCI podcasts, though it depends a great deal on the topic du jour or the questions submitted. I listen while walking the dogs or doing chores, and podcasts do not require the concentration and time commitment that reading does.

Comment

I still read many of the posts on WCI and PoF, but I pick and choose more. I've only just discovered FIPhysician's blog, and am enjoying it immensely. I think the problem is the obvious: after a while, you've learned most of what you need to know, and only need to pick up new things occasionally (as life circumstances and tax laws change).

I am sure glad the blogs are still around, though, for the sake of those just discovering them!

Comment

Originally posted by artemis View Post
                  I still read many of the posts on WCI and PoF, but I pick and choose more. I've only just discovered FIPhysician's blog, and am enjoying it immensely. I think the problem is the obvious: after a while, you've learned most of what you need to know, and only need to pick up new things occasionally (as life circumstances and tax laws change).

I am sure glad the blogs are still around, though, for the sake of those just discovering them!
                  That's exactly it. My partner at work says he never reads any more because I taught him everything he needed to know when he was an intern. He's probably right.
                  Helping those who wear the white coat get a fair shake on Wall Street since 2011

Comment

I do like that the blogs are highlighted to the Forum as posts. That way I don't have to look in both places. If the topic appears to be interesting I'll use the link to go to the blog post directly. My favorite types of blogs are the "how to." Followed closely by in depth dives into new phenomena (e.g., crypto). Guest posts and new writers are hit or mess, but I'm curious by nature and a financial "dig it," so I'll often at least take a look.

Comment

I started reading WCI and PoF blogs regularly in 2016. After my own FIRE in 2020, I don't read the blogs as much either. I have a 3-fund portfolio, no student loans, am not into real estate, and have life and long-term care insurance needs covered. I do still enjoy the repartee on the forum.

Here’s a shameless plug, though: Look for my guest blog post on WCI next week!

Comment

Originally posted by Hatton View Post
                        FI physician is great.

The wci and pof “classics” are solid too.

I send people links to the “classic posts” from WCI and POF on TLH, backdoor Roth, etc.

Just yesterday someone asked about the diff between ETFs and MFs I hit google and boom, wci has a great post. link to text message and done!

The classic posts are awesomeness.

I have no use the the RE advertising as i feel it is like actively managed mutual funds.

Lately FIphyician just seems to be more what i am interested in.
                        Last edited by Tangler; 02-18-2022, 02:54 PM.

Comment

I mostly stopped, because I got the basic education years ago. I always recommend it to my younger colleagues and family.
                          Imused to frequent some other financial blogs, but some of the blogs’ writers are working too hard to generate content.
                          Physician on Fire Sunday best sometimes finds me a good post.
                          now the forums here and at bogleheads is more likely to expose me to something topical.

but lol this is good, because it means I am not worried about my finances and spending more of my time with other pursuits.

Comment

Agree w all of above.

tangentially related not loving the new podcast format… seems forced…. WCI has built up credibility to me but not really interested in random other doctors opinion

Comment

I found this blog only because I was searching for LTDI and had zero clue what my daughter needed.
                              I completely distrusted the online search for “Financial Advisors” etc. I am familiar with them.
                              I was completely dissatisfied with my contacts for LTDI insurance. The blog was extremely helpful. WCI responded and suggested the Forum for a question.
                              The financial path of a physician is very different than most (corporate or entrepreneurial). My prior blog and forum exposure was investment and FA types.
                              WCI blog and Forum gave me an insight from a physician’s perspective. 90% of the benefit probably came from the Tale of Four Physicians and the Financial Waterfalls. Digging into to each of those takes time. Thanks to WCI , the rules of thumb serve as warning lights. The Forum has been most valuable because the topics educated me to provide guidance from her point of view, not mine.
                              Personally, I have only benefited from Open Social. Mostly an addictive entertaining habit now. Just trying to help my kid avoid the big mistakes. Actually starting to get feedback regarding some of the moves her peers have made. Student loans, big houses, FOMO backfiring. “Dad you were right” is a rush.
                              Thank you for the information and sharing.
                              Last edited by Tim; 02-18-2022, 08:18 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X