So what’s your side hustle ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So what’s your side hustle ?

I recently heard of a urologist who had a very successful food truck business and it got me thinking what are some of the side hustles physician engage in outside of medicine.

So I figured I’ll put this question out there to find out what other people do.

It's tough for a physician to have a side hustle that out earns their primary job but I think many do it for the challenge. Real estate is likely going to be one of the most common ones.

Comment

My side gigs are weekend coverage at area hospitals. I make 1.5x my weekly salary, step in and out while avoiding the politics. I also have two residential rental properties that I manage myself to keep costs down.

Comment

Lately in addition to credit cards, I’ve been opening up new bank accounts for bonuses. I made about $900 last month, should manage around the same in January.

Comment

Medical chart reviews for a consulting service, works about to be around $35-40k.
          Last edited by Random1; 01-18-2022, 08:27 AM.

Comment

Would politics count? The pay is worse than volunteering, but it is definitely work.

Comment

Tried real estate... realized I hated it and even though I did well, if I used the time working extra in medicine I would have come out ahead with less headaches.

I do a credit card every now and then - about $3k a year. Not much, but better than a kick in the pants.

Comment

Originally posted by Random1 View Post
                Medical chart reviews for a consulting service, works about to be around $35-40k.
                Sounds like a decent gig. Care to share how you got involved? How much time does it take up a month?

Comment

He's not a physician (his wife is a dentist), but this attorney has created an entertaining blog about all of the strange side gigs he does.

Comment

I usually do them on weekends, I tend to get up early so I am up for a few hours before everyone else. Though each review comes with a specific due date, which means I may get the case and it is do the next day, so then I will have to do it after I come home at night. Most work out to be about $200/hr. I have been doing these for almost 20 years. It gives you a great perspective how others practice around the country, I don’t do any legal cases or ones that require deposition. Though most cases require specific state legal knowledge for the care. Most are patient conflicts with insurance companies in regards to denials. Some involve hospital care, so reading through a 1000 page hospitalization on your free time , may not sound appealing to most. As far as getting into the business, you just need to search out medical review companies. I am just an independent contractor, so I really don’t have any internally dealings with the companies.

Comment

Originally posted by BruinBones View Post
                      He's not a physician (his wife is a dentist), but this attorney has created an entertaining blog about all of the strange side gigs he does.
                      I like that he is a Simpsons fan but I just do not see how a lawyer driving for Uber makes sense.

I get the draw to a side hustle. Passive income, more income, diversification. But I feel you would have to get somewhere near your hourly rate to even consider it. As a physician that would be hard to do.

Comment

Originally posted by Lordosis View Post

I like that he is a Simpsons fan but I just do not see how a lawyer driving for Uber makes sense.

I get the draw to a side hustle. Passive income, more income, diversification. But I feel you would have to get somewhere near your hourly rate to even consider it. As a physician that would be hard to do.
                        Guessing he indirectly benefits a decent bit because these stories make it onto his blog which then generates the lions share of his return on time invested. I think I saw on there somewhere all these side hustles make him 15k a year or something.

Comment

I have a side hustle in RE investments. I am now retired from clinical medicine but started this when I was actively working. Since my clinical practice involved shift work I was able to juggle this pretty well. Some might say I was lucky timing wise, since I started at the time when RE was crashing. However, I wouldn't call it luck. I had looked at RE on and off over the years but had trouble making the numbers work. I took another look in 2010 and found the numbers more appealing. So it wasn't dumb luck, but a conscious decision to get into the space. While I didn't keep an exact log of my hours I'd estimate it was less then 10% of the time I devoted to clinical medicine and with appreciation, mortgage paydown and rents I averaged 40% of my full time clinical earnings. Additionally, I enjoyed the work. Spending a leisurely afternoon with my friend a realtor looking at properties was much less stressful than my clinical work. Now in semiretirement the rents are providing a six figure tax deferred income. It doesn't cover all our expenses, but more than covers the essentials. I think it's an area that's good for a lot of professionals to consider. You have some advantages over the "pros". You can get to know your target area and unlike the stock market your competition is limited. If your income supports it you can get fixed 30 year financing on up to ten non commercial properties. The "pros" would love to get that kind of financing. The "pros" are dependent on finding deal after deal to make a living, you only need to find one deal every one or two years. What would your retirement look like if in addition to your 401K you owned 10 investment properties generating income every month. And I've never gotten a call at 2AM for a leaking toilet.

Comment

Originally posted by Lordosis View Post

Do you really want to see more patients?
                            I do chart reviews because it's easy and hassle free. Depending on the day I can sometimes do at work

Comment

Originally posted by childay View Post
                              Do you really want to see more patients?
                              I do chart reviews because it's easy and hassle free. Depending on the day I can sometimes do at work
                              Agree. As busy as I am clinically, the last thing I want to do in my off time is more clinical work. My New Years Resolution is actually to work less this year

Comment

Working...
                              X