No announcement yet.

30 million, how much good could you do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 30 million, how much good could you do?

Most of us will never see close to 30 million.

I will not.

If you did, imagine all the good you could do!

What would you spend it on?

I would help those in need after disasters and I would help animal shelters and I would start a big DAF and spend a lot of time evaluating charities.

I would build artificial reefs etc. !
    Last edited by Tangler; 02-09-2022, 03:27 AM.

While $30M could do some good for several charities, I don’t think I’d necessarily call it world changing. Artificial reefs sound incredibly expensive.

Comment

Honestly, I don’t think with $30M or something like that I would see myself as a big philanthropist. I’d probably seek to start businesses that provided jobs. Best form of giving out there. Sure, sure, some problems are externalities and cannot be solved by market forces. But in those cases I’d look to smaller charities with direct involvement in solving local problems. Large institutional charities have too much overhead.

Comment

Alright, so my weird thing:

I’ve told my wife that if we ever had mid/high 8 figures, I’d want to build a penguin exhibit at the local zoo.

I know this may sound sarcastic, but I’m 100% serious. I don’t know what it is, but penguins make me laugh. I think it would make other people happy to.

Also, feed the poor, world peace….but penguins first.

Comment

Something something 2 chicks at the same time?

Comment

Originally posted by Tangler View Post
            Most of us will never see close to 30 million.

I will not.

If you did, imagine all the good you could do!

What would you spend it on?

I would help those in need after disasters and I would help animal shelters and I would start a big DAF and spend a lot of time evaluating charities.

I would build artificial reefs etc. !
            As the $10M before 50 showed us , there are a good number of people who are close to it or have exceeded it. If even half of them leave it on its course until age 65, they would have tripled or quadrupled their money by that time.

The people I know who have far more than that usually lead normal lives, go about their work and run their business. They give to charities but nothing life changing. My feeling is that unless you can afford to give away $500M+, you are unlikely to do anything life changing and $30M won't go far in today's economy.

That does not mean that giving to an orphanage or animal shelter is not life changing to those who reside there. I think artificial reefs that are effective to help climate change will cost way more than $30M.

Comment

As someone who is planning to retire with $3M I think I could do a lot of good with $30 million on a local level. My priority is always animal charities so in addition to shelter assistance maybe funds to lobby for stricter animal abuse laws? My other thought would be resources so young mothers could care for their baby while attending parenting classes and school?

Comment

Any dollars to philanthropy is beneficial. There's different measure of success and impact, yes. Like the recent musk vs world hunger is a very poor conversation on addressing and resolution....one off donations won't cure a systemic issue

People have posted they have directly benefited from a gracious benefactor for scholarship for some activity.

This helps at any level... neighborhood, church, school, university, society program, ngo. Anything. One dollar. A billion.

Doing nothing absolutely gets that.

Comment

Originally posted by Nysoz View Post
                  Something something 2 chicks at the same time?
                  Take it in context, I have had the opportunity for many chicks.
                  Wife, daughter, aunt, MIL :a live in former interest when i got married. Chicks have many draw backs. Each one has their own good points. Misleading for just 2 chicks. Haven't even touched on mom and sister!
                  Be careful what you wish for. It's like finding Alladin's lamp, you might regret your wish.

Comment

Originally posted by Tim View Post
                    Take it in context, I have had the opportunity for many chicks.
                    Wife, daughter, aunt, MIL :a live in former interest when i got married. Chicks have many draw backs. Each one has their own good points. Misleading for just 2 chicks. Haven't even touched on mom and sister!
                    Be careful what you wish for. It's like finding Alladin's lamp, you might regret your wish.
                    It’s a line from office space…

Comment

I like the line at the end of that scene: "You don't need money to do nothing. Look at my cousin. He's broke and don't do..."

Comment

hookers and cocaine

Comment

Originally posted by Larry Ragman View Post
                          I like the line at the end of that scene: "You don't need money to do nothing. Look at my cousin. He's broke and don't do..."
                          Sounds like someone has a case of the Mondays…

Comment

Don't even need to reach 30m to make a difference, but would def fund a lot of scholarships, especially in poor 3rd world countries. Also give to charities that focus on female education and empowerment in more repressive places.

Comment

Originally posted by xraygoggles View Post
                              Don't even need to reach 30m to make a difference, but would def fund a lot of scholarships, especially in poor 3rd world countries. Also give to charities that focus on female education and empowerment in more repressive places.
                              You can do a lot in education for very little. My church funds a parish school in Haiti. Modest cost relatively speaking.

Comment

Working...
                              X