Are you paying any stupidity taxes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TheDangerZone View Post
    The auto renewal that burned me was The Athletic, a sports journalism website. They had a three month free trial and when it expired, it renewed for a year. I think it was $80 bucks or something. I usually set a calendar alert whenever I’ve got a free trial going but I missed it this time. Pretty annoyed but at least the writing is pretty good.
    Yeah they’re pricey, but the writing and content is top-notch.

Cousin writes for them and got some decent equity in his initial contract to come over, which worked out well considering they just got bought by NYT for over $500 million.

Comment

Originally posted by bovie View Post

Yeah they’re pricey, but the writing and content is top-notch.

Cousin writes for them and got some decent equity in his initial contract to come over, which worked out well considering they just got bought by NYT for over $500 million.
      That’s awesome, glad to hear the writers were able to get a piece of that buyout money. This post reminded me to cancel my subscription and when I logged in today to try and do just that, they last ditch counter-offered with $20 for 12 months. Couldn’t turn that down.

Comment

Originally posted by pit.alumni View Post
        Looks like at least a few still have a landline. I kept mine but got Ooma. Cost is now $6/ month. Yes, the only ones that use it are telemarketers and a rare legacy call. But it’s worth it to have a number to give out and avoid spam on my cell.
        I use Google voice for a free number to give people I don’t want to give my real number to. Can also get texts. I turn the notifications off so I never even know when it “rings”.

Comment

Originally posted by TheDangerZone View Post
          The auto renewal that burned me was The Athletic, a sports journalism website. They had a three month free trial and when it expired, it renewed for a year. I think it was $80 bucks or something. I usually set a calendar alert whenever I’ve got a free trial going but I missed it this time. Pretty annoyed but at least the writing is pretty good.
          I wonder how the New York Times’ purchase of The Athletic will effect its content. I agree, it has been pretty good so far.

Comment

do not buy them, but some buy that warranty for all appliances in your home for about 700/yr

Comment

Originally posted by Kennyt7 View Post
              do not buy them, but some buy that warranty for all appliances in your home for about 700/yr
              I feel like that’s a popular thing for the seller to include in a house purchase. Of course, things have probably changed in the last few years with the housing market.

Comment

I have those four 20-somethings that I am trying to get off the payroll.

Comment

I have never purchased them but those protections plans they try to sell you when you buy a toaster seem like a dumb idea.

Comment

My biggest stupid tax was paid at the end of residency when a neighbor got me in to what was basically a Ponzi scheme. She didn’t lose all her money, I did. Luckily it was sub-10k. Still. Oh and I hung out with a guy who was into individual tech stocks right around 99-01, following his lead was an expensive mistake compared to vanguard index funds.

Comment

Originally posted by Lordosis View Post
                      I have never purchased them but those protections plans they try to sell you when you buy a toaster seem like a dumb idea.
                      I bought an overpriced office/gaming seat for my kid at staples had a brain fart and inadvertently got one of those 2 year warranties for $6.99 for a $69.99 chair. 6 months later, the seat stitching busted open on the seat(yeah, too much gaming). I took a photo of the tear and sent it, with receipt/warranty to the claim site. 1 week later I got a check for $69.99. Kept the chair, used some 4-0 ethlon I snaked from the clinic, just like new.

Comment

There’s a Simpsons for everything.

Comment

I never purchased a car warranty, but someone is desperately trying to contact me about it.

Comment

Working...
                          X