How many books did you read last year?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by VagabondMD View Post
    I included audiobooks and voted 11-15, mostly fiction. 15 is probably the number +/- 3. I hope re-reading books counts, as I re-read (listened to) the Andy Serkis narrated versions of The Hobbit and The Fellowship of the Ring. Serkis played Gollum in the LOTR movies, and he was brilliant as a narrator. I have an odd affinity for alternative versions of Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice. One of them from last year was so enjoyable that I immediately read it again (but that only counts as one).
    To me LotR is one of the true classics of 20th century literature. Plot, characters, and so beautifully written!
    My Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFF...MwBiAAKd5N8qPg

Comment

I've just about finished the Hobbit for the first time. Very enjoyable. I don't have a desire to read LOTR trilogy, it is enough for me to know they exist and that they must be better than the hideous movies based on them.

The Hobbit has glorious pacing, I can imagine myself as the child hearing it as a bedtime story, as it was originally intended, like Fred Savage in the Princess Bride.

Comment

Originally posted by FIREshrink View Post
        I've just about finished the Hobbit for the first time. Very enjoyable. I don't have a desire to read LOTR trilogy, it is enough for me to know they exist and that they must be better than the hideous movies based on them.

The Hobbit has glorious pacing, I can imagine myself as the child hearing it as a bedtime story, as it was originally intended, like Fred Savage in the Princess Bride.
        The Hobbit is a wonderful book, but seriously, it pales in the face of LotR. I can’t imagine not being very glad you read it if you liked the Hobbit.
        My Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFF...MwBiAAKd5N8qPg

Comment

Around 50, all audio. Now, MPMD, why wouldn’t you include Audio? Kamban, my life would be bleak without reading books - you should try it! Audio makes it possible for everyone at one time or another.
          Our passion is protecting clients and others from predatory and ignorant advisors. Fox & Co CPAs, Fox & Co Wealth Mgmt. 270-247-6087

Comment

Recently reread C.S. Lewis Space Trilogy (again). Incredible.

Comment

Gone are the days of reading books cover to cover , unless it’s a really niche field

Comment

I am reading more since I retired. I joined a bookclub. Most of the books the club reads are what I would call beach reads. My neighborhood has 3 "free" libraries. Someone is putting some classics in there. I am reading HG wells "the invisible Man" now. I recently read "all quiet on the Western Front" and Hemingways "the Old Man and The Sea" . I picked up a non-fiction by Marc Morris "the Anglo-Saxons"...I like history if it is well written. I read 15 plus books last year possibly 20.

Comment

Originally posted by MaxPower View Post
                  I chose 11-15. I mostly read non-fiction books with some fairly dense prose, so it takes me a while to get through them. Last year, as an example, I read The Meritocracy Trap, The Tyranny of Merit, and A Matter of Honor (about Pearl Harbor, as I think there are a couple of books with that title). My kids want me to read the Harry Potter series so I usually read one or two of those per year, but can get through those in about a week since it’s light reading.

Last year I realized I had never read 1984 or A Tale of Two Cities, so I read those, and have been trying to check off a list of books from 100 Books to Read in a Lifetime:
                  https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/..._Readers_Picks
                  I’m up to 30 off that list now, but quite a few of those on the list I have no interest in reading. I seem to be stuck on World War 2 history books at the moment (currently reading Indianapolis, and got a Pacific War trilogy for Christmas that will take me months to get through), but I seem to go through phases in my interests.
                  This is a good list. I bet I have read half of them at least.

Comment

Originally posted by Hatton View Post

This is a good list. I bet I have read half of them at least.
                    Yes, good list but eclectic. I’ve read most. Have not read several of the more serious modern fiction items, but my wife has read many of them and I just couldn’t get interested.

Comment

I read and listen quite a bit. Prior to retiring, my group was always comparing the books we were reading and someone noted that we seemed to always be reading non-fiction for some reason. Now lots of time to read anything and audiobooks do add another welcome option. I find our libraries are very well stocked with eBooks and audiobooks and all of the libraries share titles now so very helpful. On the fiction side, I have always been a sci-fi buff.

Comment

Working...
                      X