Bizarre cases

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bizarre cases

With a large forum of doctors there must be a huge number of bizarre cases we all come across. I thought it would be interesting for us to share some of the weird/rare/bizarre/tragic/fascinating cases we come across. Here are a couple I have seen:

I was working a night shift and a pt came in with a knife injury. He and his sister were fighting and the sister stabbed him with about a 6" knife. She came down with the knife into his neck. It entered the thoracic inlet. I read the CT that was done. I could see the air track of the blade going into the thoracic inlet and down between the great vessels, trachea, great veins and down to the aorta. No vessel laceration! She missed every vital structure. It was unbelievable. He lived to fight with him another day.

A sad case I have been following is a young lady with a bx proven breast cancer. She did not want traditional treatment, she was seeing a holistic provider that told her about the horrors of caner treatment. I did the first follow up ultrasound on her and went to talk to her about my findings. Her husband was with her in the exam room. The cancer had increased in size. I implored her to get traditional treatment for her cancer while it still looked contained. Her husband became upset with me and told me I was discouraging her from following what they knew to be the best care for her. The last I saw her case she had diffuse mets with a pathologic femoral fx. Very sad.

What interesting things have you seen in your field of practice?

I see a lot of people get stuff stuck up their butt.

The question was about work, right?

Comment

ditto for my most bizarre.

”one in a million, doc. one in a million . . .”
      “. . . And the LORD spake, saying “First shalt thou take out the Holy 401k. Then shalt thou save to 20%, no more, no less. 20% shall be the number thou shalt save, and the number of the saving shall be 20%. 25% shalt thou not save, neither save thou 15%, excepting that thou then proceed to 20%. 30% is right out . . .””

Comment

Practicing without a license. And wondering why when you read about some of the criminal charges why they were practicing.
        Back to your topic.
        Texas man plays piano during brain surgery in Houston.
        https://www.khou.com/amp/article/new...5-2220a503c6b8

Comment

One bullet, four holes.

Comment

Originally posted by CordMcNally View Post
            One bullet, four holes.
            colonel mustard in the billiard room with the revolver
            “. . . And the LORD spake, saying “First shalt thou take out the Holy 401k. Then shalt thou save to 20%, no more, no less. 20% shall be the number thou shalt save, and the number of the saving shall be 20%. 25% shalt thou not save, neither save thou 15%, excepting that thou then proceed to 20%. 30% is right out . . .””

Comment

the craziest thing i have ever seen in my life was a case where the complaint was "demonic possession."
              let's just say that during the course of this case it was not at all clear that the complaint wasn't an accurate assessment.
              there are a dozen people who were at the hospital that day (including some health care professionals) that would swear to you that it was.
              there was documentation in the record that people assessed this situation and believed the person in question to be possessed.
              i obviously do not believe in demonic possession because i don't believe in supernatural beings, however i will say that were i inclined to believe in such a thing i probably also would have suspected possession to be the case.

not kidding. it was 11/10 bonkers level insanity from start to finish.
              to this day i am not quite sure what happened.
              honestly probably the weirdest experience of my life not just the weirdest case.

Comment

are we talking 360 degree head rotation and projectile vomiting?

Comment

Originally posted by MPMD View Post
                  the craziest thing i have ever seen in my life was a case where the complaint was "demonic possession."
                  let's just say that during the course of this case it was not at all clear that the complaint wasn't an accurate assessment.
                  there are a dozen people who were at the hospital that day (including some health care professionals) that would swear to you that it was.
                  there was documentation in the record that people assessed this situation and believed the person in question to be possessed.
                  i obviously do not believe in demonic possession because i don't believe in supernatural beings, however i will say that were i inclined to believe in such a thing i probably also would have suspected possession to be the case.

honestly probably the weirdest experience of my life not just the weirdest case.
                  Did you…did you consult a priest?

Comment

Wow, that sounds bizarre! What specifically was the pt doing?

Comment

Isn't it pretty clear throughout history that all these people had severe illness of some kind, mostly schizophrenia or related mental health disorder? I am not a psychiatrist, but I saw some very sick mentally ill people during my training that a person in the 1600's would say they were possessed.

Comment

An old lady in the ICU who had developed an incidental cough had a sputum sent to my lab - when I looked at it, I saw Strongyloides stercoralis on the smear. Totally unexpected diagnosis, and no one could figure out how she picked that up.

Comment

When I was in med school many moons ago I took a history from a Vietnam vet who had depression. I assumed all the typical reasons for the problem and was shocked to find that he was depressed because the war was over and he couldn't kill people anymore. He loved killing people. I imagine you folk in psych see that occasionally but it was a bit surprising to me.

Comment

Originally posted by CordMcNally View Post

Did you…did you consult a priest?
                            lol the one case where the chaplain is running the show

Comment

Originally posted by Panscan View Post

lol the one case where the chaplain is running the show
                              I just got a vision of a priest standing in the room barking out orders like running a code.

"Recite 4 hail Mary's!"
                              "Prep the holy water!"
                              "Give me those Rosary beads you don't know what you are doing!"
                              *pass donation tray*
                              "Have him stand up sit down and kneel a half dozen times"
                              Last edited by Lordosis; 02-02-2022, 08:49 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X