Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Flying across country to take your teen to meet an online friend?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Really?

Comment

Originally posted by fatlittlepig View Post
      This is some next level weird shitt. If I were the father of that 14 year old girl you would have a serious problem.
      What the???? FLP is back?!? Where you been?

Comment

Originally posted by AR View Post

How confident were you that he would obey if the opportunity for "touching" presented itself?
        Fairly confident. His mother gave the same admonition.

Comment

Originally posted by AR View Post

He's back?!?

Since when? I must have missed the memo.
          Why? They're just talking.

Comment

Originally posted by burritos View Post

Why? They're just talking.
            I think he meant FatLittlePig is back

Comment

Originally posted by fatlittlepig View Post
              This is some next level weird shitt. If I were the father of that 14 year old girl you would have a serious problem.
              Why? They are just talking. Some kid asked my 12 y/o daughter out. I don't have a serious problem with it. Should I?

Comment

Not sure what geofencing is, but I did geocache the university of toronto.
                Meaning you get a perimeter for them to move around freely but warns when tripping the 'fence'. We use a program for the entire family called life360. Had it since day 1 of their phone. Even have it with the grandparents too

Comment

Fairly confident. His mother gave the same admonition.
                  Either you and your wife have done some amazing parenting or it's wishful thinking.

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume the former.

Comment

This whole thing seems a bit odd. Unless he’s extremely socially awkward and unlikely to find a girlfriend in a reasonable vicinity to your home I would make him earn the money to finance a romantic rendezvous.

Comment

Originally posted by StateOfMyHead View Post
                      This whole thing seems a bit odd. Unless he’s extremely socially awkward and unlikely to find a girlfriend in a reasonable vicinity to your home I would make him earn the money to finance a romantic rendezvous.
                      I'm not really looking at this from a financial angle at all. I mean if the kid somehow comes up with the money, do we drive him to the airport and wish him luck?

Comment

“But in reality, where is this going to go?”

Your son seems to be investing a lot of “social”development efforts online. I would just feel he would have a better chance of getting social skills if he was asking you to take him over to hangout with a friends little sister or to some activity on a “date”.

Long distance relationships suck. The opportunity to actually spend time together is important part of a teen's life. As a life coach, encouraging “crash and burn” experiences is kind of sad.

I see a near zero chance of real benefits for either of the kids. More benefits for the parents. “I took my kid to meet a girl in Toronto”. Set up for a failed “girlfriend” experience in the best case.

Keep on the path. It’s your kid. Don’t think you are doing him any favors. No my place to give you advice. You asked, so don’t take offense.

Comment

Originally posted by Tim View Post
                          “But in reality, where is this going to go?”

Your son seems to be investing a lot of “social”development efforts online. I would just feel he would have a better chance of getting social skills if he was asking you to take him over to hangout with a friends little sister or to some activity on a “date”.

Long distance relationships suck. The opportunity to actually spend time together is important part of a teen's life. As a life coach, encouraging “crash and burn” experiences is kind of sad.

I see a near zero chance of real benefits for either of the kids. More benefits for the parents. “I took my kid to meet a girl in Toronto”. Set up for a failed “girlfriend” experience in the best case.

Keep on the path. It’s your kid. Don’t think you are doing him any favors. No my place to give you advice. You asked, so don’t take offense.
                          No offense taken, and yes, I did ask.

Comment

This is just very odd. Can’t even express how fast “not a chance pal” would be flying out of my mouth.

Have to say I strongly agree with the sentiment regarding the girl’s father, as well.

Perhaps some less time on the computer and more time in the real world would be best for the apparent awkwardness.

And by real world, I don’t mean Toronto.

Honestly can’t believe you actually indulged this. Blows my mind.

Glad it worked out though, but like others don’t see it going anywhere or the point to it.

Comment

Maybe this is the future of META. Virtual reality twisted with a touch of reality.
                              Date night, slip on the goggle glasses or headset. A bite to eat in Rome and a denser cruise in Hawaii.
                              All without leaving the house. You are who you think you are.
                              Which brings to mind a really serious question:
                              How much are the consequences of COVID on children?
                              He was 13 and she was 12 when all the masks, online classes and social distancing started. Survival is a good thing. I would not criticize the kids. The adults imposed significant barriers on the kids. Good for them. A friend is significant. They found a friend. How long until they recover?
                              Could have been much worse. Life is complicated.

Comment

Ultimately have to figure where this is going to end up. Are they looking to remain friends or something more?

I dated a girl for 3 years that I met while playing world of Warcraft. Granted we were both adults and 1 hour away, not a plane ride away in another country. We even did long distance around 6 hours away for a while before it got to be too much with med school.

Personally I’d have your son think about what he wants realistically. Just friends for now would be great and you can just chat online through discord or FaceTime just fine. If they want in person time together they have to put in the effort too. Both he and she should work to finance their portion of the trips somehow. If you don’t feel comfortable with your son going on a trip by himself before 18 then you can continue to do the family trips there. Toronto is a great city to visit anyways.

I’d also get to know the other parents to feel comfortable with them and they with you so she can come visit you guys as well. Once they turn 18 then they can do whatever they want.

Comment

Working...
                                X