Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Craigslist View Post
    Social Media companies all fail.
    All companies fail on a sufficient timeline.

Comment

If it wasn't FB or twitter, it would be another social platform in today's connected society. Don't think AOL would have been the same result or MySpace? Today's connected world wtih 24/7 news cycle provides a megaphone to anyone and echo chambers.

The sad part is our politicians who know better have leaned into worst tendencies for their own gain with few members of conscience.

Comment

Originally posted by StarTrekDoc View Post
        If it wasn't FB or twitter, it would be another social platform in today's connected society. Don't think AOL would have been the same result or MySpace? Today's connected world wtih 24/7 news cycle provides a megaphone to anyone and echo chambers.

The sad part is our politicians who know better have leaned into worst tendencies for their own gain with few members of conscience.
        The next generation’s “society” is going to look much different than today’s and in ways we can’t even imagine now. Social media as we know it now almost certainly will be very different. Hopefully for the better.

Comment

Originally posted by TheDangerZone View Post

The next generation’s “society” is going to look much different than today’s and in ways we can’t even imagine now. Social media as we know it now almost certainly will be very different. Hopefully for the better.
          I am not so sure “society” will be different.
          The technology will certainly change. Machines are stronger and faster and more accurate than humans.. There comes a point where concentration of power create barriers of entry and to an extent harm. Society removes the barriers, and life goes on.
          Call it political revolution, anti trust, monopoly breakup or whatever. Technological advancements and breaking down barriers combined allowed FB to exist.
          When you combine technology with information and control of the information, society will at some point remove the barriers placed by a company. It is a governance issue. Government, monopoly, or society control?
          https://builtin.com/hardware/moores-law
          What information you see as a member of society is important. Machine learning and technology will greatly influence the information you get to live your life. No doubt. You have a super computer with global access in your hand.
          Not sure where equilibrium is on restricting access now or in the future.
          One would be silly to ignore a tech career. But FB is a company, that is a different question.

Comment

Still true:

Comment

I love that video. That is the first time in a long time I watched/read something and literally said out loud, “Uh oh”. This forum is about as “social media” as my life gets, but it gets you thinking about the world. Those quick dopamine hits from likes and retweets are for real.

I’m going back to giving real life thumbs up for real life interactions. And when Covid is over, it’s gonna rain high fives. (This isn’t a joke or sarcasm. A high five from a stranger when you do something awesome feels amazing.)

Comment

I don't think it's dead, yet. Might do an Amazon and be negative for 10 years and re-emerge to dominance. Who knows.

Still waiting on that Social Network sequel. I've heard it takes a dark turn

Comment

Drop the “The”. It’s cleaner.
                  Also drop the civil war inciting discourse and eating disorder training camp. Also cleaner.

Comment

Facebook / Meta has successfully offended half the population of the US with their political correctness and censorship , what did they expect ?

Comment

I dunno, I just bought a 100 shares after spending all weekend saying id never buy FB.

Comment

Originally posted by Random1 View Post
                        Facebook / Meta has successfully offended half the population of the US with their political correctness and censorship , what did they expect ?
                        It's not dead yet Jim.

Comment

My son-in-law to be is a senior software engineer on the cusp of higher management. He works in educational software, a bit lower stress but way less compensation. He is currently earning in the 200's.

He is being recruited by Facebook/Meta, with total compensation for the new position in the 700's. Whoah!

He says that Facebook has to offer these crazy numbers, more than Google and the other FAANGs, because they are uncool and even considered toxic by many in the younger generation. He is on the fence whether he should make the move or not. The two of them, a young couple, are already earning ~500k combined, and they consider the "impact" of their work as being extremely important.

Different generation, shifting values....

Comment

Originally posted by White.Beard.Doc View Post
                            My son-in-law to be is a senior software engineer on the cusp of higher management. He works in educational software, a bit lower stress but way less compensation. He is currently earning in the 200's.

He is being recruited by Facebook/Meta, with total compensation for the new position in the 700's. Whoah!

He says that Facebook has to offer these crazy numbers, more than Google and the other FAANGs, because they are uncool and even considered toxic by many in the younger generation. He is on the fence whether he should make the move or not. The two of them, a young couple, are already earning ~500k combined, and they consider the "impact" of their work as being extremely important.

Maybe. It could be that a lot of people still had ethics. Just not as visible. Might be starting to realize that “snake oil” is still being sold, just rebranded. “OMG, this company has been scamming all the while”. Just a different product/service being sold. The sales pitch usually has a mix of fact and fiction. The impact is global nature of the business, not the individual.
                            I will let you comment on which FAANG company is considered a bad actor to be avoided. Or the best of the worst. GoFundMe that had the power to confiscate donations for one fund and redistribute as they see fit? Hey, donations crowd funding is a good thing. I am very glad they didn’t “confiscate JJ Watts Hurricane Harvey Fund. Social Media power can be abused. Glad to see that things are not always what they appear to be.
                            Ethics don’t go out of style.

Comment

Originally posted by White.Beard.Doc View Post

Make the leap and start the planning on taking them down from the inside!

Comment

Originally posted by Random1 View Post
                                The offended the other half as well. I quit using it because they switched to that “newsfeed” format. So basically because of not enough censorship. I want to know what’s happening in my friends lives. I don’t want to hear everyone’s opinion or get the news on there.

Comment

Working...
                                X