Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Flying across country to take your teen to meet an online friend?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Flying across country to take your teen to meet an online friend?

    Feeding the catfish? Bad idea? or roll the dice? 15 y son been talking with an online friend for over a year with a 14 y f. We are in Socal. "She" is in Toronto. Thumbs up or down?
    Last edited by burritos; 02-11-2022, 01:57 PM.

  • #2
    Not a good idea.

    Also different country too.

    Comment


    • #3
      might be a good learning experience now while supervised by you rather than when they are 22 and alone and meet Gilgamesh a 49 yo bowler.

      Comment


      • #4
        What would be a good dice roll outcome in this situation?

        Comment


        • #5
          i don't mean to be rude but how is this even a question?

          Comment


          • #6
            *Looking for the '************************ no' button*

            Comment


            • #7
              Clarification, we parents would go + the sibling.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Kamban View Post
                Not a good idea.

                Also different country too.
                Is Canada really a different country. I mean yes it is. But really?

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by childay View Post
                  What would be a good dice roll outcome in this situation?
                  Visualization and level three encounter with a friend? Though not sure if it would be considered established or new.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Craigslist View Post
                    might be a good learning experience now while supervised by you rather than when they are 22 and alone and meet Gilgamesh a 49 yo bowler.
                    This is the only reason I can think of to even consider this idea. Granted, I have 2 daughters, so I feel a need to help protect them from the crazy world out there.

                    Has he actually "seen" this friend, or only chatting/texting? Any video calls? Can you include parents on a call? I'd want to know that my child is actually going to meet who they think they are going to meet. Still, I don't know that I'd be going out of my way to take them somewhere to meet someone they've been talking to online.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Negative, Ghost Rider.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by burritos View Post
                        Feeding the catfish? Bad idea? or roll the dice? 15 y son been talking with an online friend for over a year with a 14 y f. We are in Socal. "She" is in Toronto. Thumbs up or down?
                        The Canadian girlfriend jokes will practically write themselves.

                        On the other hand, Toronto is a great city, imo. Not a bad spot for a short trip and if you happen to have time during which they could meet, that might not be terrible.

                        But the only way it works is if you would derive substantial enjoyment from a trip to Toronto and no meeting was planned. Otherwise, it's a no.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          We went to NYC last winter and it so happened that my 14 yo dtr online friend (that she's been talking to for about two years) was in town with her family. We arranged for them to meet with specific parameters: on our terms, at the Guggenheim, for two hours. They'd have some time to be on their own but were not to leave the building. And this was a matter of chance/convenience. We would never have made a special trip to accommodate this.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by burritos View Post

                            Visualization and level three encounter with a friend? Though not sure if it would be considered established or new.
                            So level three is third base right?

                            I'd stick with the synchronous telemedicine modifier

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Sure why not.

                              You might have more in common with the 45 year old guy living in his moms basement than your son.

                              Might be fun.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X