Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are you paying any stupidity taxes?

1. We still have a home land line.
    2. Some local shoe store membership $29.99 annual fee that auto renews. Gets us 15% of shoes that we haven't bought from the store in like 3 years.
    3. Wife won't pay off her last 10k in student loans, so Navient continues to get its cash flow(more like trickle) from us.
    4. I think we have a barnes and noble membership that autorenews somewhere, but amazon delivers faster.
    5. Continue to play black jack 1-2 times a year. Haven't walked away from the table with winnings since med school.
    6. Buy 2-3 lottery tickets a year.

semantic point but, this is not how i or i think most would define stupid tax.

to me stupid tax is what you paid for a hard lesson e.g. premiums on a whole life policy or the loads you paid to a crappy FP.

Comment

1. I buy $100-300 of scratch offs 1-3 times a year.
      2. Paid for Planet fitness membership for 3 years during residency and didn't use it once (now I use it almost daily).
      3. I pay for spotlight boosts on Bumble

Comment

I pay for satellite TV purely for access to live sports content. I follow one out of market college team (football, basketball, occasional “minor” sports), and several of their games are on a non-network, non-ESPN channel. We occasionally watch some satellite/cable TV shows but nowhere near justifying the ~$100/month cost. Inertia is a powerful force.

Comment

Subscription auto-renewals sound like the common thread here. I am better about reining these in than most people, but I bought a computer disk clean up service once and got nailed when it auto-renewed last year. Really ticked me off because I completely forgot about it, and it was an ANNUAL renewal, so my card got charged for a year for something I didn't need. Since then, always cancel right after paying, or just avoid ever signing up.

And NEVER sign up for charity auto renewals.

Comment

I have been paying for a landline for the last year part of package, I got so annoyed with spam calls at night, we dont even have any phones hooked up to it.

Comment

Originally posted by Random1 View Post
              I have been paying for a landline for the last year part of package, I got so annoyed with spam calls at night, we dont even have any phones hooked up to it.
              Used to get annoyed at telemarketers, now I sprint to answer the phone and set it next to my piano and play a song for them. Forcible auditory penetration without consent(also known as FAPWiC). The song usually makes it to the 30 second mark before the line goes into end stage bigeminal beeping. But in the youtube world, it counts as a view.

Comment

We keep our landline because cell service is not so good indoors.

Comment

Originally posted by Lithium View Post
                  Subscription auto-renewals sound like the common thread here.
                  On a positive note, I have not paid for Road & Track in like 4 years and they keep sending me issues with a bill. Hey man, I didn't renew the subscription. I suspect I will get it for the rest of my life.

Comment

Originally posted by afan View Post
                    Same.
                    Also, use it our security system.

Comment

Originally posted by afan View Post
                      Have you looked into signal boosters?

Comment

Originally posted by G View Post

Have you looked into signal boosters?
                        ATT has been sold out for months.

Comment

-AAA $150 year auto payment. Have had it for decades. Used 1x for flat tire, very appreciative. Attempted to use it when stuck in snow but they refused to come out if not blocking road.
                          -Norton $100ish year auto payment had for decades haven’t installed it in probably 8 years.

Thank you I will at least cancel the Norton.
                          I’m hesitant to cancel AAA.

Comment

Originally posted by PWMDMD View Post

ATT has been sold out for months.
                            Supply chain shortage?

Comment

Originally posted by StateOfMyHead View Post
                              -AAA $150 year auto payment. Have had it for decades. Used 1x for flat tire, very appreciative. Attempted to use it when stuck in snow but they refused to come out if not blocking road.
                              -Norton $100ish year auto payment had for decades haven’t installed it in probably 8 years.

Thank you I will at least cancel the Norton.
                              I’m hesitant to cancel AAA.
                              Norton seems to require auto renewal. When I spotted this, they refined something like 3 years.

Last month, I got a spam email FIVE YEARS! Any questions, call this number. If anyone wants the number, call. The email was from a gmail account.

I have an old landline. Hand to unplug the answering machine. It served as a button to open the subdivision gate for visitors. New gate last year. I realize now, my cell phone now works as a backup. Duh,
                              Thanks for the reminder.

Comment

Working...
                              X