Hunting Land

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hunting Land

Does anyone on the forum hunt? It seems like fast cars, bicycles, boats, and travel are well represented. Maybe it’s not cool to say you hunt, but not every hunter is a dentist shooting a beloved lion on a leash.

My family does here in the rural Midwest. Mainly whitetails with rifle more recently black powder. I posted recently about the prospective purchase of land, so we will see how that pans out. As always, a few bad eggs alter society’s view of an entire group.

Comment

I fish and dream of fishing. I grew up hunting. Gave it up because i like fishing better. Not sure it makes sense but i don’t feel bad killing fish. Esp. if i buy fish occasionally in restaurants and grocery stores. My catch is “free range” “organic” “ dolphin safe” and “wild” and hopefully “sustainable & humane” but the last two could always be questionable.
      Evolutionarily i think we like going out and bringing home dinner.
      Hard to produce any food without an environmental impact. Even veggies.
      My family loves to hunt. Deer = delicious.

Comment

My family has always hunted whitetail mostly with rifles. The week of gun deer season where I live is looked forward to like Mardi Gras in New Orleans. As my kids get older and I get a little more free time I’m hoping to do more bow hunting.

I have thought of buying up a bunch of land and leasing it out to a hunting party. From hearsay and back of the napkin calculations it might even be financially savvy.

Comment

Originally posted by BryanMD View Post
          I have thought of buying up a bunch of land and leasing it out to a hunting party. From hearsay and back of the napkin calculations it might even be financially savvy.
          Is it really? I always thought that if you didn't have land to hunt/fish on then you just asked the landowner of where you wanted to hunt and then they'd let you hunt. At least that's how it seemed to work in the past. Where I'm from, I can't imagine it would be a good deal financially to buy land (without mineral rights) and it be a savvy financial move just to let people hunt it but I confess that I am not privy to these financials. Land can be a good investment for a number of reasons but I never thought of hunting it or letting someone else hunt it would be too high up on that list.

Comment

People are less willing to let people hunt on their land for free these days. All of the hunting lease websites have popped up. I doubt anyone gets rich off the leasing but it’s definitely an income stream.

Comment

not every hunter is a dentist shooting a beloved lion on a leash.
              Or killing the last white rhino Just kidding.

I have no problems with hunting as long as the meat is eaten. Not for collecting a 12 point or 15 point antlers with the head and mounting it on a wall. My next door neighbor lets a friend hunt for deer on his land.I think the deer have become savvy and knows he will not come over onto our land and now we have 15+ deer of various sizes grazing on our property. Even though they eat away those juicy spring flower shoots we just have learned to coexist with them.

I would not mind fishing since I can always practice catch and release.

Comment

People are less willing to let people hunt on their land for free these days. All of the hunting lease websites have popped up. I doubt anyone gets rich off the leasing but it’s definitely an income stream.
                I would love to own some land. I think of it as a consumption item but still would like to do it. Probably lose money. I still want to do it. Wife veto is prevention for me.

Comment

Does anyone on the forum hunt? It seems like fast cars, bicycles, boats, and travel are well represented. Maybe it’s not cool to say you hunt, but not every hunter is a dentist shooting a beloved lion on a leash.
                  I do. where are you at and what do you hunt?

Comment

Hunting leases can be a big revenue stream in some parts of Texas. The migration patterns and TPWF annual regulates the “seasons” by the target. Fishing the same. Guides , licenses and tags, leases are a big business, like $15 billio easy.
                    https://texnat.tamu.edu/files/2020/1...ation-2012.pdf

Opening of deer season, teal season etc. can empty out an office. “Gone hunting” is common.
                    Anything is possible from lowest primitive to luxury with a chef.
                    One of our VP’s liked quail, shot a lawyer.
                    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/****...nting_accident
                    You can’t make this stuff up in Texas.
                    https://www2.tpwd.state.tx.us/huntwi.../listlease.php
                    It is not cheap.

Comment

I own a tree farm and some ag land. I rent out the ag land for hunting (white tail deer) for $1100 a year, as well as rent the tillable land for farming at $150/acre. Its mostly tillable land but there are 25 acres of woods on it. Its a bargain for the hunter and his family as I know I could get much more but they have hunted it for years and are very respectful.

The tree farm is just under 200 acres and would be a hunters paradise. I could easily get over $5k a year to lease that out but I'm out there a lot and don't want anyone else there.

It would make no financial sense to buy land just to lease it out for hunting in my area. Way too expensive to make a profit.
                      Last edited by K82; 02-09-2022, 09:18 AM.

Comment

I would buy the land as a memory maker/legacy piece. If I can rent some tillable to a farmer, great. Just work out a deal to leave crop in over the fall- enough $$$ to pay for the hobby.

Comment

Originally posted by K82 View Post
                          I own a tree farm and some ag land. I rent out the ag land for hunting (white tail deer) for $1100 a year, as well as rent the tillable land for farming at $150/acre. Its mostly tillable land but there are 25 acres of woods on it. Its a bargain for the hunter and his family as I know I could get much more but they have hunted it for years and are very respectful.

The tree farm is just under 200 acres and would be a hunters paradise. I could easily get over $5k a year to lease that out but I'm out there a lot and don't want anyone else there.

It would make no financial sense to buy land just to lease it out for hunting in my area. Way too expensive to make a profit.
                          I’d be interested in hearing more about this tree farm. Is it Christmas trees? 200 acres of tree farm seems huge and awesome. I have family in northern Wisconsin that taps all their maple trees and sells the sap to a big syrup producer. They also rented out about 60 acres of tillable land to a ginseng farmer for a pretty penny. You can definitely squeeze some money out of land but I think I’d rather just keep it as pristine as possible. I’ve always wanted to own 1 square mile, 640 acres. Mostly just to know that I own a whole square mile myself.

Comment

Trespassing, adverse possession, property taxes, lawsuits from idiots who injure themselves and/or others while trespassing on your land. Lots of downsides and relatively few reasonably likely upsides.

While I don’t take a dividend investing approach to my equity investments, it looks like neither rent nor appreciation would compare with simply putting money into VTSAX and paying for a hunting lease as needed.

Comment

i grew up hunting a lot.

leasing is common nowadays.

it would be very, very hard to make money doing this

Comment

Working...
                              X